Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Trucks?

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    You'd be 100% correct. I'm in the financial services world, and 8 out of 10 people live beyond their means. For every $50k plus truck you see on the road only 10-20% of those guys can actually afford it. That doesn't necessarily mean they can't afford the $650/month payment, it just means they're robbing Peter to pay Paul in some fashion (not saving for retirement, don't have health or life insurance, not saving for a rainy day, not supporting their kids/families, etc.)
    The government will save them.

You'd be 100% correct. I'm in the financial services world, and 8 out of 10 people live beyond their means. For every $50k plus truck you see on the road only 10-20% of those guys can actually afford it. That doesn't necessarily mean they can't afford the $650/month payment, it just means they're robbing Peter to pay Paul in some fashion (not saving for retirement, don't have health or life insurance, not saving for a rainy day, not supporting their kids/families, etc.)
    It takes a pile of $650/month payments to pay off a $50k+ vehicle...

I've been itching for a new truck lately. Granted, it's a terrible time to be wanting one. But then I quickly remind myself how nice it is not having a truck payment and that itch goes away. Temporarily.

Quote Originally Posted by Quack07 View Post
    It takes a pile of $650/month payments to pay off a $50k+ vehicle...

I've been itching for a new truck lately. Granted, it's a terrible time to be wanting one. But then I quickly remind myself how nice it is not having a truck payment and that itch goes away. Temporarily.
    7 years!!

I met my stone hauler to pay him yesterday. He was in a fuss because he had gone down to Lake Keowee with $780,000 and got outbid on the spot. 30 something huge beard mountain man type. Best hauler we have ever had. Owns one small dumptruck operation with a Dominion Power job. "I work for the power company, they will always loan me money"...

Look for some used trucks to be for sale when the evictions and mortgages become due..... Then and I have a feeling in another year or two..... Some hards times will be had as the housing market alone with the unpaid mortgages, open jobs, inflation, unpaid rent, high priced cars and trucks.... They will be for sale at some point just need to be patient. Can't see myself paying over $40 or $50,000 for a truck either. Insanity...
    On another note would like to see a truck without all the bells and whistles that is new.... To much to ask for just a radio..... Like the off road add ons now but dang everything inside is a little over kill.
    Last edited by darealdeal; 07-07-2021 at 09:33 AM.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

What would Dave Ramsey do?

I do enjoy heated / air conditioned seats... Those are a nice option.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

We are fairly frugal with our money, growing up poor makes you realize the value of your blood and sweat. We can afford anything we want- we want debt free living and the freedom it brings.

Wife and I both recently got new trucks- hers is a 2020 F150 4x4 Lariat loaded with everything but the sunroof- stickered at 70k- bought for 40k because it had 25,000 miles on it- she only drives 5000 miles/year- in 5 years it will be a low mileage truck. She wanted a Lincoln Navigator but refused to spend the money.

Mine is a 2500HD Silverado 4x4 extra cab (can't believe I'm driving a Chevy that isn't a Vette)- 2006 DNR special- power windows, locks, a/c, am/fm radio, cruise tow package, 4x4 shifter on the floor- all a man like me needs in a truck- i will beat it like a rented mule until it's worn out- and repeat with another used truck.

The old saying about a fool and money applies to new trucks.

Preach. I fight it everyday.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    I do enjoy heated / air conditioned seats... Those are a nice option.
    That heated steering wheel is the tits...

I still drive the same 2006 Tacoma that I bought new two weeks before I met my wife. Plan to hand it over to my 11 year old when he turns 15. Had been itching to buy a new truck next year as the Tacoma is getting less and less practical for a family of 6, but danged if I'm going to pay what people are getting right now for used and you can hardly find a new one. Bit ironic that I played the frugal game for as long as I did and when I finally give in to a desire, trucks just aren't available. Guess I'll keep flogging the mule until she quits or wait for things to "correct."
    Carolina Counsel

Not having a payment is nice but I’m glad I got into a newer truck when I did. The prices are dumb right now
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

I bought a tundra 2 years ago. I took it to get the oil changed last week and talked to the guy about trading in while I was there in a casual conversation. Same dealer I purchased it from. They are willing to buy it back for 4k more than what I paid them for it to begin with. Makes zero since to me. I have since called back twice to make sure I heard him right. With that said it doesn’t help because new is so high.

I bought a 2018 F150 just over a year ago. I looked up its value today with the additional 40k miles on it that I drove this past year and its still worth at least $7500 more than when I bought it according to NADA. I think I paid at or just below the price listed for rough trade-in currently

I said f@#k it…keeping mine. At Killian’s right now getting leveled / 34 Nittos and serviced.

2013 3.5 eco better hold up
    Last edited by jwterry3; 07-07-2021 at 12:14 PM.

Yeah it is.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by swampknob View Post
    I still swear there is some secret that I don’t know about. I don’t understand how people afford these 80k trucks. I cringe thinking about having to replace mine. An older truck and a civic is my current game plan when the time comes.
    It's mind boggling riding down the road seeing what so many people can afford to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by smitch320 View Post
    Not having a payment is nice but I’m glad I got into a newer truck when I did. The prices are dumb right now
    Timing is everything. I bought a new 5.0 F150 in 2017. I could have drove my 11 year old truck a few more years, but I decided to go ahead and get one while they still didn't have all the stupid features (auto start/stop, 10 speed, etc.) Glad I bought it when I did. I'd pay $10-12k more for the same truck 4 years later.
    Last edited by Remy; 07-07-2021 at 12:23 PM.

Just want a crew cab full size with a radio and 4x4.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    I bought a tundra 2 years ago. I took it to get the oil changed last week and talked to the guy about trading in while I was there in a casual conversation. Same dealer I purchased it from. They are willing to buy it back for 4k more than what I paid them for it to begin with. Makes zero since to me. I have since called back twice to make sure I heard him right. With that said it doesn’t help because new is so high.
    Just got a tundra. No where near as slick as yours though, I sprung for the bed liner, floor mats, and a center console vs the bench front seat. End amenities list. Wanted the performance proven V8 before they put them out to the pasture, and the 4runner I had wasn't gonna work much longer with my wife wanting to keep the kids in car seats until their old enough to drive... I got right at 5K over what I paid for it a little over a year ago. I doubt I'll ever be in the position to drive a vehicle for a year and make money on it again in my lifetime