Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SimplySafe Fire & Security Systems

[QUOTE=Drylok;2884141]
    Quote Originally Posted by ersepton View Post
    We have a pool and a one year old. I’m looking for a chirp, or one of those “back door” chimes every time the door opens. Will this system do that?[/

Wherever you install your entry sensors, your base station will chirp when they are opened.
    Does this happen (chirp) all the time, or only if the system is 'armed'?

Or is this system basically 'armed' all the time, such as the smoke/fire alarm system monitoring, which should be 'hot' 24x7?

My current/old system has the fire alarms hot all the time, but the burglar alarm is only active when I arm it at the panel. I assume(d) this one is the same way... ?
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 06-24-2021 at 02:46 PM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Just received my new Simplisafe system yesterday, unboxed it and will place sensors tonight most likely. I have a friend and they are pleased with thier system

[QUOTE=WoodieSC;2885575]
    Quote Originally Posted by Drylok View Post

Or is this system basically 'armed' all the time, such as the smoke/fire alarm system monitoring, which should be 'hot' 24x7?

My current/old system has the fire alarms hot all the time, but the burglar alarm is only active when I arm it at the panel. I assume(d) this one is the same way... ?

with our kids, ours chirps all the time. if the system is armed and a door opens it will start a different continuous chime until the alarm goes off (time till it goes off is customizable). You can use the app or on your online account, you can choose when things are active. The default is for all the smoke, CO2 alarms to always be 'on'. There is also a home mode and an away mode. Home essentially sets all of your entry sensors but no motion sensors. away sets all the entry and motion sensors. You can do a lot of customization of your system with your online account. The system also sends daily test signals to to the monitoring location (you aren't called or anything but you can see the activity on your account) to make sure everything is working.
    Last edited by dubs; 06-24-2021 at 03:18 PM.
    Formerly DM88

[QUOTE=dubs;2885582]
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post

with our kids, ours chirps all the time. if the system is armed and a door opens it will start a different continuous chime until the alarm goes off (time till it goes off is customizable). You can use the app or on your online account, you can choose when things are active. The default is for all the smoke, CO2 alarms to always be 'on'. There is also a home mode and an away mode. Home essentially sets all of your entry sensors but no motion sensors. away sets all the entry and motion sensors. You can do a lot of customization of your system with your online account. The system also sends daily test signals to to the monitoring location (you aren't called or anything but you can see the activity on your account) to make sure everything is working.
    Thanks for the details. It sounds like it's basically the same as my current one, except I can set up more than two modes. Also, my system doesn't chirp when a door or motion detector is triggered with the system unarmed, but the lights blink for that zone on the keypads. There might be a sound I could turn on, but I'd have to check the old instruction manual... but it won't matter soon anyway.

The only irritating thing I can find right now is that the security cameras require a 120v plug. I've got them in the area I'm putting one outside, but the exposed wire and plug seem pretty stupid as they could easily be cut or pulled out. I may have to wire in a hidden socket. Fortunately I designed the house and drew the prints so I know where all the spaces go to.
    ~ George Washington

My son just installed it at his house in eastern NC and I was actually impressed with cost vs quality
    It's cheap, user friendly and works

I got my box of goodies and have read through the instruction pamphlet. A few small surprises, but the set-up doesn't look like there should be any issues.

A couple of questions...

1. What do you guys do for smoke detectors in the garage? They say not to put one of their photoelectric detectors out there, but I figured a photoelectric would be a better choice the an ionization detector (which SimpliSafe doesn't currently offer). Even though the ionization detectors are supposedly better for flames, tests have apparently shown that a photo will beat an ion in almost all situations, by as much as 30-odd minutes or so.

2. Do any of you use a camera or two outdoors? I'm sure I'll figure out how to hide the power wires and get them to an outlet, or install some hidden ones if needed, but it sure seems like an unnecessary PITA. Everything is wireless but the cameras. Are they that much clearer than other brands that are wireless? Anyone know? How are you connecting these cameras?

Thanks.
    ~ George Washington

wireless cameras would burn through batteries I'd think.

Quote Originally Posted by Geetch View Post
    wireless cameras would burn through batteries I'd think.
    Good point. I’ve never closely looked at ones like the Argo to see how they’re powered.
    ~ George Washington

[QUOTE=WoodieSC;2885575]
    Quote Originally Posted by Drylok View Post

might work for you, just bought a set to keep my wife from leaving the freezer door open, seems to work well

https://www.harborfreight.com/door-w...arm-94983.html

I use the system with no complaints!

[QUOTE=Frank1;2886559]
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post

might work for you, just bought a set to keep my wife from leaving the freezer door open, seems to work well

https://www.harborfreight.com/door-w...arm-94983.html
    Good idea there, Frank. You can also elevate the front legs an 1/8" and the door may close itself to help, but I may add one of those to the basement freezer just as a precaution. Thanks.

Unfortunately(?), as far as the home system goes, the County subscribes to the Nat. Electrical Code on fire alarms, etc, which dictates that once you replace a system you have to have a monitored system. The same holds true if you request a discount on your home insurance. The discount only covers a portion of the actual monitoring cost, so I'd say the value is up to the individual case.
    ~ George Washington