Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Inline Water Booster

If pressure and flow are good at the house, but suck at the kennel. Then its line losses between house and kennel. Upsize pipe.

If pressure and flow are just ok at house, and suck at kennel, I'd back my tap up to the meter and upsize pipe starting there.

The meter will always be your choke point, its all about loosing as little pressure from there to the destination.

10GPM in a 3/4" PEX results in a loss of +/-13PSI per hundred foot of pipe. 10GPM in a 1" PEX results in a loss of +/-3.5PSI per hundred foot of pipe.

Maybe I should just dig a well.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    Installing larger pipe will reduce the volume and pressure loss that he is experiencing because he has, I’m assuming, over 200’ of 3/4” waterline (180’ to kennel plus the run from connection to the meter)

These are some friction pressure loss charts I found.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eng...oss-d_802.html
    I don't doubt any of that info, however if it's being fed with a 3/4" pipe upsizing downstream will not gain you anything. The "loss" is already there in the supplying pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bownut View Post
    I don't doubt any of that info, however if it's being fed with a 3/4" pipe upsizing downstream will not gain you anything. The "loss" is already there in the supplying pipe.
    It’s not about gaining anything. It’s about reducing the amount of loss over the distance from the point of connection to the kennel. I guarantee his water pressure is better at the meter than at his kennel. We are simply trying to reduce the amount of pressure loss over that distance.

It comes down to reducing friction. Which can be accomplished by either shortening the run or increasing the pipe size.
    Last edited by CUduckreeper; 06-29-2021 at 11:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    It "maintains existing line pressure longer" at the source end of the hose, not where you want the water to go. "Reduced/constricted flow will maintain line pressure further down the line" Are you sure about that?

I think what's being said here is a hose nozzle will make it spray harder.

Correct....I was agreeing with your questioning of increase in pressure. Quick response this AM wasn't as thorough as it needed to be...pressure being a function of drag, velocity being the perceived increase in pressure.
    Last edited by FishSticker; 06-29-2021 at 11:29 AM. Reason: grammar

Set up a water storage tank at the kennel that can be filled with the pex line, make sure the tank holds enough water for intended purpose- connect a proper sized Jabsco pump to the outlet of the tank and hang onto your hose.

Part of what we do is pressure washing docks, some of them are 1000' long. I keep 1200' of the large commercial grade water hose on hand for this work. Most of the long docks require the water tank with outlet pump to prevent burning up the pressure washer.

I had to quit reading this before my head exploded…….

Is your dog kennel uphill from your house/well?
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    Is your dog kennel uphill from your house/well?
    No sir, they are pretty flush.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Run as big of a pipe as you can to the kennel (a tank at the kennel is nothing more than a giant ass, albeit short, pipe) then use the biggest hose and smallest nozzle you have available to spray the shit out of your kennel.

If you want to talk about laminar boundary layers then we can, but the above is all you really need to know.

I don't think that chart applies because there's no increase or decrease in elevation.
    Last edited by Rubberhead*; 06-29-2021 at 12:34 PM.

I think you are misguided.

That’s a pressure-velocity diagram. The height function is entirely contained in the pressure (y) axis and the man wanting to spray the shit out of his kennels has already said there’s no height factor at play in his shit spraying evolution.

Put your thumb over the end of the hose pipe. Viola, increase in pressure.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    How in the hell is reducing the pipe size running to the garage going to boost the pressure?
    Not pipe size, outlet.

Duh.
    Last edited by SaltMuck; 06-29-2021 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Wanted to add a duh in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

You’re wrong. Putting your thumb over the end increases velocity…….

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    That’s a pressure-velocity diagram. The height function is entirely contained in the pressure (y) axis and the man wanting to spray the shit out of his kennels has already said there’s no height factor at play in his shit spraying evolution.
    I believe you but the way I read it the pressure drop is 0 foot of head per 100 feet of pipe to the curve is actually just the bottom line, ie the x-axis, right? If so, the pressure drop is read off of the right-hand vertical axis scale and is 0? What am I missing?

Are the dogs in the kennel force fetched?

Yes, at zero flow there is zero drop in pressure over 100’ of pipe. And that’s only at 0/0, or origin, of the graph.

The bigger the pipe the higher velocity you can have without a significant loss in pressure. This is a function of not wiping away the laminar boundary layer and causing turbulent flow. The graph of the pressure drop could be expressed as the rate of change of the Reynolds number as velocity increases if you really want to get down in the ditches on this, lol.