Thread: Well, Wyle E Coyoite caught the road-runner...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

While I'm thinking about it, do any of you trad shooters overweight yourselves and use a short-draw/no anchor method of shooting? I did this with the bow pulling way heavier than I'm used to pulling with 3, four arrow groups. By the time I was on the last group, I was trying to draw more to full draw, and the last two arrows were not great, but still a kill on a whitetail, but the first 6 or 7 arrows were short draws and just pushing at the target and releasing prior to ever having a solid anchor, and I was throwing groups about the size of that painted dot into the other edge of the bale. Ryan Gill shoots this way, and anything that dood does as far as killing creatures with primitive stuff has some merit and is worth considering. This was accidental/happenstance for me, but I think I'm going to get the bow to 70# first and try flinging a bunch of arrows this way to see if the first shots were just an anomaly.

I don't know all the pros and cons of shooting like that; Ryan just says its what works for him. I guess it never allows you, when you are shooting instinctively, to let the arrow tip in your peripheral vision and your brain (which always wants to aim) get in the way of just letting it fly instinctively. It also certainly frees up shooting from a bunch of positions especially in spot and stalk situations where traditional full draw and anchor shooting might not be possible.

Anyhoo, if any of you shoot like this, tell me about it. Here is a vid of Ryan shooting a 70# at 26" bow with about a 22" draw. I've seen others shoot like this in random vids on the yootoob, and the folks all seem to shoot pretty lights out.

Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 07-12-2021 at 03:54 PM.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!