Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunday Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    And parks- lots of parks totally closed to hunting but open 7 days week for the other stuff
    I understand your point.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

But fyi, I am happy to be closed on Sundays.. there's zero part of me that wants to be open.

The conspiracy theorist in me makes me wonder if someone in our government is purposefully setting up a battle between two vocal and politically active groups...ie, hunters vs. hikers/bikers/equestrians/birders/Karens. Why pick now to "take" something from one group and give it to the other group?

Doing anything different will, without a doubt, create a political dust-up..."they" have to know that...what are "they" trying to distract us from seeing?

I rarely, if ever, hunt public land anymore except for draw duck hunts but what bothers me most about this whole thing is how surreptitious they are about setting up the meetings so they can come back later and say they got public input. It seems like they craft their survey questions, meeting times and places to get the result they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    The conspiracy theorist in me makes me wonder if someone in our government is purposefully setting up a battle between two vocal and politically active groups...ie, hunters vs. hikers/bikers/equestrians/birders/Karens. Why pick now to "take" something from one group and give it to the other group?

Doing anything different will, without a doubt, create a political dust-up..."they" have to know that...what are "they" trying to distract us from seeing?
    Change always causes friction- ask yourself why are we changing- to get better aligned with other states? Have that many people requested the change?
    If we leave it up to the hikers/bikers/birders- we won't have ANY days to hunt- they would 100% take our days if they could. I'm sure DNR wardens are against the change- suddenly be forced to work every Sunday on salary.

My family always used Sunday as intended- the Lord's day and family day- if I could turn back the clock to the time everything was closed on Sunday- I would do it 100%.

As someone else posted- I'm not poor- anymore. I remember when my only place affordable to hunt was WMA- and I still enjoy going hunting in WMAs with friends and family- I buy the permit every year along with all optional deer tags- just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    Change always causes friction- ask yourself why are we changing- to get better aligned with other states? Have that many people requested the change?
    If we leave it up to the hikers/bikers/birders- we won't have ANY days to hunt- they would 100% take our days if they could. I'm sure DNR wardens are against the change- suddenly be forced to work every Sunday on salary.

My family always used Sunday as intended- the Lord's day and family day- if I could turn back the clock to the time everything was closed on Sunday- I would do it 100%.

As someone else posted- I'm not poor- anymore. I remember when my only place affordable to hunt was WMA- and I still enjoy going hunting in WMAs with friends and family- I buy the permit every year along with all optional deer tags- just in case.
    My main point remains the OOS hunters. I have a lifetime NC license and not being able to hunt on Sundays in NC is a major inhibitor. If SC can go to a lottery draw for OOS deer and turkey, I'd be a lot less against Sunday hunting on WMAs. If states out west have to have lottery draws and they've got fewer people and a lot more land and game than we do...certainly SC can justify it.

My main point remains the OOS hunters. I have a lifetime NC license and not being able to hunt on Sundays in NC is a major inhibitor. If SC can go to a lottery draw for OOS deer and turkey, I'd be a lot less against Sunday hunting on WMAs. If states out west have to have lottery draws and they've got fewer people and a lot more land and game than we do...certainly SC can justify it.
    I may be very ignorant, but I don't see this huge demand from OOS hunters to hunt SC WMAs (especially for ducks and deer). I also think it'd be pretty easy to change OOS regulations if it did become a problem down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by PBiz View Post
    I’m not poor.. So I don’t care..
    Only when you go trottin' around to other states that allow it and hunt that public land. Right?

I'm against it too. Somewhat because of secondary uses but mostly because one of the few inhibitors to OOS hunters in SC is the Sunday hunting rule. If we forced OOS hunters to have to lottery draw for deer and turkey tags then I'd be more okay with allowing Sunday hunting on WMAs.

That being said, I'm a hunter but still liked taking the kids for a walk in the woods. I chose Sundays because it was safer. It's not only bird-watching Karens that use WMA lands on Sunday.
    Do you duck hunt public waters on Sunday?

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I'm not. While there are certainly many justifications available, a fair number of us were raised in a house that didnt allow much on sundays, including hunting or fishing. I very clearly remember my father questioning his decision as we went fishing on sunday afternoons. He did NOT let his father know for he would've been disappointed. Its the same reason I still find it odd when I see beer for sale on sundays.
    I think separation of church and state applies. Non-Christian citizens shouldn't have to abide by Christian views/traditions. And that's coming from someone who was raised exactly like you with regards to Sunday hunting and fishing. I'm also of the mind set that our forefathers may have had good intentions with what they would/wouldn't do on Sunday, but they missed the point and forced their tradition as gospel essential.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    We’ve hunted together before, the last time was actually on a Sunday so obviously I support hunting on Sundays. But serious question, during turkey and deer season would you rag that place 7 days a week all season long?

Or is it mainly the principle of the tax-paying public being able to access state owned land that you’re really rooting for?
    You and everyone making this argument over estimates hunter impact on animals and underestimates non hunter impact/disturbance on animals. It's not a valid argument and has zero data from 40 active case studies to support it.

NC is opening the majority of their game lands to Sunday hunting this year. I'm sure your inhibitions will fade as you cross the state line to take advantage of their progress toward hunter biased restrictions on public lands.

Any links to the studies?
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

BTW - I have no problem hunting on Sundays. First of all, Sunday ain't really the Sabbath. Secondly, like Jesus said, "The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath."

NC is not opening their waterfowling on Sundays even on private land. Matter of fact, I think their forced "rest" day on Sundays improves their waterfowling overall. Their Sunday waterfowl prohibition doesn't count against them so they still get 60 full days of hunting - the season is just longer.

I notice you didn’t directly answer my question.

I’d agree when done right, hunting has minimal impact/disturbance.

Do the majority of SC public land hunter’s do it right? Idk, based one what I’ve seen on the sc deer hunting fb page, I’d say probably not. They kicked me off of there permanently but I doubt much has changed

Also I honestly can’t remember ever seeing another person on WMA that wasn’t a hunter.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    NC is opening the majority of their game lands to Sunday hunting this year. I'm sure your inhibitions will fade as you cross the state line to take advantage of their progress toward hunter biased restrictions on public lands.
    I'm looking forward to that, I spent more time turkey hunting in NC than SC this year but that 45 minute drive is tough to do on a weekday. It sure would be nice to be able to hunt on a Sunday.

not being able to hunt on Sundays in NC is a major inhibitor.
    You can hunt big game on Sunday in NC (public and private) with certain restrictions related to firearms and location. You cannot discharge a firearm (hunting) between 9:30am-12:30pm or within 500 yards of a place or worship. The game lands close to heavily populated areas will not have Sunday hunting.
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter

No new laws no new taxes no new fees.

If an existing law can be trashed, trash it.

Quote Originally Posted by gooseaholic View Post
    You can hunt big game on Sunday in NC (public and private) with certain restrictions related to firearms and location. You cannot discharge a firearm (hunting) between 9:30am-12:30pm or within 500 yards of a place or worship. The game lands close to heavily populated areas will not have Sunday hunting.
    I know the rules - I am mostly a duck/swan hunter in NC. Sunday closures are a good thing for waterfowl in NC.

Quote Originally Posted by SCswampCAT View Post
    Any links to the studies?
    My point is there are 40 states that allow unrestricted Sunday hunting. Out of those none have any of the issues mentioned to a degree where people are lobbying to restrict Sunday hunting on public or private ground based on these concerns. They simple do not exist in those states.