Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Miami condo collapse

I know of building inspectors that were in cahoots with unlicensed GC's in dade county. I'm sure it happens all over.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    Code enforcement has always been carried out by know nothing gov't employees.

Hurricane Andrew exposed nothing.
    Preach!

Sure it happens. I was thinking folks actually got prosecuted for being on the take.

Quote Originally Posted by SCDAWG View Post
    Sure it happens. I was thinking folks actually got prosecuted for being on the take.
    Has to be proven, I'd imagine.

My biggest gripe on the whole government employee is that at worst they lose their job, and get shuffled in the pool to another position so the wont lose their benefits. Betraying the public trust should be a felony.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

On the list of "ways I don't want to die"
    Having a 12 story concrete building collapse on me is right up near the top of the list

Quote Originally Posted by Kioti View Post
    All female architects?
    Nope - wrong type of construction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Nolo Contendere; 06-24-2021 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolo Contendere View Post
    Nope - wrong type of construction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That bridge they built down in Florida ended up looking like a sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Kioti View Post
    All female architects?
    You mean structural engineers? Architects usually know little about structural design of high rise.

99 unaccounted for according to a local(Miami)news outlet...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    You mean structural engineers? Architects usually know little about structural design of high rise.
    Not to mention that this one is at the beach in prime hurricane real estate. It should have been built to withstand much more wind, water, foundation undercutting, etc. than the same design built inland...

Default Miami condo collapse

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Not to mention that this one is at the beach in prime hurricane real estate. It should have been built to withstand much more wind, water, foundation undercutting, etc. than the same design built inland...
    The codes have changed a bunch and are by county now all of South Florida requires a design for a Cat 5 storm winds. The Panhandle is still behind. I don't think any of Florida is designing/coded for a major storm surge. Charleston is taking it serious with new construction. Knock out panels are an interesting design.
    Last edited by Bigtimber2; 06-24-2021 at 05:52 PM.

My dad has a good friend from high school who is a structural engineer. At the time I talked to him about going to college for structural engineering, which was 20 years ago, he told me that his company is one of 10 in the country to design stadiums. He then got into the stress level of the job and crazy insurance premiums. One thing he told me, and it has always stuck with me, he said, “A brain surgeon can make one mistake and kill someone. I can make one mistake and kill thousands.” Praying they can find many survivors of the missing 99 people.

Quote Originally Posted by BEAR View Post
    My dad has a good friend from high school who is a structural engineer. At the time I talked to him about going to college for structural engineering, which was 20 years ago, he told me that his company is one of 10 in the country to design stadiums. He then got into the stress level of the job and crazy insurance premiums. One thing he told me, and it has always stuck with me, he said, “A brain surgeon can make one mistake and kill someone. I can make one mistake and kill thousands.” Praying they can find many survivors of the missing 99 people.
    This is true but they use a safety factor through the roof as they should. Our customers will no longer quote stadium work, they lose on everyone they have supplied.

Those cookie cutter post tension mid-rises continued to push the design limit back then. Cable guys played a bunch of golf on Friday and still do. When post tension cables break it is rapid like cutting a rubber-band while rebar elongates and bends, a building becomes unsafe but not a catastrophic failure of floors pancaking like here. The newer design have enough rebar to withstand the load of another floor with shearwalls that has a more ductile rebar that will sway but not break in a seismic event. Most of Nucor's rebar will spec to both categories.

Now the timber industry is pushing for their engineered products to be used for high rise work. The material is stringent enough for this but imagine being on the 20th floor and a fire on the 4th.

Hope for a good outcome for the people lost. Another reminder why living in the city sucks. I ain’t living in any building over 2 stories.

4 deaths and 159 missing. Sad news.

4 dead.

149 missing.

Not looking good.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Engineering firm saying that they made a report years ago that this building has been sinking alarmingly since the 1990's...

Hope they can document that report.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.