Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Simrad or Garmin

Between those 2, go with the Garmin. You will get highly aggrevated with the touch only screen of the Cruise especially in rainy weather or bouncy conditions. If you did decide on the Simrad at least step up to the Go series. Still touch only but a much better unit. We install the Garmin Echomap 63 on our SBX series of the 214 and 234 Tournaments. Really good units for what they are.
    Last edited by Goin Coastal; 07-21-2021 at 05:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

I'm also looking into Garmin vs Simrad. My Lowrance decided to quit powering on, but leaning towards the Garmin 74SV. Has anyone had any luck with using West Marine's price match guarantee? Bass pro has the Garmin for less than West Marine is advertising, but it's out of stock. I was hoping West Marine wouldn't look that far, but wanted to see if anyone else has got them to match the price.

West Marine price matched it, after tax it was right at $600 for Echomap74sv

I know the thread says Simrad or Garmin, but has anyone ran the Humminbird Helix models? They have a helix 5 with down imaging and their base maps have coastal maps. For $350. Seems far cheaper than either the Echomap or Cruise. I may be wrong, but I think they also work with the spot lock ilink feature. Kind of seems like a no brainer unless I’m missing something here

Simrad has much better options of upgraded maps (as does Lowrance). This was the deal breaker for me.
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

Garmin probably for "user friendly"
    Simrad maybe tad better usable technology/quality

Can i open up discussion on this.. for inshore fishing only, would you care about downscan ?

I have a Garmin 12" something or other. I really like it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by duckz View Post
    Can i open up discussion on this.. for inshore fishing only, would you care about downscan ?
    I love downscan when I'm catching shrimp deep. I can literally watch my net fall and see if I missed them or not and helps me figure out the drift.... Other than that, I hardly use it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman View Post
    I love downscan when I'm catching shrimp deep. I can literally watch my net fall and see if I missed them or not and helps me figure out the drift.... Other than that, I hardly use it.....
    As somebody who did inshore tournaments I would never use downscan. Maybe if I fished more docks for reds I would use side scan but I have that now and can't hardly get it to show under docks. For inshore its just too shallow to make a difference. In theory down scan and side scan are great but in reality FOR ME they aren't worth anything.

Quote Originally Posted by duckz View Post
    Downscan is the line green box. I rely on it more often than sonar..Screenshot_20210727-113351.jpg

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 07-27-2021 at 10:36 AM.

For almost all inshore saltwater fishing, there is little use for downscan. Maybe shrimping as mentioned or vertically dropping baits to redfish in Charleston Harbor. Side scan would be useful for fishing docks and open water. If you meant inshore as in freshwater, refer to Catdaddy.

I’ve never had my side scan show anything on the bottom with that much clarity. I have a Lowrance elite ti2 12”

Quote Originally Posted by theoldblackdog View Post
    I’ve never had my side scan show anything on the bottom with that much clarity. I have a Lowrance elite ti2 12â€
    The key to good sidescan pics is a big screen with the SS picture going from one side to the other of the unit.......and clear water. That's a 12 inch screen.

Well I have a 12 inch screen but it’s Lake Murray so that throws clear water out of the picture

Quote Originally Posted by theoldblackdog View Post
    Well I have a 12 inch screen but it’s Lake Murray so that throws clear water out of the picture
    My picture was from Santee. Lake Murray should be plenty clear enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman View Post
    You got a pick of what they look like on downscan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Downscan is the line green box. I rely on it more often than sonar..Screenshot_20210727-113351.jpg

I need you to help me get my Garmin dialed in like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk