Thread: Flying to Phoenix AZ and driving home?

Default Flying to Phoenix AZ and driving home?

No place to be and no reservations. This is next week, not going hunting, just sightseeing. I can go in any direction if it's worth it. What do I need to go see besides Vegas and Grand Canyon?
    Low country redneck who moved north

Riding through the Flaming Gorge in Utah was fun on a motorcycle, don’t know how much fun in a car. Same with the Million dollar highway in Colorado unless you get something with a lot of horsepower to play with.

Five national parks in southern Utah, Arches being one of them.

We are heading to Utah first week of August going to hit three national parks.

Arches, Canyon Lands, Sedona az, Capitol Reef, Zion, Great Sand Dunes, Carlsbad Caverns could all be awesome spots to hit. Carlsbad is a bit out the way but other than that you could hit all those. I just did all those back to back and would do it again tomorrow.

Also if your doing the grand canyon, make sure you do the south entrance. which will be closer to where your at anyway.

Painted desert, petrified forest, Grand Canyon, horse shoe bend on the Colorado river, antelope canyon, Grand Canyon, Winslow Az not really worth it but neat, tombstone, grand staircase, just drive through the dessert look for the abode huts pretty cool. Arizona has been my favorite state to explore, it’s so much different than what we have here.

The above lists sound great, but I wouldn't bother with Vegas. If you just want an evening of gambling, on your way to Utah see if you can route through Tahoe.

Not sure if there's a good highway route, but the Royal Gorge area in CO is one place I missed and regret not taking the opportunity to go on that trip.

Have a great time.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Drive up from Phoenix thru Scottsdale to the Grand Canyon South rim
    Sedona, etc......beautiful. Did it with the wife not too long ago.
    Last edited by ecu1984; 07-22-2021 at 10:28 PM.

Might want to check on the rental car prices. I was told a couple weeks ago that the prices are outrages right now. Especially with renting one place and dropping off across the country. The guy that was telling me about it just got back from Utah and they booked their car 4 months in advance and someone on the same tour they were on had booked theirs 2 weeks in advance for the same amount of time and it was thousands of dollars more.

Just got back from Phoenix first of the month kicking around. Don't expect to hike in any of the National forests. They have them shut down with no access due to the extreme wild fire risk. All your site seeing will be from the car.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Drive up from Phoenix thru Scottsdale to the Grand Canyon South rim
    Sedona, etc......beautiful. Did it with the wife not too long ago.
    Practice run for your pipe dream? Spurs Up.

Wife has us a Ford Mustang convertible rented for the week. Said it was hard finding rentals at other airports. She "said" it was 800.00 for the week, sometimes it's best I not know the cost, besides it's a Ford.
    Low country redneck who moved north

What Adamb said. Had a friend that was going to drive one way and fly back, but fees for dropping car after one way trip were outrageous. He ended up flying family both ways for cheaper.