Thread: Rod Recommendation?

Default Rod Recommendation?

Looking for a good, budget friendly conventional rod to put a Talica 16 on. Don't be fooled by the reel, which is well above my normal price point. Planning to spool it with 50-65 lb braid and 100 yds of 30lb mono. Will see multiple uses, primarily trolling for meat fish/kings and bottom fishing.

Would like the rod to be below $200, preferably closer to $100.

Open to input on the intended use as well. I was looking for a couple of Tyrnos 30's to go with my TLD 20's but this kind of fell in my lap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shimano Tallus.

What are you using the reel for?
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

look up Pinnacle Rods on Thehulltruth. He makes good stuff for your budget.

Multi purpose...my offshore/nearshore setup is pretty limited. Light trolling plus live bait/bottom fishing.

I looked, but not sure if it was an older post. So many options that my eye started twitching..

Quote Originally Posted by Lowcountry Boy View Post
    Multi purpose...my offshore/nearshore setup is pretty limited. Light trolling plus live bait/bottom fishing.
    The Pinnacle rods are very heavy and stiff. I have 8 of them, 2 bent butt Sword 50/80, 2 high speed bent butt and 4 jigging rods, I do not recommend them for what you are trying. Top notch quality but not nearshore stuff.

Bottom fishing is jigging rods. St. Croix MOJO is a good light rod or the OTI Fathom Blade which, are my favorites, my favorite bottom rod/reel weighs in at about 1-1.5lbs. Believe it or not, we use a good many of the Tsunami jigging rods and rarely break one. I'd stay away from the Star conventional jigging rods, I've broken about 15 of them over the years (they refuse to replace any more), never broken a spinner though. Cheap would be the Ugly Stick Tiger Lite, they have the feel of a broom handle but they are tough.

If you opt for a boat rod and want cheap, I'd still look at the Tsunami and the Ugly Stick.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Thanks, I have two Ugly Stiks that I got from you with TLD 20's and they've been good to go. Was leaning towards Star, good info.

https://www.starfishingtackle.com/pa...p-conventional

This is what I put my speedmasters on. Have had them for a year and no issues but only use them trolling for the most part. I feel like I could cast a rattle trap with my 16's.

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    https://www.starfishingtackle.com/pa...p-conventional

This is what I put my speedmasters on. Have had them for a year and no issues but only use them trolling for the most part. I feel like I could cast a rattle trap with my 16's.
    How do you like the smaller reels for trolling? Braid with a mono topshot? Live bait primarily or ballyhoo/lures?

I have a handful of Star rods and have enjoyed them. I’m not trolling , mainly artificials inshore, but the quality is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowcountry Boy View Post
    How do you like the smaller reels for trolling? Braid with a mono topshot? Live bait primarily or ballyhoo/lures?
    They work great but can wear you down more than winching in 15 lb dolphin on a 50w. I've caught sheepshead on the same rods though. Way more versatile.

And yeah, braid backing with mono topshot.