Thread: Manufacturers Statement of Origin

Default Manufacturers Statement of Origin

Purchased a boat and brand new yamaha outboard from a dealer in Tennessee back in April. Sent my paper work in to DNR to register and just got returned as incomplete for not having an accompanying MSO for the outboard. Dealer didn't include it with the with the owners manual and doesn't have it anymore (tenessee doesn't title outboards).... called yamaha, apparently only the dealer gets a copy.... what are my options to get this thing titled? It tooks 3 months to get the rejection back the first go round. I've called dnr for a week and cant get anyone on the phone at the office that deals with boat titling...

I would get a written statement from dealer explaining that they lost the only çopy. Also ask the dealer for a brand new motor in place of the one you have now. That ain't going to happen, but it will let them know how serious this matter is to you.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 07-13-2021 at 08:39 AM.

Or, just tell DNR to piss off.

I haven't titled a motor in this state in YEARS.

Fuck 'em.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Title the boat in another state that doesn't title motors.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    I would get a written statement from dealer explaining that they lost the only çopy. Also ask the dealer for a brand new motor in place of the one you have now. That ain't going to happen, but it will let them know how serious this matter is to you.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    If you have an attorney as a friend, ask him to copy and paste your request on his letterhead and mail it certified.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post

Fuck 'em.

That's how I rolled when my boats were registered in SC. I had the registration checked a few times for the boat, never was I asked for the motor documents.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    That's how I rolled when my boats were registered in SC. I had the registration checked a few times for the boat, never was I asked for the motor documents.
    Anyone know the fine for not having a motor titled? I was gifted a 6hp and really don't want to deal with the hassle of DNR just to use it a couple times a year where I might get checked.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    My man.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by welltaut View Post
    Anyone know the fine for not having a motor titled? I was gifted a 6hp and really don't want to deal with the hassle of DNR just to use it a couple times a year where I might get checked.
    Last I heard it was ~$150.

My time and heartache is worth something.

If I get cited, I'll mail them a check for the required amount with a photograph of my middle finger stapled to it and keep rolling.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

Fuck 'em.
    I like this approach....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

The SC DNR titling and registration office is run by idiots. Marine Theft Investigation Section = helpful and uses common sense knowledge about what’s a law and what is BS office policy

The week after I received my registration sticker for my new Tohatsu, Richland county and DNR were mailed a letter that I had just “sold the motor out of state in a private sale”

Whoever the dealer is can log onto YMBS and request a duplicate MCO/MSO. Very simple process...What is the name of the dealer?

Call (800) 635-0736, option 3, Extension 7679. Tell them your situation and give them the dealers info. The dealer will have to pay $25 for a duplicate but that's their problem
    Last edited by failed@usc; 10-21-2021 at 12:47 PM.
    "Fear God, Love your neighbor, and shoot ducks"

Quote Originally Posted by failed@usc View Post
    Whoever the dealer is can log onto YMBS and request a duplicate MCO/MSO. Very simple process...What is the name of the dealer?

Call (800) 635-0736, option 3, Extension 7679. Tell them your situation and give them the dealers info. The dealer will have to pay $25 for a duplicate but that's their problem
    The 7 month ordeal came to a close today. A motor purchased from a non-titling state is not required by law to have a MSO... titling and registration's "policy" is that all new motors new will have the "original" MSO, regardless of where it was sold. I was able to obtain a copy of the MSO several weeks ago and sent that in with the returned application. Titling wasn't satisfied with the copy so they mailed the application with all the original paperwork (and my personal check) to the dealer who hasn't given a rat's ass from the start. Took 3 weeks and twenty calls for the supervisor in the titling office to even acknowledge that they received the application the second go round. Luckily, I had already opened an investigation with the Marine Theft Investigation section several weeks back, their representative told me day before yesterday once the affidavit hit her desk it took about 5 minutes to verify the origin. MSO wasn't required this whole time, motor was sold in Tennessee. Send copies of whatever you have left with another check since the dumbasses in titling mailed off your original paperwork. Called back today, my priority mailed copies had arrived and title would be mailed out tomorrow with stickers and registration in two to three weeks.

Last I heard it was ~$150.

My time and heartache is worth something.

If I get cited, I'll mail them a check for the required amount with a photograph of my middle finger stapled to it and keep rolling.
    I like your style

Bill of sale for the motor (notarized) and a pencil tracing or photo of Yamaha serial tag should do it
    if bought from a non-title state.

That’s all that required. Some people can’t see beyond policy

Good luck dealing with whatever County you reside when they figure out you haven't been paying taxes on that engine
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

^^^ somebody had to say it.