Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunday Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    I notice you didn’t directly answer my question.

I’d agree when done right, hunting has minimal impact/disturbance.

Do the majority of SC public land hunter’s do it right? Idk, based one what I’ve seen on the sc deer hunting fb page, I’d say probably not. They kicked me off of there permanently but I doubt much has changed

Also I honestly can’t remember ever seeing another person on WMA that wasn’t a hunter.
    The "when done right" is the same argument used by gun control lobbyist. They want to decide who when where and how. I'd hate to see us use those same arguments against this.

How someone hunts, as long as it is legal, isn't the concern. Some don't like the use of dogs to pursue game. But I'm not asking them to. Hunters as a group are being targeted and restricted from public land use. It's discrimination at a minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    My point is there are 40 states that allow unrestricted Sunday hunting. Out of those none have any of the issues mentioned to a degree where people are lobbying to restrict Sunday hunting on public or private ground based on these concerns. They simple do not exist in those states.
    Because half the people from those 40 states have moved into SC...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

All for Sunday hunting. I find myself hunting private land Sundays many times after walking a few miles on private land to find birds I can't hunt until next Saturday.. My main reason is the state owned land and hunter opportunity. I am all for taking restrictions away for hunters. As many have said before many others states offer this and none of the problems discussed come close to being an actual problem.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

I'm not totally sold on the "there are already 40 states that have a successful Sunday hunting program"

Look at the states that do have Sunday restrictions and compare that with hunter density maps.

There is a little correlation. I do believe there is traction to the argument of keeping hunters out of the woods one day of the week in states with a high hunter density.

sunday-hunting-blue-laws-03062017.jpg

hunter_density__large.jpg

*the above is from 2012 but I believe that the data is very similar 9 years later*
    Last edited by FULLCHOKE; 07-07-2021 at 09:45 AM.

My point is there are 40 states that allow unrestricted Sunday hunting. Out of those none have any of the issues mentioned to a degree where people are lobbying to restrict Sunday hunting on public or private ground based on these concerns. They simple do not exist in those states.
    10-4. I misunderstood.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    I completed the survey. I’m probably the only one that’s against the Sunday hunting. I just think the animals need a break like any other property that’s half ass managed.
    Do you think the bikers hikers horseback riders walkers give the animals “a break”? I mean are you being sarcastic or just haven’t taken the 1/2 second required to realize that what you’re in favor of does not accomplish what you also support. Should we close the lakes and coast to fishing on Sundays to give the fish a break too?
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

The "when done right" is the same argument used by gun control lobbyist. They want to decide who when where and how. I'd hate to see us use those same arguments against this.

How someone hunts, as long as it is legal, isn't the concern. Some don't like the use of dogs to pursue game. But I'm not asking them to. Hunters as a group are being targeted and restricted from public land use. It's discrimination at a minimum.
    If it were put on a ballot I would vote yes for Sunday hunting on WMA. I think we’re on the same side but just looking at it differently. I can’t quite convince myself at this point that it’s discrimination when we have access to it 86% of the time
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Regarding the non-hunter allowed use on Sunday: In all my time in public woods I have only had one encounter with a non hunter; in my belief, the impact from non hunters on Sunday is minimal. If you think the birdwatchers, hikers, hippies have such a great advantage of using the woods one day longer than is hunters can, you need to get out more.

The hikers, riders, and hippies aren’t blowing owl calls at everything that gobbles, sneaking within gun distance of a gobbling bird, harassing birds in fields, driving mud boats through a swamp, the list goes on and on.
    Last edited by FULLCHOKE; 07-07-2021 at 09:57 AM.

its pretty easy to validate your stance, no matter what side you're on....and this thread is proof.

I sure as hell aint thinking about changing based on what other states do.

I have no study to add. I have no position on bird watchers. My position is just like bad habits. I still feel weird hunting on sundays on private land....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by FULLCHOKE View Post
    Regarding the non-hunter allowed use on Sunday: In all my time in public woods I have only had one encounter with a non hunter; in my belief, the impact from non hunters on Sunday is minimal. If you think the birdwatchers, hikers, hippies have such a great advantage of using the woods one day longer than is hunters can, you need to get out more.

The hikers, riders, and hippies aren’t blowing owl calls at everything that gobbles, sneaking within gun distance of a gobbling bird, harassing birds in fields, driving mud boats through a swamp, the list goes on and on.
    So, maybe the hippies aren't out in the woods because they're afraid to get shot? A stupid hippie doesn't really hurt anyone. A stupid hunter can kill someone.

That being said, I'm on the hunter's side on this one. I just think Sunday closures help hunters. I couldn't give a rat's butt about a hippie's feelings.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

In reference to waterfowling, how many of the 40 states that allow Sunday hunting are now limiting OOS hunting days? I'm for Sunday hunting here in SC but I know there are states that restrict opening days of some species to residents only and some restrict the number of hunting days.

I see folks are concerned about OOS impact in SC if we permit Sunday hunting on WMA's. Why not make the change to residents only?
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by scdiver View Post
    If we made certain areas of public water and WMAs no motor zones during duck season, you will eliminate those "scouting" that constantly run off birds.

That and limited entry into areas will provide for a better quality of hunt rather than going hunting because you are off work.

I'm fine with adding a day to hunt certain public land, but make it make sense instead of just adding another day because "we pay for it."

I enjoy hunting public land for certain species, other times I avoid it.
    I've preached and pushed for "non motorized access areas" for years. SC is all about "hunter opportunity / days afield", sadly, not about quality of the hunt. Add Sunday WMA hunting but at the very least restrict it to residents only.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Only when you go trottin' around to other states that allow it and hunt that public land. Right?
    I don’t hunt public because of idiots..

And if I do hunt public.. It’s during the week.. When all of the poor people are at work..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    I know the rules - I am mostly a duck/swan hunter in NC. Sunday closures are a good thing for waterfowl in NC.
    I agree with you but with one caveat. The Sunday waterfowl prohibition is good, if you have the flexibility to hunt weekdays.

The unintended consequences for the waterfowl season modifications are yet to be seen. After this season I’m sure some flaws will come to light. One possible issue is the crowding of the eastern zone for the earliest split (while the western zone is still closed). It will be interesting to see what actually happens.
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter

I think rest days are important for public land.
    I understand the want to open up Sunday hunting and I am all for it but there still needs to be a rest day or two.
    So, maybe make Sunday hunting on WMA resident only but rest day on Wednesday and maybe Thursday.
    Now, there are three hunt days on either side of the rest to accommodate all sort of people's needs.
    Last edited by Calibogue; 07-08-2021 at 06:16 AM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

I like Cali’s idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you lived in fantasy land

sorry. i'm being a dick.

my point is that many good ideas just wont work in todays climate. you cant take away days from a public hunter bc the GA is connected to the DNR and poor politicians wouldnt get reelected.

so, while his idea sure makes sense, it would never pass.

We can all think rest days are important but they just aren't. Nowhere has that been documented as a negative result of 7 day a week hunting on public land. The animals don't care if you're on a bike, hiking, running, scouting or hunting. The land is open 7 days a week regardless. Hunters are being restricted. Not animal disturbance.

Would shutting down WMA entirely on Sunday be an acceptable solution?
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...