Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New outboard for new boat

Default New outboard for new boat

Just got our new boat a while back and thought I was going to be happy with the 50 Yamaha 2stroke and I'm just not. Want either a 50 tohatsu or Suzuki but as we all know it's nearly impossible to find one in stock right now. I ran accross a new etec 40 ready to go and a good price. My boat is a Alweld 1652 VV Marsh and weighs around 500lbs. Anybody run a etec on a similar boat that could offer some reviews?
    All Men are self made, but, only the successful ones admit it!

2thDoc "because nothing matters till the games are played and clemson people have enjoyed success and know how to deal with it.

any other stupid questions?"......Classic!

CP#96743

Yam 50 for sale??

864-225-8704

Call that number and ask Oscar when he can get you a Tohatsu 60hp.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    Yam 50 for sale??
    Soon as I get my new motor....yes

2thDoc "because nothing matters till the games are played and clemson people have enjoyed success and know how to deal with it.

CP#96743

Quote Originally Posted by DuckorBust View Post
    Soon as I get my new motor....yes
    Holler.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    864-225-8704

Call that number and ask Oscar when he can get you a Tohatsu 60hp.
    No need to call him. He's "due" and they'll be in "any day now".
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Are you disappointed in the hole shot? Top end speed?

What Bitesize said... more info please on what the issue at hand is.

Don't think you'll be any more pleased with 50hp from another brand.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Hole shot is great. Top speed really isn't that important. Honestly I hate mixing the oil and gas and fuel mileage is the main thing. With 3 people....two of which are very "grown". WOT top speed is about 31. Running a 14P prop. When I was setting it up I bought a tiny tach and there is no way it's reading right. At 3/4 throttle it says I'm turning 8500rpms. I think I could turn a 15P if I was gonna keep it. I would've expected a little more top end but like I said, that's not the deal breaker on the 2 stroke. For those that know Pee Dee, we put in at Bosticks last weekend and rode pretty much WOT to dexters and didn't make it back to bosticks before running a 6gallon tank dry. 2 buddies that have tohatsu didn't hardly move off of full.

CP#96743

Quote Originally Posted by Mobetter View Post
    No need to call him. He's "due" and they'll be in "any day now".
    They must be taught to say that. David at southside told me pretty much the same thing Monday. He has them but for rigging all the havocs that he has in stock. Robins said he didn't know but already has deposits on several.

CP#96743

Tot and myself made a 29 mile round trip with a hunting load and I was able to fit a gallon and a half in the tank afterwards. Mine’s a 25.

You need a 13 pitch. Run faster, better holeshot and load carrying. My 50 two stroke on willyworms boat would do 40 empty and 36 loaded to the gills. That boat is prob 650 empty. And it still wasnt set up right. Needed to come up a hair but i was out of holes on motor and breakaway plate. It did like gas though.
    Last edited by Phone Man; 06-23-2021 at 05:12 PM.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Last 2 tiny tachs i bought were not worth a shit. Lasted 5 minutes before reading retarded numbers. The one on my godevil acts fool every now and then.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Speaking of, anyone know of a tach worth a damn?

Assuming there are no mechanical issues and its a want not a need on the repower, I'd keep the 2 stroke in the current market and wait a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    You need a 13 pitch. Run faster, better holeshot and load carrying. My 50 two stroke on willyworms boat would do 40 empty and 36 loaded to the gills. That boat is prob 650 empty. And it still wasnt set up right. Needed to come up a hair but i was out of holes on motor and breakaway plate. It did like gas though.
    I'm speaking heresy and I never thought I'd come around, but I'm thinking of a 4 stroke myself. My 60 can slam drank some gas! It'll scat though.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Since Tater brought up Oscar, it reminded me of whites marine in McCormick. We priced a foot from Oscar and from John last year and John at whites marine had the better price. He’s a tohatsu dealer, may be worth a call
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I think he may have had a 50 sitting in there for sale last time I was there but I can’t remember for sure
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Eh the 25 tohatsus might be fuel efficient, my brand new 60 drinks gas worse than my 05 Mercury 60. I love it though, great motor. If you can get you hand on one buy it.

Sounds about par for McCurrys. He’s the most knowledgeable on those motors and backs his stuff, he’d be the first person I went to for service. He did ok on my install, he didn’t really mess with mounting height and fitting it to my boat, not too big a deal, I got it right on my own. He drilled a 4” hole in my console and blank covered it and didn’t own up to it. Swore up and down he didn’t do it and it was already there.

I still think he’d be my go to for Tohatsu, just wish he wouldn’t have lied to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DuckorBust View Post
    They must be taught to say that. David at southside told me pretty much the same thing Monday. He has them but for rigging all the havocs that he has in stock. Robins said he didn't know but already has deposits on several.
    He must have ordered more boats then motors in that case. Myself and a buddy just bought two Havocs without motors in the past couple months.