Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Inline Water Booster

Default Inline Water Booster

Someone help me out here, my eyes are going to cross soon.

I've got 3/4'' pex line that is tapped into my house, running 180' across my yard to a dog kennel. As you've already guessed, the pressure sucks. I'm looking for an inline booster that is simple and doesn't take an engineering degree to make work for me. Prices seem to be all over the place with amazon $100 models up to little giant $1400 rigs.

I know one of you has been through this before. And I can't get a licensed plumber to return a phone call.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Reduce to 1/2.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Reduce to 1/2.
    This. I reduced a 1.25” line to a 1/2”. Basically a stationary pressure washer now.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

How in the hell is reducing the pipe size running to the garage going to boost the pressure?
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; 06-29-2021 at 07:48 AM.

If my reading comprehension is up to par, I see where he is suffering from low pressure at the dog kennel and I'm inferring he's not able to spray the dog shit out of the kennels, or fill water bowls at a rate in which he is satisfied. He didnt mention anything about the well or distance to the well just from the house to the kennel.

If he's got problems from the well to the house, that's a totally different critter and it involves a new pressure tank, most likely.

I'm not a plumber but I know shit flows downhill and you dont chew your fingernails if you do a whole lot of plumbing.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    How in the hell is reducing the pipe size running to the garage going to boost the pressure?
    Water will naturally create the most efficient balance of flow rate and pressure possible...Reducing volume actually doesn't "increase or create" pressure, it merely maintains existing line pressure longer. Reduced/constricted flow will maintain line pressure further down the line. Think thumb over the end of the hose...it will "spray" harder but take you longer to fill up a 5 gallon bucket than an open hose.

I installed one on a chopped up water system years ago and man was it a headache. Yours sounds pretty straight forward.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    Water will naturally create the most efficient balance of flow rate and pressure possible...Reducing volume actually doesn't "increase or create" pressure, it merely maintains existing line pressure longer. Reduced/constricted flow will maintain line pressure further down the line. Think thumb over the end of the hose...it will "spray" harder but take you longer to fill up a 5 gallon bucket than an open hose.
    It "maintains existing line pressure longer" at the source end of the hose, not where you want the water to go. "Reduced/constricted flow will maintain line pressure further down the line" Are you sure about that?

I think what's being said here is a hose nozzle will make it spray harder.
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; 06-29-2021 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Reduce to 1/2.
    reducing pipe size will increase velocity but lower water pressure. Wes you probably should have run a 1" line to the dog kennel. Sorry I don't have any knowledge of booster pumps.

This video should help prove my pipe size statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    reducing pipe size will increase velocity but lower water pressure. Wes you probably should have run a 1" line to the dog kennel. Sorry I don't have any knowledge of booster pumps.

I think you are right. I need more flow and pressure. The booster would give me more pressure at about the same cost it will run me to tap into the main (county water) and run a larger line (1.5''?) to the kennel. Wish I would have bit that bullet from the start but I tend to need to learn the hard way.

Thanks, everyone.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Do you have good pressure and flow at your house where you initially tied in? You could go up in pipe size to your kennel and that will reduce the amount of friction loss you are getting right now. Also you could tie in closer to your water meter and run larger pipe, 1.5'' like you said to your kennel. I know all that is more work but it beats worrying about a pump in my opinion.
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    Do you have good pressure and flow at your house where you initially tied in? You could go up in pipe size to your kennel and that will reduce the amount of friction loss you are getting right now. Also you could tie in closer to your water meter and run larger pipe, 1.5'' like you said to your kennel. I know all that is more work but it beats worrying about a pump in my opinion.
    I have great pressure in my house. But I crawled under there this morning to see where the main came in and realized that the entire house was serviced by a single 3/4'' line out of the main. No wonder I couldn't get it out to the kennel, right? So, I'm just gonna go to the main in front of the house and run from there, once I can source all the PVC for this fun project.

Question, could I run 1.5'' pvc to about 75' of the kennel and then tap into the 3/4'' PEX that is already in place? Or do I need to run it closer and reduce it at the kennel?

3/4" is probably what is on the city/county side of the meter as well. Installing a larger pipe from the meter out will not give you more water (volume or pressure) if it's being fed by a 3/4" line. Make sure your valve at the meter is all the way open. Make sure you don't have a pressure reducing valve on the line going to your house (lots of them do), if it does tap in ahead of it to go to your kennel.

Quote Originally Posted by Bownut View Post
    3/4" is probably what is on the city/county side of the meter as well. Installing a larger pipe from the meter out will not give you more water (volume or pressure) if it's being fed by a 3/4" line. Make sure your valve at the meter is all the way open. Make sure you don't have a pressure reducing valve on the line going to your house (lots of them do), if it does tap in ahead of it to go to your kennel.
    Where might one find this pressure-reducing valve?

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Where might one find this pressure-reducing valve?
    Most are under the house. I had one on mine with your exact situation. My kennel was about 70 feet behind the house. Couldn't get much out of it at all. Located it right where the line comes in under the foundation. About 70 psi on the "street' side of it and 45 psi on the house side of it. Reconnected my line to the street side and good to go.

Most are under the house. I had one on mine with your exact situation. My kennel was about 70 feet behind the house. Couldn't get much out of it at all. Located it right where the line comes in under the foundation. About 70 psi on the "street' side of it and 45 psi on the house side of it. Reconnected my line to the street side and good to go.
    I didn't see anything like that this morning when I was tracing it all back to the main. Plumbing is fun..

I ran a 1.5" line 1500' down hill to my house. 100' shy of the house I tapped in with a 3/4 yard hydrant for the kennel. You talk about pressure!! Definitely had to put a pressure reducer on the house also.

The PRV will look like something similar to the below. It could be under your house or near the water heater. It could also be in the yard in a separate meter box, but I doubt it. Most counties require them so I doubt your house doesn't have one. They are also adjustable. Typically factory set to roughly 45PSI. You DO NOT want to turn this setting up as you can mess up the fixtures in your house with too much pressure.

prv.png

Installing larger pipe will reduce the volume and pressure loss that he is experiencing because he has, I’m assuming, over 200’ of 3/4” waterline (180’ to kennel plus the run from connection to the meter)

These are some friction pressure loss charts I found.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eng...oss-d_802.html

First you need to consult turbo