Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Habitat Management

Default Habitat Management

So I have a little over 30 acres of standing timber along side around 50 acres of a hay field. I am trying to get gone most of the sweet gum and some ceder that has been left and it is all over the place. The place has lots of persimmon, black cherry, water oaks, some white oaks, locust. My main question is..... What is the best method to go about killing these shade tolerant undesirable trees to allow some sun to hit the ground? I have been told to go in and do some hack and squirt on about 5 to 10 acres at a time and burn the following year.... What has worked for this crowd and has seen some good results.... Thanks ahead of time for the discussion......
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Hack and squirt or ring 'em. I prefer the former.
    Carolina Counsel

Hack and squirt. Now is as good of a time as any to do it
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

How long after would the tree show distress to know if you need to reapply a treatment?
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Good video to watch

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    How long after would the tree show distress to know if you need to reapply a treatment?
    I did about 100 trees back during April, followed the guidance on number of hacks per inch of diameter, straight glyphosate, the leaves were crispy brown about a month later, I don't think a single tree survived.

Did a small test area this past weekend to see how it would go about 3 acres. Dropped any cedars and sprayed all the sweet gum and some winged elm trees. Used remedy 60% and 30% glyphosate with 10% water.
    Going to do another small test area at buddies house one weekend soon. Any other tips would be helpful.
    Last edited by darealdeal; 07-26-2021 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post

Good video to watch
    Thanks!!

...Any other tips would be helpful.
    The hardest part is getting out there and doing it. You'll smoke them with that. Sucks fighting thickets in briar pants in the heat, but the sooner you spray them, the sooner they die and dry up. It still will kill them just as dead if you wait until fall or winter though.

Question. How many trees at a time yall recommend spraying. I mean this spot is pretty think and the canopy is closed so I am think pretty much every sweet gum/winged elm or any other trash I see but do not want it to become a problem with to much dead standing at a time. We walked and did a small 3 acres but I would say between the cedars, sweet gum, and winged elm maybe saving 15 to 20 trees that are water oak, cherry and a hand full of locust.

As long as you can burn it, you aren't going to kill too much.

Question. How many trees at a time yall recommend spraying. I mean this spot is pretty think and the canopy is closed so I am think pretty much every sweet gum/winged elm or any other trash I see but do not want it to become a problem with to much dead standing at a time. We walked and did a small 3 acres but I would say between the cedars, sweet gum, and winged elm maybe saving 15 to 20 trees that are water oak, cherry and a hand full of locust.
    IMO you have two issues. one is unwanted smaller shit trees and the other is the canopy. you arent getting much more sunlight whacking the understory.
    you'll have to take out some larger trees.

its fun. just go kill the shit you dont want and let the shit you do want flourish.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

10-4 thanks fellas.

and sharpen your bush axe

you really should be saving those smaller trees for bedding applications

What 2th is trying to say is you need to hinge cut to make buck beds.

unsavory

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    you really should be saving those smaller trees for bedding applications
    Good bedding cover is from the ground up not head high
    80-20 Genaration

they are just being mean

but there is a technique to hinge cut trees and have them fall together to create a bed. if you go pro (or happen to be in a hunt club that I am a member of), you can create a bed specifically for a buck.

granted, I think its fucking stupid. the mistake I made was saying it out loud. now all these yeah-hoos make fun of me.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    they are just being mean

but there is a technique to hinge cut trees and have them fall together to create a bed. if you go pro (or happen to be in a hunt club that I am a member of), you can create a bed specifically for a buck.

granted, I think its fucking stupid. the mistake I made was saying it out loud. now all these yeah-hoos make fun of me.
    Haha I wasn't going to hinge cut any of them. I think the growth will be enough once the canopy opens up.