Thread: Garmin Handheld - maps

Default Garmin Handheld - maps

I just ordered a new Garmin Montana 750i. Have you all found the Garmin base maps are sufficient? If not or even for the heck of it, are you downloading other maps? If so, what are you using? Are the Garmin City Navigator maps sufficient for for navigating WY and MT?

Onx
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Onx
    That's a given.

I went this rout for both on road and off road navigation. Apparently their new base map has some sort of variation (not by name) of Onx showing public vs private and land ownership.

Can you load maps to it from basecamp?
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by BugBuster View Post
    yes...

I had to look it up
    Last edited by reeltight; 07-15-2021 at 05:58 PM.

Isn't / hasn't basecamp been replace with Explore?

I am not sure. I use a garmin 200i now and the maps download over WiFi rather than from basecamp.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

I am not sure. I use a garmin 200i now and the maps download over WiFi rather than from basecamp.
    From the explore app or explore online you can download maps and they will sync to my garmin Montana. However the 750i came with North America base map, topo map, public lands map and city navigator as well as basic marine. You can install a micro chip with maps or download to the device.

The explore app makes it easy to plan. For example, we are headed out to Yellowstone soon. I can look at explore online and mark POI’s as waypoints of things to see and when my garmin syncs the waypoints are there. I’m still learning this thing…it’s almost overwhelming what all it can do. My complaint as with everyone’s complaint about it is it’s size. It’s big. Almost too big for a handheld but would be nice paired to a garmin watch and leave the Montana in a backpack. The appeal about the Montana 750i is that it truly is a do it all gps unit from trails to road, to marine (can download in-depth charts), aviation, in-reach, and on and on.

I have wondered why Garmin hasn't caught on that the form factor of their handheld stuff is terrible. They are bulky and have small screens. We are all used to looking at full screen phones and Pad devices. I can barely see the small icons and such on my dog tracking GPS. I recently saw an ad for one of their dog collars that paired with your phone. Maybe they are finally getting the message.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I have wondered why Garmin hasn't caught on that the form factor of their handheld stuff is terrible. They are bulky and have small screens. We are all used to looking at full screen phones and Pad devices. I can barely see the small icons and such on my dog tracking GPS. I recently saw an ad for one of their dog collars that paired with your phone. Maybe they are finally getting the message.
    The new Montana 750i is a bit bulky but it has anything but a small screen. Very big. Big icons and easy to use. There are certainly smaller options but not in an all-in-one package I don’t think. I’m headed out west next week for a test run.