Thread: Upland Training

Default Upland Training

Getting some feedback already on Facebook, thought I'd throw the question up here as well.

I'm getting set up for pigeons at my house, for training purposes with my upland dogs. The loft is coming in next week, and I have a lead on pigeons. My house is only on 1.5 acre, but I have around 20 acres to train on that butts up to me, and I have around 300 acres to train on 200 - 500 yards away depending on where I'm at on that property. The loft will be set up at my house.

Option #1: Put loft in the ideal spot, that is directly beside the place my dog kennels are currently at. This is on the south side of my shop. Dogs would be roughly 5 yards away from the loft. I let them out daily to run, but they listen and I can keep them away from the loft.

Option #2: I'm having a new pad laid on the north side of my shop within the next month, I'm moving the kennels there to give me more room (currently under the lean too of my shop on the south side). I'm hoping it will be complete within a month, but realistically 2 months. I can put the pigeons on the north side of the shop to start, and once kennels are done I can move them to the south side to the ideal location. If I go this route, they'll be roughly 30 yards from the kennels, with a shop in between them. Will be somewhat of a pain to move the loft.

What is my better choice? I've used pigeons to train, I've never been the one with the pigeons though.

I'd keep the birds away from the dogs.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

far far away...
    At least I'm housebroken.

Pigeons are rats with wings. Far away and then some more. If you start with 20, they will multiply into 100 real quick given enough space and food.

Believe I’m going to keep them on the north side of the shop, and move them to the south once the new kennels are all set up.

Starting with around 5. Max I want is 10ish.

I kept quail in a small pen right on the other side of the fence from the dog yard that my dogs could get under anytime they were let out of their yard. One of the dogs, Bud, was obsessed with them and would stay under the pen as long as you left him out of his yard. I had zero problems with any of the dogs and in fact came to believe that it made them much more keen to recognize faint quail scent.

IMO the pigeon coop will be fine beside the dog kennels. As long as you don't let them tear into the loft the first week or so, they will quickly learn to ignore it.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I'd keep the birds away from the dogs.
    This. I can't remember what I have heard but keep the dogs away from the birds. They may drop interest in them or something like that. If I had my way, I would have a huge pen in back yard for birds but for this reason. And one asshole neighbor.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I kept quail in a small pen right on the other side of the fence from the dog yard that my dogs could get under anytime they were let out of their yard. One of the dogs, Bud, was obsessed with them and would stay under the pen as long as you left him out of his yard. I had zero problems with any of the dogs and in fact came to believe that it made them much more keen to recognize faint quail scent.
    And good to hear.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.