Thread: Dolphin Limit change ?

Default Dolphin Limit change ?

60 per boat down to 54 per boat from the Keys to North Carolina.

So is this a feel good vote? How many boats are keeping 60 dolphin a day? Does moving it down to 54 really change anything? Obviously I'm not a fish or ocean biologist but this doesn't make sense to me.

Is the Aggressor still running charters? Just kidding, heh heh...

Many years ago, when I mated at Oregon Inlet during college, we took out 6 people charters to the stream or there about every day
    of the summer and often hit the dolphin where everyone on board was baling them as fast as they could go
    and we'd have 60 or so. I personally don't want to clean that many fish any longer
    Just received these pics from one of my best buddies and fishing partner, yesterday Saturday 6/19, 13 miles off the beach, all from one weed "island"

Dolphin on dock.jpg
    Weedline.jpg
    Last edited by ecu1984; 06-20-2021 at 11:02 AM.

NC’s charter fleet “bailing” and South Florida’s summer “schoolie” fishing can’t be helping.

I’d bet there’s more dolphin killed at 24 inches than any other length combined.

……….but, there’s a blue billion of em out there.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

they're extremely fast growing fish. I just don't have any use of keeping a tiny ass dolphin, or haven't in the past unless it's a really bad day.

They make a good marlin live bait.
    DILLIGAF

They make a helluva sandwich, when blackened in a cast iron pan and put on a bun

For years I’ve wanted to bridle a few and pull em.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I prefer a 24in over a 24lb any day of the week.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    they're extremely fast growing fish. I just don't have any use of keeping a tiny ass dolphin, or haven't in the past unless it's a really bad day.
    Correct. It makes no sense in my opinion to keep small dolphin. Give that 24" fish a chance to make it to next year and he's a 20 lb fish.
    https://dolphintagging.com/
    This program was actually started in SC. The guy who started it use to come give a presentation once a year to our fish club. It was very interesting to learn the growth rates and migration patterns of dolphin. We have been tagging small dolphin for a couple years now and it pretty cool when you get a report that a fish you tagged was recaptured.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Quote Originally Posted by mudflat View Post
    I prefer a 24in over a 24lb any day of the week.
    This man knows about eating dolphin
    add: not when it comes to catching them but when it comes to eating them
    Last edited by ecu1984; 06-21-2021 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    Correct. It makes no sense in my opinion to keep small dolphin. Give that 24" fish a chance to make it to next year and he's a 20 lb fish.
    https://dolphintagging.com/
    This program was actually started in SC. The guy who started it use to come give a presentation once a year to our fish club. It was very interesting to learn the growth rates and migration patterns of dolphin. We have been tagging small dolphin for a couple years now and it pretty cool when you get a report that a fish you tagged was recaptured.
    Reality is, most folks that saved all year and live for that one week they get to the coast are going to keep them
    There is no shortage of them from what we see
    They are absolutely the most beautiful fish when "lit" up around the boat
    Last edited by ecu1984; 06-21-2021 at 09:45 AM.