Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Dove Season 2021-22

This field is in Townville.

Palmetto Bug I am nothing more than a hobby farmer myself and by no means an expert.

I've had some burner shoots in Townville, its a great area.

Pretty field.

Do any of y'all have fields on 527 going towards I95? I went to Isle of Palms last week and on the way down and back the fields of corn and sunflowers looked great

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post
    1. I did good with my preemergents and field prep. I have to work on my post emergent herbicide application process. My field styaed super clean until the plnts were 3 ft tall and then they came on. Not sure would I can do other than maybe a backpack sprayer? The weeds arent god awful tho.

2. What spacing do you use? I planted in 30" rows and used a 6 cell corn plate on one row and a 12 cell on the other. Its the same plates I used to palnt my corn, the seed was close to the same size so i went with it.

3. I fertilized the crap out of mine at planting. I could have broadcast nitrogen when the plants were still small but that would have been ALOT of fertilizer in a short time period.

4. Mine have received a lot of moisture......and that may be part of the issue.
    Any particular reason you’re concerned with the size of the heads? Other than simple aesthetics, I don’t see any benefit. Many will argue that smaller heads are better because they contain smaller seeds, which doves prefer.

Quackhead,
    1. Unfortunately, this late in the game your options are limited and are all physically demanding. You could try a backpack sprayer, torch, or pull them by hand depending on how bad and what type of weeds. If they aren’t too bad you could wait until the plants are mature and start drying down then hit them with gly.
    2. I use an old 2 row JD Flex 71 with sunflower plates I get a lot of doubles especially with size 4 seed. I try to space them 8-10” on 30” rows. I shoot for 22,000-25,000 plants per acre.
    3. I fertilize at the same time I apply my post emergence herbice. I use 17-17-17 350lbs to the acre. Like 2th said, the top 3 of my list all point to the plants ability to draw nutrients from the soil with limited competition.
    4. My field has quit a bit of elevation change so it drains well even on wet years.

Quote Originally Posted by FULLCHOKE View Post
    I've had some burner shoots in Townville, its a great area.

Pretty field.
    Yes it is. We have had some great shoots. Opening day we typically kill 500-700. Thank you.
    Last edited by Avery1213; 07-20-2021 at 09:12 AM.

That's strong as new rope.

Quote Originally Posted by SCSwitchback View Post
    Any particular reason you’re concerned with the size of the heads? Other than simple aesthetics, I don’t see any benefit. Many will argue that smaller heads are better because they contain smaller seeds, which doves prefer.
    More food per acre. I understand the thought behind a dove preferring a smaller seed and agree but, I have also cleaned a lot of birds full of big corn kernels. Some heads are so small if you break open the hull there is no seed.

I wouldn’t be overly concerned about head size, it’s more of a friendly competition amongst buddies. Usually 2-3 plants ( 4-6” heads) in a foot of row will have just as many seeds as the single dinner plate head.

As far as weeds getting out of control, either cultivate right before canopy closure or find a guy that has a hi boy and spray it with gramoxone a couple weeks before the opener. It’s worth paying some hundos to get this done. The cultivation worked great for me this year but I got lucky with timing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Grey_Bird_Killa; 07-20-2021 at 12:22 PM.

Avery, what is your herbicide regimen? What do you spray pre and post? How much of each?

Quote Originally Posted by SCSwitchback View Post
    Bigger head would equal more seeds per head which would equal more seeds on the ground. Just my simple thinking
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post
    Bigger head would equal more seeds per head which would equal more seeds on the ground. Just my simple thinking
    Unless you have more smaller heads. When deer snip them off and they branch out and make four or five heads per stalk, it might average out.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Unless you have more smaller heads. When deer snip them off and they branch out and make four or five heads per stalk, it might average out.
    Luckily my fence have kept them boogers out so far
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

'Tha hell kind of name is Townville? Cityburg already taken? Westeastton?

Nice flowers Avery!

so, no one can tell me the 2021 season dates?

thanks

peons
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Avery, what is your herbicide regimen? What do you spray pre and post? How much of each?
    Plow/smooth, spray gly/pre at planting, apply post at 6-8 leaf stage, and I will burn the whole field down again with gly once they start drying down. I use satellite hydrocap pre at 3 pints/acre and panoramic 2SL post at 5 ounces/acre.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    'Tha hell kind of name is Townville? Cityburg already taken? Westeastton?

Nice flowers Avery!
    That’s a good question. I’m not quite sure how they came up with that one. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    so, no one can tell me the 2021 season dates?

thanks

peons
    Damn have you gotten so uppity you can't click on a link now? September 5th

thats last year.
    I clicked.

I think its the 4th. Sportin Woodies said it was the 4th...but I told someone the 4th and they said "prove it" and I cant.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.