Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help wanted

Quote Originally Posted by Frank1 View Post
    We're seeing this kind of thing across the country, labor and driver shortages. People not wanting to work since covid started.

It will not get better until uncle sugar stops sending out checks to stay at home. Right now is a good time to be a man that is just happy existing.

It will be interesting to see how many people are suddenly ready to go to work when they cut off the 'federal teat' on the 26th...you might see it bump up.
    At least I'm housebroken.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Nitz View Post
    It will be interesting to see how many people are suddenly ready to go to work when they cut off the 'federal teat' on the 26th...you might see it bump up.
    Yeah, a lot of high quality workers are going to flood the market place.

Quote Originally Posted by Kioti View Post
    Yep, craftsmen will appear soon. This has been building for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kioti View Post
    If they were high quality- they would have been working all along.
    The ones sucking the sugar tit are the making 8, let the next guy do it losers.

Bullshit.

High quality “tradesman” aren’t going to flood the market.

You are going to struggle to get anyone worth a damn for under $28-$29 an hour especially “multi trade.”

It is damn near impossible to find people who are multi trade unless they learned it outside of work. Most places are millwright, I/E, and electrician. I am multi trade. The company I work for now pays me extremely well because of my experience on the mechanical and electrical side. We have been searching for an I/E tech that is worth a damn for 10 months now and it has nothing to do Covid or unemployment.
    Last edited by b-stick; 06-16-2021 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    If they were high quality- they would have been working all along.
    The ones sucking the sugar tit are the making 8, let the next guy do it losers.
    I think they were being sarcastic.. at least hope they were

All of the apps I've received are from people with jobs or are working for themselves looking for benefits. It looks like the ones sitting on their ass arent feeling enough pain to start looking yet

“high quality tradesmen” is relative. - perhaps “capable warm bodies with no loyalty” would be a better description of who floods the market.

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

Not for nothing, but I strongly feel like getting a good employee for any less than $20/hr is a lost cause. It’s been manifesting for some time, but I think we’ve hit the point where an employer is going to need to examine who he can cut so he can increase the wage of the one worth keeping. Having one solid af employee at $30/hr is better than 2 worthless ones at $15/hr in a lot of arenas.

Pay like the company next door is trying to poach your top talent....

Also starting to see a ton of big retention bonuses floating around in Charlotte. Sign a contract today saying you will stay until January of ‘22 and on that day you will receive a check for $X. Some of the numbers I’ve seen will knock your eyes out. Just another idea for some of you bosses on here. The next 6 months are going to be a blood bath in the labor pool. If floating a small contract to stay til end of year keeps a good one from leaving for a higher bidder down the road it might repay you several fold.

$20/hr is hopeless. My oldest is making that working in batching at IVC and getting another $2/hr raise at end of month.

Just had to pay $120k for a controls engineer with 3 years experience and a project manager even more with 5 years experience. Makes my stomach hurt with what pay requirements for good people is right now.

It can hurt, but look how much shit costs these days!!! I also think paying good employees what they are worth is key in most markets.

I am only 36 but never in my life have I looked harder at rise in food, goods, and living costs and been thinking well I used to think I made decent money but the way things are rolling Im set to stay broke til I die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been working since August last year with a 20% pay cut due to Covid 19 budget cuts. Had 3 weekends off to be home with my family since Easter weekend. Operate a backhoe, forklift certified, plus other equipment from skid steers down to weed eaters. Carpentry work from framework to trim out, plus design and build for display props as needed. Basic-low end intermediate plumbing, rewired almost my whole house, replacing the old knob and tube wiring, know a little about a lot type. Take pride in what I do, and know a lot more in my company than some people above me know. Usually would get a Christmas bonus, but last year didn’t even get a text message that said “Merry Christmas”. Beat my brains out for a company that used to value their employees. I’m giving it through the end of the year to see if anything improves tremendously. Lot of companies are realizing they need to pay more to get good people, it is going to be an interesting time coming up in the labor pool.

I got a call today from my old HR manager of a job i left after 16+ years. They have been trying to find a new programer to replace part of my former job since i left in October. I make 1/2 of what i made working there doing landscapping but i have never been happier. I was miserable and my stress level was through the roof allday everyday. One thing that i learned while taking care of my mother in law is time with my family heavily out weights making a shit ton of money. I explained all that to him on the phone and he said we are desperate name your price. I told him $150/hr and i will program 10 hours a week from home working remotely just like i did when Covid started but i was working 55+ A week. We will see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Have you reached out to any of the local tech schools?
    I graduated with industrial electronic and mechatronics from PTC in Greenwood and we always had people coming to talk to us about jobs. At one point Michelin had a co-op program and they were hiring guys part-time in the program while they were still in school and guaranteeing them full time jobs on as soon as they graduated. Granted you’ll get some young, green help but we went through a variety of courses coverings electrical, mechanical, PLC’s, and hydraulics and pneumatics.
    I work with Rusty Denning at PTC. I’m in the ems program. Good folks over there.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by hunterjw View Post
    I think they were being sarcastic.. at least hope they were
    Yeah, thought that was pretty obvious. I was just speaking in general of all of those who have been riding the gravy train. The quality of worker we have been getting from those who have been willing to even try to work has been pretty bleak. Can't see much hope in getting anybody worth a crap who hasn't even tried to earn their keep.

Quote Originally Posted by HTFireMedic View Post
    I work with Rusty Denning at PTC. I’m in the ems program. Good folks over there.

He must have got hired after I graduated, I’m not familiar with him
    Kevin, Charles, Danny, and JC taught most of my classes.

I tell you one thing though, that new instructor for the BCT program is a piece of work. I went through that course straight out of high school, my dad and uncle are graduates of it as well along with a lot of good friends of ours. I went through it when Bobby and Chad were in charge.
    Last edited by Duck cutter; 06-17-2021 at 05:19 AM.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by adamb61085 View Post
    I got a call today from my old HR manager of a job i left after 16+ years. They have been trying to find a new programer to replace part of my former job since i left in October. I make 1/2 of what i made working there doing landscapping but i have never been happier. I was miserable and my stress level was through the roof allday everyday. One thing that i learned while taking care of my mother in law is time with my family heavily out weights making a shit ton of money. I explained all that to him on the phone and he said we are desperate name your price. I told him $150/hr and i will program 10 hours a week from home working remotely just like i did when Covid started but i was working 55+ A week. We will see what they say.
    What are you programming?

Quote Originally Posted by Quack07 View Post
    What are you programming?
    CNC mostly mills

Quote Originally Posted by Meathook View Post
    Just had to pay $120k for a controls engineer with 3 years experience.
    What type of industry is the company in? Thats STRONG with only 3 years experience, even with a PE