Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PacNW fishing

Okie doke. Expect company. Really cool stuff Sprig!

Yeah. Ain't gonna lie. I freaking love my retirement job. I was very nervous about keeping busy in the off season. I don't golf, I don't do home repairs etc. Daylight at this latitude is like 16 hours a day.
    So, I took this on. Extremely rare I'm not having fun. Today was the exception. NW 15-20 gusts 25. I should of canceled. Halibut trip. 30 miles out beating into it. 12 clients. I guarantee 10 of 12 halibut were caught Magoo'd style. Start reeling up(750') "hey, I might have a fish". Drift was 2 knots. Solid 5-7' chop.
    I got ass rash from sliding in my seat. Couldn't leave the throttles once.
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

If there’s anyone I know that I would want to be on the throttles in those condition it would be you, but you ain’t gotta worry about that cuz FTS!

This is a first. Look behind me and see this cormorant sitting on my house roof. Sat there for over an hour.
    I had evil thoughts, but...it actually walked over and my deck hand started petting its belly.
    Thought it had to be sick, then it just flew off strong. Weird.
    E1B9B630-4BB9-477C-B929-6A757C78CABF.jpg
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Lingcod. Absolutely the finest eating fish we have. Better than halibut. Better than most in any ocean IMO.
    Ugliest fish going. Almost. I took these pics to show to ugly critters eat phenomenal.
    Lingcod are pitbulls. Lock on and never let go. Zoom in on those teeth.
    CAA7E5D2-73DF-44C8-90BC-981962A8D9CF.jpg
    2nd fish is a Cabezon. Biggest Cab brought into port this year. 15.3#. Pic sucks, but deckhand came up on ride home and said that's the biggest Cab I've ever seen. "What Cab?" Anyhoots. They taste like king crab. Ugly as sin.
    FF5CE7EE-70FA-46A3-AC4C-80D7F4CD1743.jpg
    Last edited by sprigdog; 08-04-2021 at 06:49 PM.

looks like a funky toadfish.
    and I tried to zoom in on my office cpu screen. it didnt work and no one saw me try it....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

First tuna trip of the year. We got 27. Not shabby
    8DD0CF3C-CB87-458E-8636-7A07F2981FE3.jpg

What is that? An Albacore?
    DILLIGAF

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    Looks like it to me. Caught a many of them on the Channel Islands as a lad. My Grandpa was rough on those fish. We used to dock at Avalon and the Marina folks would always bring us three things - Ice, cases of Bottle 7 Up and a carton of Camels for ol GP. He believed in staying out there until we caught all of your share too.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Two things we never ran out of - Jack Daniels and the little packs of Kraft cheese and crackers he had boxes of. I don't think I have eaten one in 50 years.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

My Grandfathers on each end - My Grandpa Joe was full blooded Cherokee. On the right is my Grandpa White. He was an incredible Captain. Pretty well known in that area. Tough on Swordfish and Marlin. His boat , the IchiBan still fishes out of Dana Point , CA.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

That's good stuff Nitro.
    DILLIGAF

Yeah, that's pretty eff'in cool. Grandpa White spend time in Japan?
    Last edited by BigBrother; 08-06-2021 at 09:59 AM.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Yeah, that's pretty eff'in cool. Grandpa White spend time in Japan?
    Hahahahaha . Looks like he forgot his RayBans for the photo.

Most accurately, the squint was probably due to the high level of JD in his blood. He was something else. Note the ever present Camel dangling and bottle of bubbly.. He died young but lived well and by his rules. All four of them were great friends. Curt Yokem was Gpa's main contractor and the other man is John Abels. He was a well known fisherman too. They were of the "catch and grease " mindset. Lots of fish died at their hands. Big billfish and sharks . Albacore in season and I have photos somewhere of a few Halibut caught off San Clemente. They worked hard and played hard.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I was remarking on the boat's name, not his squint.

IchiBan is "Number One" in Japanese.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I was remarking on the boat's name, not his squint.

IchiBan is "Number One" in Japanese.
    I know what it means. LOL!! He named the boat after his frequent use of the " You are # 1 " hand sign he frequently was photographed throwing... He did not like Asians, as the four of them all served in branches of the military in the Pacific during WW2. Irony. After his death, the family sold the boat to a Japanese family who still fish from her.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Here's a great memory. For my 10th birthday I asked for a Schwinn with Grapehangers and whitewalls. Grandpa was more than happy to oblige. Got drunk before my party. . Went to the store and picked it up. Just had to try it out. Rode it a few yards and crashed into the low dividing wall between the yard and his shop. Threw him over the handlebars. Broke the frame in two and banged his head up pretty good. I never got to ride the damn thing. He died of a massive heart attack about 5 months later.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    Yes.
    We infrequently catch schoolie BFT, dodos, Yellowtail and someone brought in a 125# striped marlin last year. 99.5% of our catch is albacore. Find them trolling, start chumming, then get the bait and jig rods out. Average fish around 15# get some high 30's.
    Best day last year was 73.