Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hiring drivers

Insurance companies and their premiums are 99% of the cause of log truck shortages. If we get 10 applicants only 2 of them will be accepted by the insurance company and most likely they will want to add some surcharge in order to put them on if they have any blemish at all on their record. The bad part is they didn’t have to even be charged at fault. It’s insane how much just the premiums have gone up in the last 4-5 years on top of tires, oil, and just normal maintenance cost.

Don’t forget the industry had a chance to get ahead of all this trucking issue years ago and ignored it. It’s not going to get fixed in a hurry.

I’m currently in the process of getting my CDL. I don’t wanna drive but I’m not scared to do it either.

12 years ago I was tasked with writing a report on improving the trucking industry for a major mill. I covered several topics but one of them that stuck out the most to me during my proof read was “changing the culture”

If we would have started changing it 12 years ago it would have made a huge difference where we are today.
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Quote Originally Posted by Lawdog View Post
    Insurance premiums, lawyers, unemployment checks, containers, and flat beds
    The first 2 are more detrimental to the trucking industry than any government regulations.....and that's saying a lot!

I know this is thread looking for drivers and I wish you the best of luck on finding some good ones, but the truth is our whole industry from the buying all the way to the trucking needs a reset and I don’t know exactly how to begin with that.

Quote Originally Posted by jevans View Post
    Insurance companies and their premiums are 99% of the cause of log truck shortages. If we get 10 applicants only 2 of them will be accepted by the insurance company and most likely they will want to add some surcharge in order to put them on if they have any blemish at all on their record. The bad part is they didn’t have to even be charged at fault. It’s insane how much just the premiums have gone up in the last 4-5 years on top of tires, oil, and just normal maintenance cost.
    Premiums are directly correlated to losses. Companies are tired of losing and that is why you are seeing fewer companies wanting to write log trucks.
    cut\'em

I ain’t f’n with any man that eats lemons as a snack. Probably washes it down with gasoline…
    Btw, you won't hear me apologize often, so you may want to put that in your sigfile. ~Mergie

Tort reform is the only answer at this point.

It’s Never going happen, but it would solve a lot of problems, both past, current and future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    now Hogan can fuck off on here all day and call it work, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mhogancu View Post
    Tort reform is the only answer at this point.

It’s Never going happen, but it would solve a lot of problems, both past, current and future.
    In my limited exposure, that seems to be the only logical approach to making things better. Until the Akim Anastapoulo’s are gone, insurance for trucking is going to be through the roof.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

I’ll write health insurance on all your employees. Not exactly the insurance y’all are talking about but it might be an incentive to get better employees and keep them on.

From what I’ve heard about truck drivers from the folks I know that employ truck drivers there’s a damn good reason the insurance is so high.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    From what I’ve heard about truck drivers from the folks I know that employ truck drivers there’s a damn good reason the insurance is so high.
    Most of them can’t even shift gears anymore. It’s a damn shame. Commercial drivers are being overtaken by steering wheel holders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TXFowler View Post
    Most of them can’t even shift gears anymore. It’s a damn shame. Commercial drivers are being overtaken by steering wheel holders.

In my opinion there is no respect for the position of “Professional Driver” it has been belittled by all parties to just “driver”. I hope it changes soon.

Every corner in Union, Newberry, Chester and Fairfield county has signs looking for log truck drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNSON View Post
    In my opinion there is no respect for the position of “Professional Driver” it has been belittled by all parties to just “driver”. I hope it changes soon.
    Ms Daisy agrees.
    so does morgan freeman
    But its all the rage these days.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

anyone would learn to respect that position if they had to ride in the back of a utv with you at the helm.

truth
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by TXFowler View Post

Dealt with OTR drivers for a while...Lots of horror stories of drivers trying to knife receivers, trucks getting impounded for drugs, tons of cargo hostage situations etc...