Thread: Carp racist

Default Carp racist

Asian carp’ rebranded because tag is deemed racist
    By Mark Lungariello
    July 18, 2021

The US Fish and Wildlife Service wanted to avoid using a name that would paint Asians in a negative light.

The Asian carp is getting a new name from wildlife agencies who think the title is offensive — but some critics say the move is a solution fishing for a problem.

The US Fish and Wildlife Service rebranded the freshwater fish wreaking havoc in the Midwest as “invasive carp” in April.

“We wanted to move away from any terms that cast Asian culture and people in a negative light,” Charlie Wooley, director of the Great Lakes Regional Office for the service, told The Associated Press.

Minnesota long ago dropped the Asian carp label – which refers to four different species – and a group called the Asian Carp Regional Coordinating Committee plans to do the same beginning Aug. 2.

News of the change drew some snarky responses on social media, with some noting the name referred to the fact the fish were brought to the US from China for pond maintenance before they spread to rivers.

“Black coffee is next,” one Twitter user said. “Chinese food, Mexican food, white lies, brown sugar, calling ships her.”

“1980: dungeons and dragons is going to turn the kids into Satanists,” another user said. “2021: Asian carp will turn the kids into racists.”

“The Name ‘Asian Carp’ Said to Cast Asian Culture and People in a Negative Light,” said another, quoting a news article, before adding, “(Among Those Who Can’t Distinguish Between People and Fish).”

Minnesota had its own backlash when it changed the name in 2014, state Sen. Foung Hawj said.

“I had more hate mail than you could shake a stick at,” Hawj told the AP. He had decided “the last straw” before changing then name was when a group of visitors from Asia came to the Minneapolis airport and were greeted by a PSA sign that read “Kill Asian Carp.”

The race-free rebrand isn’t likely to settle the debate over what to call the different species. As a population control measure, the state of Illinois is planning a new name that will be appetizing for people selling and eating the fish, which is now mostly used as bait or pet food.

A new name will be unveiled soon that won’t call to mind regular carp, a spokesman for the state Department of Natural Resources told the AP.

“It’s a four-letter word in this country,” Assistant Fisheries Chief Kevin Irons said. It wouldn’t be the first food-based fish rebrand – the fish once known as the Patagonian toothfish is now on menus as Chilean sea bass, the AP noted.

Another invasive species, the Gypsy Moth, also recently got a woke rebrand from the Entomological Society of America because its name is considered an ethnic slur by some Romani people.

Gypsy Moth caterpillars were surging in the upstate New York this year, leaving forests barren of leaves while raining poop into residential yards.

https://nypost.com/2021/07/18/asian-...med-offensive/

Wait until the PC pohleece get ahold of our crappie.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Gracious. Whats next? Black duck? Black bears? White fronts?

I thought this was satire.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    I thought this was satire.
    The democrats have become so mentally ill, that one cannot easily distinguish the difference anymore...

Invasive cast a negative connotation on folks who are invading us and offends them.

American wigeon are so pretentious.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Are French fries still okay? I sure do love some French fries.

I’m guessing Pygmy rattlers are probably safe, cause everyone knows all Pygmys really are evil little shits.
    Tyler Simmons wasn’t offsides. 1-9-2018
    Isaiah Bond didn’t catch the ball. 12-2-2023

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    Are French fries still okay? I sure do love some French fries.
    "Freedom Fires"
    "We have become so open minded that our brains have fallen out"

Asians are taking over the world with covid, robots, slave labor, karate, and slave-karate and we are worried about naming a fish after them?

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Asians are taking over the world with covid, robots, slave labor, karate, and slave-karate and we are worried about naming a fish after them?
    It was already named, they took it away from the fish. This country if owned by a select few.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Got me to thinking... Are the Northern Pintail and Northern Shoveler offensive to Canadians?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft