Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trailer lights

Default Trailer lights

A few years back, 2015 or 16, there was a fella at WESCO trailers that went out on his own repairing trailers. I think he got married about that time too.

Do any of you remember who this is?

I think he lived near Lone Star or a little further down the Lake Marion area.
    Last edited by rp; 07-04-2021 at 08:43 AM.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Wesco is still around, near the airport, if you want to get your parts from there and do it yourself

Save yourself years of trouble and order pipe lights to go on your guide poles. Mine are going on 6 years in the salt and I haven’t messed with them once. Buy yourself a a three prong extension cord and cut the plugs off. Cut it in half and run it down both sides of your trailer to your guide post. Run the ground wire from the lights into your plug. The small ground wire that mounts to a screw on the frame is an awful design.

I think you are talking about Johnny Loftis. I will send you his number by text. I think it was longer ago than that though

Quote Originally Posted by carolinadrifter View Post
    Save yourself years of trouble and order pipe lights to go on your guide poles. Mine are going on 6 years in the salt and I haven’t messed with them once. Buy yourself a a three prong extension cord and cut the plugs off. Cut it in half and run it down both sides of your trailer to your guide post. Run the ground wire from the lights into your plug. The small ground wire that mounts to a screw on the frame is an awful design.
    Good idea. Thanks.

Name one set of trailer lights that make it one season.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    I think you are talking about Johnny Loftis. I will send you his number by text. I think it was longer ago than that though
    Probably was longer. Seems he went out when WESCO was bought. That has been a while.

I just bought and installed Blazer LED lights from Northern Tool. $63 minus $10 coupon. Hope they survive a few years like the last ones. My lights take a beating from other trailer pros catching them in public parking lots.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Reading further, newer GM products may not be able to handle the load of incandescent lights. Will convert trailer to all LED and see what happens. Otherwise it is a dealer only fix under warranty per notice. Damnit.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    I just bought and installed Blazer LED lights from Northern Tool. $63 minus $10 coupon. Hope they survive a few years like the last ones. My lights take a beating from other trailer pros catching them in public parking lots.
    Thanks Coonass.

Quote Originally Posted by rp View Post
    Probably was longer. Seems he went out when WESCO was bought. That has been a while.
    I handled their internet transaction when they moved from the old location in Cayce to the new one out by the airport. Think it was 2017. But the Canadian company had already bought it and changed the name to WC manufacturing, just took em a while to move operations.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

These will be my next lights. Brother n law had had them on his trailer for years and no problem. Screenshot_20210704-220621_Google.jpg
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Quote Originally Posted by coot nasty View Post
    These will be my next lights. Brother n law had had them on his trailer for years and no problem. Screenshot_20210704-220621_Google.jpg
    Those are the exact lights that come in the pipe lights. Can’t beat them.

If you have a boat where it’s possible, learning to dry launch will add a lot of life to your wiring and hubs.

Like this? ( @24 seconds)

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    If you have a boat where it’s possible, learning to dry launch will add a lot of life to your wiring and hubs.
    I'm thinking about adding the starboard material onto my bunks so I can do this. The linked Amazon lights were garbage for me. Both had sections out early.

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    I'm thinking about adding the starboard material onto my bunks so I can do this. The linked Amazon lights were garbage for me. Both had sections out early.
    Do not use starboard.
    I just use silicone spray, make sure your trailer is set up as low as possible as well.

I back it to where the wheels just hit the water, unhook and push it off.

I put this kind of bunk glides on my trailer and I love them. You damn well better have the winch strap connected when you start down the ramp though. In fact, on a steep ramp, it's tricky getting the bow hook off because the boat wants to slide back as soon as you back off on the winch.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have no advice on trailer lights, I had high hopes for LED lights when they first came out but the Chinese have ruined that idea.

It took me a minute to admit this but I am about to tackle replacing my lights on a 26ft trailer. My current trailer is the first one that’s ever had a light go out on it so....

When I buy the replacement light package at west marine, is it more then bolting them on and running the wires to the pigtail? Heading to Edisto for 2 weeks in 6 days so it’s a priority project on the list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    now Hogan can fuck off on here all day and call it work, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I put this kind of bunk glides on my trailer and I love them. You damn well better have the winch strap connected when you start down the ramp though. In fact, on a steep ramp, it's tricky getting the bow hook off because the boat wants to slide back as soon as you back off on the winch.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have no advice on trailer lights, I had high hopes for LED lights when they first came out but the Chinese have ruined that idea.
    My worry are those against gelcoat.

Silicone on the carpet has been super slick for me, I know others that use wax.

Quote Originally Posted by mhogancu View Post
    It took me a minute to admit this but I am about to tackle replacing my lights on a 26ft trailer. My current trailer is the first one that’s ever had a light go out on it so....

When I buy the replacement light package at west marine, is it more then bolting them on and running the wires to the pigtail? Heading to Edisto for 2 weeks in 6 days so it’s a priority project on the list.
    Yes, but don’t expect the packaged wiring to hold up for more than vacation.

I’d buy the lights, an extension cord, and put all connections above/out of water as said above.