Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simrad or Garmin

Default Simrad or Garmin

I am looking at either the Simrad Cruise 5 or the Garmin Echomap 63cv.. anyone have either or used either to give a comparison ? The Simrad has $50 off right now and cheaper, but I have always used Garmin.

I have a simrad.

The cover for the data cards would never stay on. Finally broke off, assuming while going down the road, flapping in the breeze.

Simrad wants silly money to replace a piece of shitty engineering.

Otherwise, a good unit. No experience with a Garmin.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I had Simrad Evo2's on my last boat and they worked great. Have Garmins on the new boat and haven't had any issues with them yet. Have a Garmin 7" with side scan on the small boat and its been a solid unit but the base map sucks.

both show they come pre-loaded with maps
    simrad is 5" & garmin is 6"- but Simrad is $400 (after rebate) vs Garmin $499

I am open to other brands, I have used the Garmin but never used Humminbird

Simrad here. I just put EVO3s on my boat and love it. No experience with the Cruise. Is that a multi-function unit or just a chart plotter?
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/garm...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Bass Pro is showing this in stock now for a little cheaper than the six inch. I have the 94sv and have been pleased so far. Have no experience with the Simrad. Check to make sure, but I think the ones ending in odd numbers come preloaded with lake maps and the even numbers come preloaded with coastal.

I have a Simrad G07 xse on my boat and am very happy with it.

Our big boat has simrad units and smaller boats have garmin, they are both good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Also watched a bunch of YouTube videos and hooked the Garmin up to the motor through a NMEA cable, and it seems to communicate well with the Yamaha 150.

I’ve got the Garmin 63cv and just upgraded to the 74sv for the ability to run livescope. I liked the chartplotter on the garmin and the downvu sonar is nice for finding structure.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian" - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by wbrown609 View Post
    https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/garm...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Bass Pro is showing this in stock now for a little cheaper than the six inch. I have the 94sv and have been pleased so far. Have no experience with the Simrad. Check to make sure, but I think the ones ending in odd numbers come preloaded with lake maps and the even numbers come preloaded with coastal.
    Good find, but yes your right about it having lake maps, not coastal maps.

Love my Garmin!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

You may want to check the 63cv that you mentioned as I think it is preloaded with lake maps as well. Just depends on what you are looking for.

SO right now West Marine has the Cruise 5 for $400 after rebate or Cruise 7 for $425 after rebate. The million transducer styles out there are making this more complicated than needs to be.
    Unless anyone has a better option that might be it.. ?

https://www.simrad-yachting.com/simr...al-83200-xdcr/

Ran some Evo3 16” simrads over the weekend and they were nice, still love the Garmin though. That being said a 5” screen is to small go at least 7”.

I highly doubt you will be happy with the Simrad Cruise, do a little research on it. It is their cheapest model and has a horrible processor and is very slow to the touch screen input. I don't necessarily have an issue with Simrad, but I'd definitely step up to the GO series. It also does not track well with the GPS. I have a Garmin echomap and I love it. Simple to use... The 63 will be preloaded with lake maps, 64 will be loaded with blue chart costal maps.

the difference in the os or the price either way is not enough for me to switch what I have experience with and used to.

Get the biggest screen.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman View Post
    I highly doubt you will be happy with the Simrad Cruise, do a little research on it. It is their cheapest model and has a horrible processor and is very slow to the touch screen input. I don't necessarily have an issue with Simrad, but I'd definitely step up to the GO series. It also does not track well with the GPS. I have a Garmin echomap and I love it. Simple to use... The 63 will be preloaded with lake maps, 64 will be loaded with blue chart costal maps.
    yes it is their least expensive model. I am really just looking for a bigger screen with coastal maps. I don't need downscan, sidescan, 1' contours, etc. I had the 44cv before, but I sent it back last week because the buttons were sticking and Garmin just issued me a refund instead of fixing it. I am glad because I thought that screen was too small anyway.
    I would get the 63cv, but the Simrad has a $75 rebate making it much cheaper right now.

Garmin 100%