Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: King Mackerel ?

Default King Mackerel ?

I would apologize to the person who gave it to me for whatever reason they choose to give it to me.
    Last edited by Woodiewacker82; 06-24-2021 at 07:55 PM.

LOL. I'm going to get rid of it. Nobody meant any ill will giving it to me. It was actually my daughter's roommate's boyfriend that caught it. I don't even know him and he was probably just trying to unload some fish that he didn't want. He did tell me that if I ever want to go fishing that I was always welcome on his boat, so not all bad.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Indeed. My wife's favorite fish, and I've caught my share of each of 'em. Lotta people talk bad about 'em are basing their talk on their buddy's buddy's buddy's Uncle Randy's experience from that one time they took one home after a day catching mahi on the ol' Sea Fox.
    Are you absolutely sure she's tried triggerfish? Haven't had AJ but hard to imagine it's better than trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Kioti View Post
    Are you absolutely sure she's tried triggerfish? Haven't had AJ but hard to imagine it's better than trigger.
    Or Hogfish...

Quote Originally Posted by Kioti View Post
    It’s not.

I have decades long arguments with life long fishing buddies.

I stand by my statement. Triggerfish is the best tasting and best textured, grilled ocean fish off the coast of SC.

I cannot be moved on this.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    It’s not.

I have decades long arguments with life long fishing buddies.

I stand by my statement. Triggerfish is the best tasting and best textured, grilled ocean fish off the coast of SC.

I cannot be moved on this.
    Big BSB and hogfish are right there with it.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Yes, we've caught plenty of triggers. They''re awesome-eating but annoying as hail to clean for the yield, IMO. Personally, YFT is my favorite by a fairly wide margin. And flounder and sheeps, too, for that matter, can hang with any pelagic in terms of taste.

Guess my point is, to each their own. Not what Uncle Randy toldya'.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Yes, we've caught plenty of triggers. They''re awesome-eating but annoying as hail to clean for the yield, IMO.'.
    I use a cheap electric fillet knife to do the outside cuts. Makes cleaning triggers a breeze. Prior to that I felt the same way.

Some fish are too different to compare to other fish. Trigger fish have a uniquely firm meat that cannot be compared to most other fish. A fresh Spanish mackerel can't be compared to other white-meat fish like spadefish or sheepshead. I love trigger fish and Spanish mackerel and will go out of my way to get either but they're very different. I always grill Spanish fresh within a day or two and the skin on. I always filet and take the skin off of a trigger fish. I've said it before but trigger fish have BO - not just a fishy smell, it's something else and it's really unpleasant. I guess it has something to do with their leathery skin.

I have a personal rule to keep fish cold and clean them before I allow myself back in the house after fishing. I never purposefully trained my kids (now adults) this way but it does my heart proud when we get home and they swarm with boat and the fish. Everything is put up where it belongs and scrubbed clean before they go in the house.

We almost always eat some of the fish the day we catch it. My wife will even go as far as calling family and scheduling a fish fry on the way home after a good day. Of course, I do the cooking while the rest of the lazy brats all take showers and rehydrate...at least they helped me clean the boat...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Ive been in the Keys 2 weeks. Eating fish until the fam said no more, let's go out.

They ordered sushi....
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    I've said it before but trigger fish have BO - not just a fishy smell, it's something else and it's really unpleasant. I guess it has something to do with their leathery skin..
    It's their diet. I agree, they smell different. I've always attributed it to them chewing on coral.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

hogfish kinda need to be up there as well, but I do love me some triggers.

When I clean fish I try to not disturb the digestive tract. With trigger it is even more important. You can't get the taste off the meat.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    When I clean fish I try to not disturb the digestive tract. With trigger it is even more important. You can't get the taste off the meat.
    Agreed.

And triggers are really easy to clean. 6" dexter around the outside, peel up a corner behind the head, pinch it between thumb and knife and pull. Then fillet off bone and dont cut into the rib cage.

Interesting fact I have always heard since I started fishing... The seminoles would use trigger fish skin as armor. After setting some skins in the sun a time or two, I believed it.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton