Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Border OPEN!

Default Border OPEN!

Of course a quick Google search of Canadian cities and concerts lists such necessary exceptions like James Taylor, Bon Jovi, and Bonnie Raitt...

OTTAWA — Canada and the United States are extending pandemic-related restrictions at their land border for at least another month in a move that's fueling frustrations on both sides of the frontier.

The Trudeau government announced Friday that both countries agreed to keep the crossings closed to nonessential travel until July 21. The governments are facing intensifying pressure to loosen the measures and taking heat over the lack of a clear, detailed reopening plan.

"I get people's impatience," Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told reporters later Friday when asked about the extension. "But from the very beginning we as a government have been there for Canadians and that means doing what's necessary to keep them safe."

The explanation: With vaccination rates rising in both countries, Canadian and U.S. lawmakers, business leaders, and families separated from loved ones for more than a year have been urging Trudeau and President Joe Biden to start easing restrictions.

Trudeau said the decision to keep the frontier sealed for another month to foreign travelers, including Americans, was largely due to the government's concerns that fully vaccinated individuals may still be able to transmit Covid-19. He said Canada had yet to reach a high enough threshold of second-dose vaccination.

"Even a fully vaccinated individual can pass on Covid-19 to someone who is not vaccinated," Trudeau said, referring to the guidance driving Canada's "phased" reopening approach.

Trudeau reiterated the need for Canada to reach its vaccination targets before it can start peeling back restrictions. He wants at least 75 percent of the population to have had their first Covid vaccine doses and 20 percent to be fully vaccinated.

The frustration: The decision drew swift disapproval from those demanding a reopening.

"There's no other way to say it: another month's delay is bullshit," Rep. Brian Higgins (D-N.Y.), co-chair of the Congressional Northern Border Caucus, wrote on Twitter later Friday.

Higgins and Bill Huizenga (R-Mich.), two of the most-vocal lawmakers pushing for the border measures to be eased back, issued a joint statement later Friday condemning the two governments' approach to an issue that they say affects millions of people on both sides.

“The lack of transparency surrounding these negotiations is a disservice to our constituents and the millions of residents on both sides of the border waiting to see their loved ones, visit their property, and renew business ties," said the message from Higgins and Huizenga, who both serve as co-chairs of the Canada-United States Inter-Parliamentary Group. “While the arrival of vaccines in record time has been a modern marvel, the inability of the U.S. and Canadian governments to reach an agreement on alleviating border restrictions or aligning additional essential traveler classes is simply unacceptable.”

Goldy Hyder, president of the Business Council of Canada, said Friday that the two countries missed an opportunity to make adjustments to the border agreement to recognize the growing number of people who are fully vaccinated against the virus.

"Canadians need a clearly articulated plan to reopen the border safely so that friends and families can be reunited and businesses can welcome back travelers," Hyder said in a statement.

The border agreement: Canada-U.S. land crossings have been closed to nonessential travel since March 2020, when the public health measures were imposed to help prevent Covid-19’s spread.

The countries have renewed a month-to-month agreement to keep the restrictions in place — and the latest one had been set to expire Monday.

Last week, Canada signaled it would start easing quarantine requirements during the first week of July for returning Canadians, permanent residents and other people who are permitted to enter the country. Public Safety Minister Bill Blair said Friday on Twitter that more details on the changes will be announced Monday.

Part of the backstory: The delays have fed concerns that decision-makers are being guided more by politics than science.

Provincial premiers like Ontario’s Doug Ford have urged the Trudeau government to keep tough border measures in place, while recent public opinion polls have suggested many Canadians want the border restrictions to stick around until the end of summer.

What's next: Trudeau said Friday that in the coming weeks, Canadians returning to the country will be able to upload their proof of vaccination records to an app managed by the federal government.

The prime minister said that for the fall, Ottawa and the provinces are also working on a national certification of vaccination status that will be accepted by countries around the world.

Closed forever if you don't Vax...

I won’t be going back if that’s the case
    80-20 Genaration

Too bad Alberta, Manitoba and Saskatchewan won’t tell Ontario to kiss their ass and tell Trudeau to go pound sand
    cut\'em

No way in hell I’m sticking that crap in my body.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

take this vaccine experiment shot and you’ll get a treat. a Scooby Snack. or a lollipop. or Yankees tickets. or a lottery ticket. or permission to move about God’s creation (wherever we allow, of course. or NOT TRAVEL to the places we don’t allow.)
    Last edited by DoubleSprig; 06-20-2021 at 08:38 PM.

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

They are now saying 75% need to be FULLY vaccinated before they open to outsiders. I had pretty good hope i was going to make it to the yukon this year, right up until today. At this point, just hope i don't loose my money and can be rolled again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Socialized healthcare systems can't handle real pandemics. It's one of their biggest gaps.

That and the annoying way they talk.

Could, might, should translate into a few more ducks making it into the US.. If they are in fact there to migrate.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Could, might, should translate into a few more ducks making it into the US.. If they are in fact there to migrate.
    That’s what everyone was saying last year
    80-20 Genaration

Egg Zachary.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

OH SNAP!

TORONTO — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said on Thursday Canada could start allowing fully vaccinated Americans into Canada as of mid-August for non-essential travel and should be in a position to welcome fully vaccinated travelers from all countries by early September.
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post
    OH SNAP!

TORONTO — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said on Thursday Canada could start allowing fully vaccinated Americans into Canada as of mid-August for non-essential travel and should be in a position to welcome fully vaccinated travelers from all countries by early September.
    I've seen some hunt cancellations floating around for silly money. Those are going to go fast now.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

You can get a “vaxx card” printed online
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    You can get a “vaxx card” printed online
    That card won't get you past the international database that we are getting ready to find out about...

HIPPA? Sheeeeeeeeeeeeee-it. They are sharing our medical information with the UN...

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I've seen some hunt cancellations floating around for silly money. Those are going to go fast now.
    Fact, and there will be more to come due to people who don't want to get the vax. I was one of them but figured F it, there's a sheep with my name on it.

Can’t decide if I’m going to wait for an official announcement, or go ahead and buy my plane tickets for my scheduled September elk hunt in Alberta.

Trudeau: U.S.-Canada Border Will Open In August To Vaccinated Americans
    Suzanne Rowan Kelleher

Finally, after weeks of refusing to tether himself to a timeline, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has laid out a firmer plan with loose dates attached for reopening the U.S.-Canada border to tourists.

Canada will begin welcoming fully vaccinated American non-essential travelers in mid-August, according to an official summary of a meeting between Trudeau and provincial leaders yesterday. The government is apparently planning to open the border to vaccinated U.S. travelers weeks before a broader re-opening to vaccinated travelers from other countries.

“The Prime Minister noted that, if our current positive path of vaccination rate and public health conditions continue, Canada would be in a position to welcome fully vaccinated travelers from all countries by early September,” according to the summary. “He noted the ongoing discussions with the United States on reopening plans, and indicated that we could expect to start allowing fully vaccinated U.S. citizens and permanent residents into Canada as of mid-August for non-essential travel.”

MORE: Meet ArriveCAN: How To Use Canada’s Vaccine Passport When The Border Finally Reopens
    The 5,525-mile border between the U.S. and Canada has been closed to non-essential travel since March 2020. The closure has been extended on a month-by-month basis, and the current restrictions officially expire in five days, on July 21 — and are expected to be extended one last time.

For months, the prime minister has insisted that he is in no hurry to reopen the border, and has instead followed the recommendations of health experts for a slow, phased process based on vaccination rates and Covid-19 case counts. “We're on the right path, but we'll make our decisions based on the interests of Canadians and not based on what other countries want,” said Trudeau in late May.

The prime minister reiterated his ‘slowly, slowly’ messaging earlier this week, when he told reporters in Quebec, “As we have been every step of the way, we are going to be cautious and responsible and take things step-by-step.”

But Trudeau has also been clear that there will be a different set of protocols in place for travelers depending on their vaccination status, saying that it will be some time before unvaccinated international travelers will be allowed into the country.

“I can tell you right now that's not going to happen for quite a while,” Trudeau told reporters at a press conference earlier this month in British Columbia, noting that his “first focus” was how to reopen the border to travelers who have received two doses of the Covid-19 vaccine.

Trudeau’s insistence on keeping travel restrictions in place along the U.S.-Canada border has drawn criticism from business leaders on both sides of the border, but he has maintained the support of the majority of Canadians.

According to a survey by the Angus Reid Institute, published just yesterday, nearly seven in 10 Canadians (69%) want the travel ban to remain in place until 75% of Canadians are fully vaccinated — the marker used by the Trudeau administration.

Half of Canadians (50%) believe the prime minister is doing a good job handling the pandemic, his highest rating since January.

Trudeau has insisted that border restrictions need to stay in place until at least 75% of Canadians are vaccinated. As of now, 69% of Canadians have received at least one dose and 47% are fully vaccinated, according to recent data shared by CTV News.

That’s on par with the United States, where 48% of the total population has received at least one dose of the vaccine, according to the vaccination tracker from the Brown School of Public Health.

Trudeau’s government is expected to share a more detailed plan early next week.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzanne...h=3f69adf8569d