Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diving tragedy

Same crew that he was with when he was lost initially is who found his gear.
    They suspect he had a medical emergency of some sort, ended back up on the bottom, then was attacked and/or eaten by sharks. Bcd was chewed up, rash guard, etc. Sounds like they located most if not all of his gear in one area.
    No trace of Tim’s actual body was found.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terrible. Very sad outcome.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Damn.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

This has hit us hard down here. Timmy's dad is a dear friend of mine and a physician leader at our hospital, so know them all well. Timmy was an incredible guy, full of life, always on the go. Please continue to keep his family in your prayers. I can't think of a finer group of folks than the Obi family and pray that something good comes of this tragedy. Right now it is really hard. Thanks fellas.

Terrible. Sounds similar to the young man who came up from a dive with his Dad at the CH60 a few years ago and then disappeared.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

I'm not a diver, nor have any desire....But do they use the buddy system while diving? How does this work? Just asking because I don't have a clue
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

they were in deco right at the surface. your eyes are on the prize when you're that close.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Dayum....I went to college with an Obi girl from J'ville.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Did they have any speared fish?
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    Did they have any speared fish?
    Heard one African Pomp that went into boat with other divers.

Continued prayers for family and friends.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    they were in deco right at the surface. your eyes are on the prize when you're that close.
    That's not an excuse. It's still a point in the dive to maintain contact/awareness, if that's how the dive was planned. The time to let your guard down is when everyone is out of the water, and then you monitor for other problems.

It really bothers me to read a survivor say something to the effect of, "I turned around and they were gone" in the accident report, it happens too many times. I think a common problem that many divers allow is complacency. Diving is easy until it's not. When things start to go sideways they can quickly get out of hand.

I've been teaching diving for almost 30 years. From day 1 the expectations for my entry level students are clear in respect to cutting corners or making assumptions when planning or executing a dive. There is no room for either of those, especially on the "easy" dives.

I'll get off my soapbox now.
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by gooseaholic View Post
    From day 1 the expectations for my entry level students are clear in respect to cutting corners or making assumptions when planning or executing a dive. There is no room for either of those, especially on the "easy" dives.

If it keeps somebody from getting killed, worth the soapbox.

We will never know what happened.

That's not an excuse. It's still a point in the dive to maintain contact/awareness, if that's how the dive was planned. The time to let your guard down is when everyone is out of the water, and then you monitor for other problems.

It really bothers me to read a survivor say something to the effect of, "I turned around and they were gone" in the accident report, it happens too many times. I think a common problem that many divers allow is complacency. Diving is easy until it's not. When things start to go sideways they can quickly get out of hand.

I've been teaching diving for almost 30 years. From day 1 the expectations for my entry level students are clear in respect to cutting corners or making assumptions when planning or executing a dive. There is no room for either of those, especially on the "easy" dives.

Preach. No hard feelings here.

Not making excuses but from the weather report and what I was told it was pretty shitty. 4+ foot seas. At that point at the end of the dive everyone had signaled all good.

For the non divers, imagine having 60+lbs on your back that is not really balanced, a boat ladder, a swaying boat that is also dropping up and down 5 foot, and 3-4 of you having that as your only exit point. Exit from the water is always a bit hectic as well as in the time following afterward.

Type of boat and conditions are a factor but I know on my boat it is a bitch to exit water and the only thing my eyes are on are things to grab hold of to pull myself out and prevent myself from being injured.
    If someone else is already in the boat I often take my bcd and tank off in water and have them haul it in.

Any way around it, this is a very sad situation and I hate it for all involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, stay on it. Diving is inherently dangerous. Spearing only makes it more so as focus is shifted to the target rather than what is going on around you. Just as with every boat going trolling offshore, every dive crew needs a NAZI on board to keep focus on all the things that are happening while the others aren't.

Having said that, this guy (I can't remember why I know his name), knew what he was about and you can't always Nazi your way out of a shark attack even if you see it coming...

Stay on the microphone...folks get complacent and/or think they know more than they do. Lost a fishing/diving buddy just over 13 years ago that had some problems, got separated from his dive buddy, and wound up passing from an air/gas embolism. He should have never been alone.

An older report estimated accounts for an estimated 700-800 deaths per year; etiologies include inadequate experience/training, exhaustion, panic, carelessness, and barotrauma. Denoble et al studied 947 recreational diving accidents from 1992-2003, during which 70% of the victims drowned. For more information please check Diving Lore - Scuba Diving Resources.
    Last edited by micholston; 05-24-2022 at 08:18 AM.

Sure hope there's a Nazi or 2 on todays boat my son is going out on out of MI.

Said no Jew ever

are JBiden’s bots invading this platform too?

Speaking of junior high humor:
    Word scramble….

SCDucks
    DCSucks
    uScDcks

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor