Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Well, Wyle E Coyoite caught the road-runner...

Getting my gear list knocked out slowly but surely. Just got all the layers of truoil on. I'm waiting to add the spar until I test it thinned out and wiped onto an old bow limb before I apply it. I stung it up, and after 30 3.4 pulls on the tillering rack, it had jumped up to 60# at 25". That eventually settled into 62.5# at 28". I'm shooting it pretty good, but I need to build up over the next three to four weeks. She isn't done quite yet, but we are getting close. Here are pics while she's still glossy. Oh yeah, I definitely got under the crack, and the tip is holding perfectly. Very quiet and shock free shooter.
    ;;;;;;
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 08-03-2021 at 08:25 PM.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Now that's BAD ASS!!

That is some great work. I hope it draws some Blood.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

You do awesome work.

That really is bad ass! Good luck out there!

Thanks y’all. I’m happy with the progress I’ve made from bow 1 to bow 7 for sure. I built identical strings for this bow and my Jeffery, braced them the same 6.5”, and found a 10gpp arrow for each. Both arrows were cane and the Jeffery arrow was 538 grains and the other was 624 grains. I bought a chrono, not because I’m a speed freak, but more to figure out what design changes result in better cast. Through the chrono, the Jeffery topped out at 172, and this bow topped out at 169. Since then, I’m getting 168-170 consistently with a 10gpp arrow. That said, my bow shoots the 538 grain arrow better and I’m hitting 180 fps with that set up, so I’m freaking thrilled with that. I don’t know what I’ll end up with as far as exact arrow length, spine, tip and overall weight…I’ve got about 50 hours (just straightening) worth of cane shafts of varying lengths and spine, and Im trying to figure out what length and spine will get me the most matched arrows out of that pile. It’s hurting my brain! Regardless, this bow will absolutely kill any animal in North America if I can make it send an arrow to the right spot. Time is flying, and I am as excited and nervous and anxious as I’ve ever been approaching any opening day.

Question for the experienced western hunters. I’ll also ask this to those that pm’d me with recommendations. Why would anyone choose to go with a floor less tent? Has anyone ever used a hammock sleep system, and if so, what are the biggest drawbacks to using that type of sleep system? I think I’ll be able to find appropriate trees easier than I’ll be able to find level ground.

Sorry if I’ve asked this before, but I’ve got so much swimming around in my ADD riddled brain that I’m having a hard time keeping track of the info. Thanks in advance.

Oh…the arrow I was shooting thru the jeffry with the string I was using on it was over spined and not tuned to the bow well, so I figure a well spined and tuned arrow of the same weight would have been traveling at least 5fps faster. With a fast flight string, the same arrow was not over spined, and it was hitting 177-181. I do not want to give the impression that the Classic Hunter was not out performing my bow…I’m just happy that mine is shooting on par with it.
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 08-08-2021 at 09:55 PM.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!