Thread: Longleaf pines

Default Longleaf pines

A few months ago, I had about eight acres planted. My question is, are there any good programs out to help with things like habitats, burning the underbrush after they are older etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Browning A-5 View Post
    A few months ago, I had about eight acres planted. My question is, are there any good programs out to help with things like habitats, burning the underbrush after they are older etc.
    I doubt it for only 8 acres.
    Last edited by Rabbitman09; 07-26-2021 at 02:52 PM.

Just burn them in the dormant season every couple years. Just don’t burn them after they start candling in spring. That’s all you need to do. Nothing to burning 8 acres.
    More Ducks, Less People

Get a burn permit
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

A few programs out there but for 8 acres it won’t be worth your time for the small return you will get.

Quote Originally Posted by Browning A-5 View Post
    Did you plant yourself or have it done by someone/forest service? Also, where did you buy from and how many did you plant on 8 acres? Thanks

Depending on your location, you could make some surprising money raking for straw.

I wouldn't mind having 8 acres of Longleaf within 3-5 miles of a metro area.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I had someone plant them. They plant trees for International Paper. Not sure how many he planted.

My plan is to sell the pinestraw, but never cut the trees down.

Your children will cut the trees.

Quote Originally Posted by GMAC View Post
    Your children will cut the trees.
    Probably.

Contact your local county extension agent for help. Free.

Call your local NRCS office. There’s money for long leaf out there. Check the long leaf alliance too.

I work with a yankee that ships tractor trailer loads of straw to the northeast. Sells it for close to $20 per bale and $10 more for spreading it. He advertised it as "bringing vacation at the beach back home" with a picture of a typical landscaped North Myrtle Beach condo entrance on his website.

You’ve probably got about two years before you can put fire through them without any risk of hurting them. In the mean time I would bush hog in between the rows (assuming they are row planted) at the end of each growing season. And perhaps even spot spray any undesirable trees, like sweet gum and random scrub oaks, that may pop up. Doing those things will set you up for good fuels on the ground to carry a slow backing fire once the time comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

My brother is having alot of issues with Guatemolians stealing his straw.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

leave up a sign that says "we cater to hondurans" and it will really piss them off.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.