Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coax cable for power line ??

Default Coax cable for power line ??

Couple of us were given rights to fix a dove field, probably a 25 acre open field with couple big oaks around an old barn

1 power line runs along main road

Land owner told us he had some power poles out there he had never put up and to help ourselves.

Have a friend that does contract work for Duke Energy and he has a bucket truck and is going to set poles for us and his SIL works for another power company is going to rig them for us

My thoughts were we can get a 1000’ role of coax cable pretty reasonable , probably going to set poles 150-200 apart. (4 poles and going to put 2 on each side of field away from main power line (probably 300 yards away from road )

Will the coax cable work ok ?? See it all the time run to houses for cable tv/internet

Land is for Sale(honestly do not see land selling anytime soon due to location ) so really the “cheapest way out” would work for now , hate to get a fortune tied up in this and land is sold

Had a client in my office other day that works for cable company and told me he saw no reason why it would not hold up for doves

I know lot of folks on here have done these and may have some input or other ideas

Cant be any cheaper than 1/4" cable.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I feel like coax would break with the weight of a few dozen birds on a 150’ span. Who knows though. We did this on our old field with a bunch of old winch cable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

See if your buddy can get some 3#9 guy wire. I wouldn’t put much tension on coax cable, much less shoot it .
    867-5309

"cheapest way out" would be not to put up those poles.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Do birds have a preference on wire diameter? I would think 3/16" would be uncomfortable and hard to balance on.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    I would use this. I think the coax would break.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

I used 3/8 steel cable. The doves love it. I used a boat winch on the end pole to tighten the wire. Worked really well. Just make sure you have the guide wire tight first.

https://scducks.com/forum/showthread...Fake+powerline

Coax cable is a horrible idea. That would deteriorate and break

these people have in possession a virtual cornucopia of bad ideas

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    "cheapest way out" would be not to put up those poles.
    Costs zero to put up poles.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post

THANKS. That looks much better than
    Last edited by tprice; 07-21-2021 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Do birds have a preference on wire diameter? I would think 3/16" would be uncomfortable and hard to balance on.
    Correct.

Did not realize I had linked the smaller wire...

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    these people have in possession a virtual cornucopia of bad ideas
    As I am scrolling down whilst trying to think of a way to convey my thoughts, I find them already well expressed...

and I still get argued with when my statement was 100% correct.

I could've said "coax is the stupidest fucking idea, ever" but whats the point?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

You want to do a little horse trading? I’ve got what you need. Trade out some Hunts for my daughter and myself.

Quote Originally Posted by LIGMA View Post
    Coax cable is a horrible idea. That would deteriorate and break
    Negative sir. From 10+years experience with a cable company, half of that as a technician who's hung miles of it, if you hang that coax right it'll last just as long as a steel cable. Might not hold up to bird shot as well, but its not a live cable feeding service to a home or business so if it gets damaged it really doesn't matter. Plus it's super easy to hang and 150' will hold as many birds as your field has. The cable is designed to support its own weight plus ice loading in an ice storm, so it'll be just fine.

You can likely talk to a technician at your local cable company and bum a spool or 4 of RG-11 aerial cable which has the guide wire attached to it. Wrap that guide wire around a j hook hammered into a pole and you're golden. Those reels of cable come in 1000'. Once they get below 200' or so what's left might not make a 300' run, so guys just chunk it off the truck and replace with a fresh 1000' reel. There's prolly a dozen partial spools sitting behind the fence at the cable company's office.

It certainly won't deteriorate but shoot enough birds and it'll certainly tear the cable up a little bit, but as mentioned the guide wire is what matters. And it's steel, so it'll trump lead every time. If it tears up by seasons end, who cares, simply hang a new one.

I used to hang it by myself with just an extension ladder. An extra person on the ground pulling will help get it good and taught. But with a bucket it'll be a cinch.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 07-21-2021 at 04:59 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Willy serving the smarty pants types up in here, up in here.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Just stating my opinion sir. I wouldn't hesitate to do it myself it were my field. Especially knowing the dirt is for sale.

Hell, with access to a bucket truck, for an invite I'll scrounge up the coax from my old buddies at the cable company and use said bucket truck to hang the spans myself.

But looks like jtemp offered first so y'all have at it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 07-21-2021 at 02:51 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by Jtemp71 View Post
    You want to do a little horse trading? I’ve got what you need. Trade out some Hunts for my daughter and myself.

Thanks but we got it covered, guy with bucket truck will be hunting field as will his SIL

Really appreciate the offer, seriously