Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Georgetown pine tree soil...what to plant

Default Georgetown pine tree soil...what to plant

First year trying to make food plots in GT county. Soil is sandy, pine trees and old stumps abound. I'm sure it needs lime and plenty of it, probably more than I'm willing to afford.

One club member says he plants soybeans and does nothing to the soil other than disc. They get 3in tall and the deer mow it down. Plants again when it gets gone and continues into November he said.

I need not the suggestion to get a soil sample, etc., As this is leased land and in 2 weeks it may become a clear-cut and all money/ effort wasted. A Google search says forage oats and wheat do good in low PH soil.

Anybody have success planting in low pH soil anything a deer likes to eat? Any similar situations? Corn is king on this property but looking for that extra Trump card.
    Last edited by mudflat; 06-19-2021 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Low is high high is low!
    Low country redneck who moved north

For the most part you can throw down however much fertilizer you wish to buy when you plant whatever seed you wish to plant. Soybeans can be had cheap if you can find some combine run beans. Or you can bush hog the grass every week or so. Deer like new growth on grass and keeping it bushhogged will keep deer on it. Not adding additional nutrients though but you can’t beat the cost.

Soybeans.

I am confused by the question....you say you have high pH soil but it needs lime??? I am assuming you are just confused in that acidic means low pH
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

Ive been called a dumbass before so I assume your correct. I am ass backwards.

Soil samples are cheap and save you from wasting money on fertilizer you don't need.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

There’s a reason it’s planted in pines.

Why bother, corn and lumber prices got you down?

Plant cow peas instead of soy beans. If you want to spend money, plant clover after deer season or rotate in another nitrogen fixing legume.

Wheat and oats. The deer will hammer it and cheap to replant.

Cow peas. They will grow in concrete just about
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

If you have a good number of deer then you are just wasting your money on both soy beans and cow peas, unless you want to do like your buddy and replant every few weeks. Other than not doing a soil test, you are on the right track with rye, oats, and winter wheat. Just plant a mix of rye and oats and plant it THICK. You will have deer on it well after deer season has closed.

Quote Originally Posted by StrutnBPS View Post
    If you have a good number of deer then you are just wasting your money on both soy beans and cow peas, unless you want to do like your buddy and replant every few weeks. Other than not doing a soil test, you are on the right track with rye, oats, and winter wheat. Just plant a mix of rye and oats and plant it THICK. You will have deer on it well after deer season has closed.
    Solid advice, most anything else is a waste of money unless you can fence it until the plot gets up. I’ve been planting oats and winter peas the last couple years at the end of September/first of October and letting it head out for the birds. I will bush got what’s left early in august. I don’t know a lot about killing deer though so take that for what it’s worth.

I will probably go with soybeans and oats and replant as they eat it up.
    Does anybody have a lead on soybeans, farmer has cleaned out his silo and is out?

Quote Originally Posted by TennDan View Post
    Plant cow peas instead of soy beans. If you want to spend money, plant clover after deer season or rotate in another nitrogen fixing legume.
    This right here.

Cowpeas can recover from early browse better than soybeans.

Yep
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by w33kender View Post
    Cowpeas can recover from early browse better than soybeans.
    I'd love to have about 5 acres of cow peas. Mix of the red rippers and iorn/clay. Especially with something for them to run on like sun flowers or corn.

Last time I bought cow peas they were expensive, I can only imagine what they cost now.

Quote Originally Posted by mudflat View Post
    Last time I bought cow peas they were expensive, I can only imagine what they cost now.
    Yup. I remember when they were $15 a bag. Now they are what, $55-70?

You may want to try one of the forage type soy beans over ag. soy beans.