Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tagged Cobia

Default Tagged Cobia

Ended a 3 day stretch working the dive boat yesterday. After getting the boat tied in on the wreck I saw this guy and a friend pestering an Atlantic Stingray. I was looking for grouper but changed my mind when I saw the tag. Shot it through the gills so it was much easier to handle when I was ready to string it up.

I’m interested to get the data and migration information from NCDMF. I don’t recall ever seeing another tagged fish offshore.

0C597E58-B316-4C9B-BC78-B62909443FD8.jpg

81F47C09-3067-413C-9BA6-42382D6A2586.jpg
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter

Heck yeah!

Let us know.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Hell yeah

Cool deal. I was hoping to see an after photo of that fish grilled or baked. Fine work.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

SCDNR has been using a few guys and tagging/taking fin clip genetic samples from cobia in the last few years. Recreational taggers have been getting some, too. Post the info when you get it.

We caught a tagged one in the broad river years ago but it wasn't a DNR tag. Can't rightly recall what place it was but it was about an inch too short to keep so we wrote down what we could see on the tag and tossed it. Seemed like it was some private place down there.

Is that a SC or NC tag? I put dart tags like those in snappers and groupers here. AJs too when we sequalize them.

NCDMF tag. I have a former student that worked on a cobia tagging project last year as part of his undergrad work. I was hoping it was a fish he had tagged but the cobia tagged by NC State had both a red and yellow tag.

Cooked the "scraps" (belly and ribs) last night and put the bigger portions in the freezer. They were good!

Several years back there was a Cobia tagged in either South Carolina or North Carolina that ended up being caught in Destin Florida. The range of fish travels is truly an amazing thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

if I am not mistaken, they travel up from Florida every spring
    That is why we start catching and seeing them in numbers around May/June
    They run up not too much further than the Chesapeake Bay area, spawn
    and eventually work back down

NCDMF has been adjusting the creel limit on cobia. Starting today Rec fisherman are only allowed to keep 1 per trip per day and the “For Hire” license holders can keep 1 per person (up to 4 per day as long as there are 4 or more people on the boat). Minimum fork length limit of 36” still applies.

Commercial can keep 2 per person but no more than 6 fish per day (if more than 3 people are on the boat).
    Last edited by gooseaholic; 06-30-2021 at 01:31 PM.

I think one of the reasons for the increased tagging efforts in SC is that our waters support local and migratory cobia. DNA from fin clips support this, I believe. One population moves offshore during the cooler months, and the migrators move up the east coast and get caught, too.

Quote Originally Posted by scdiver View Post
    Is that a SC or NC tag? I put dart tags like those in snappers and groupers here. AJs too when we sequalize them.
    As it turns out it IS a SCDNR tag. I reached out to the program coordinator with the NCDMF because I hadn't heard anything about the fish. She thought someone had reached out to me from her office but they had not.

The "SCDNR" is really difficult to read because the tag is discolored at that point. Obviously I didn't look closely enough. Makes the catch even more interesting to me. I just submitted the information online.

Does anyone know if you are given the data (size, location, etc) from when the fish was tagged?

Quote Originally Posted by gooseaholic View Post
    As it turns out it IS a SCDNR tag. I reached out to the program coordinator with the NCDMF because I hadn't heard anything about the fish. She thought someone had reached out to me from her office but they had not.

The "SCDNR" is really difficult to read because the tag is discolored at that point. Obviously I didn't look closely enough. Makes the catch even more interesting to me. I just submitted the information online.

Does anyone know if you are given the data (size, location, etc) from when the fish was tagged?
    Should give you size and all data from the initial tagging and if it was caught and released in between you catching it again.

Thanks for the info. I'll share anything they send.

Quote Originally Posted by gooseaholic View Post

I know the biologist that works with the cobia. Let me know if you don't hear anything and I can holler at him if you want.

The ling festival in Mexico Beach brings back fond memories of when I was young.

They should send you a report from initial tagging data and also all subsequent catches.

Quote Originally Posted by scdiver View Post
    They should send you a report from initial tagging data and also all subsequent catches.
    All that and a shirt!

The shirts last year are pretty cool. Hope this year is similar!