Thread: Latest Brown top planting

Default Latest Brown top planting

What’s the latest anyone has planted millet? Sunflowers were eaten up by the deer and was thinking of replanting this coming weekend with millet for later in the season, will it have time to mature? Only about an acre, the millet I planted in June is looking pretty good.

I may have a spot at my place if you’re interested. Field is beside Fuji
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post
    Where the old driving range was?
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    Where the old driving range was?
    Nah there’s a big warehouse there now. Mine is down Puckett Ferry Road, literally right across the street from Fuji

It’ll make. It will just be shorter.

Sorghum 45 days, plenty of time. White millet/ dove proso pretty fast as well, but I would go with bigger seed at this point. Just my 2 cents.

I plant about 6 acres of sunflowers for the doves every year. I've tried all kinds of remedies to keep the deer out of my fields. The one I use now is malorginite in small bags on post around the field. I also collect hair from my Barber and mix it with grated Zest/Irish Spring soap and water in a tub. I put a glob of this on paper plates on the ground around my field . This method has kept the deer out for the last three years. Once the plants mature and put on flower heads the deer won't bother them anyway.
    You are late in the game to plant now. Except for the last season. Maybe.
    Easiest thing to do now is prepare a SMOOTH seed bed and broadcast wheat on Oct. 1st..

Nah there’s a big warehouse there now. Mine is down Puckett Ferry Road, literally right across the street from Fuji
    Ooooo I know where that field is. Work at 96 with Ellis.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    Ooooo I know where that field is. Work at 96 with Ellis.

Small world. Stop by the house one day when you are down this way.

The length of day and night signals late season plants to hurry up. They will make just fine,....but plant height will be shorter.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Millet will make it if you get it in the ground in July or first week of august.

Someone mentioned sorghum above. I would not risk that now. It definitely takes longer. At least 90 days.

Definitely interested, let me know. I usually plant wheat October 1st, for a couple good shoots. But thought if the millet would mature might hold some doves later in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Model12 View Post
    I plant about 6 acres of sunflowers for the doves every year. I've tried all kinds of remedies to keep the deer out of my fields. The one I use now is malorginite in small bags on post around the field. I also collect hair from my Barber and mix it with grated Zest/Irish Spring soap and water in a tub. I put a glob of this on paper plates on the ground around my field . This method has kept the deer out for the last three years. Once the plants mature and put on flower heads the deer won't bother them anyway.
    You are late in the game to plant now. Except for the last season. Maybe.
    Easiest thing to do now is prepare a SMOOTH seed bed and broadcast wheat on Oct. 1st..
    deer will eat the piss out of a sunflower head.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

like it's their job.

We had around fifteen acres headed out, big ole pretty heads when our pampered deer decided they like sunflowers. they ate damn near every head. the next year we started fencing, once they decide they like something, they're like scorned women.

Glad I seen y’all mention that they will still eat the heads. I had wondered when or even if I should take my fence down. Think I’ll leave it up