Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SimplySafe Fire & Security Systems

Default SimplySafe Fire & Security Systems

Does anyone use the SimplySafe security (or fire alarms) system?

If so, what’s your take - pro and con?
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Wife bought one for the house. I have no complaints at all; user friendly, cheap, easy to setup.

Sensors for doors, windows, motion, etc... are easy to install. I think the wife has an app for her phone too that she can control it all off of.

Growing up, we never locked doors, locked cars, or had a security system so I have nothing to compare it to. So it could be terrible compared to other security services for all I know.

Had one in our first house from 2015-2020. Got another SimpliSafe system when we moved to a new house in the fall. I really like it, always have. Initial purchase cost is a little high (for our house, 2-story 2,800 SF it was around $800) but monthly monitoring is dirt cheap IMO and we have never had an issue. It is nice now that they also offer cameras and doorbell cameras.

Set up is easy, quick and simple. App is easy to use and can link everything together. System works as it should (wife has set it off cooking a couple times and I get a phone call within about ten seconds of the alarm going off.)

They run some pretty good discounts, just watch their website. There are also a number of podcasts that are sponsored by them and they will have discount codes as well.
    Formerly DM88

Make sure the cameras cover the yard, that way you can review the footage of the 8pt buck that your wife spots in your front yard and dispute his horn size. He was how big?
    Low country redneck who moved north

I have one at my duck lodge in Arkansas. 3500 sqft property. No internet so we have regular monitoring. We have it on most windows, all doors, fire, and something else I think. No issues so far, and the couple times the alarm did go off (someone cleaning, forgot code), they were quick to call me.

I don’t have an alarm at my house, I leave the doors unlocked and keys in the car, but if I needed one I’d likely get simplisafe for here too.

Thanks for the good info thus far.

I haven't decided what to do on the security system design since I have a working one with door alarms and numerous motion detectors. I was primarily interested in replacing our fire alarm and CO2 systems since SimpliSafe is the only monitored system I could find that has Photoelectric alarms, which are highly preferred in response time tests. But for them to monitor the fire alarm system I have to at least have a minimal security system set-up, although I do think I like their cameras. It would be easy to install several of them on the covered porches around the house instead of installing a completely separate outdoor camera system.

dubs, you're right about the initial cost, especially with a two-story, 3000+ sf house, plus a basement and three car garage, but one of their reps told me the other day that they are having a nice sale on the 21st-23rd next week, and another one the following week, so if any of you need some additional accessories it would be a great time to pick them up.

Anyone use their motion alarms with a dog in the house? They claim they have them calibrated to ignore the heat signature of a dog under 50 lbs, but our Golden is 75-80 lbs, so I'm guess he would set one off (even though with his Insinuloma condition he sleeps most of the time).

Thanks.
    ~ George Washington

Our simply safe doesn’t pick up the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Our simply safe doesn’t pick up the dog.
    Shall I assume it's a Lab and not a 'retrievable'?
    ~ George Washington

If I remember correctly, they also give some instruction with the motion sensors (place slightly higher than the normal height) to avoid pets.
    Formerly DM88

Quote Originally Posted by dubs View Post
    If I remember correctly, they also give some instruction with the motion sensors (place slightly higher than the normal height) to avoid pets.
    And turn it upside down.

We use SimpliSafe as well and we like it. I don’t really have anything to add to what the others have said, but we do have our sensors raised up a certain amount on the wall so that the dogs will not trip it off.

I would buy the system and service again.

Quote Originally Posted by Geetch View Post
    And turn it upside down.
    That's any interesting solution. All the more reason to not put a sign out front advertising which kind of system one has, because if turning the motion sensors upside down to avoid dogs works, it means it leaves several feet of uncovered space at the floor... right?

Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 06-24-2021 at 02:39 PM.
    ~ George Washington

If the smoke detector accidently goes off, burn something on the stove, they will call you before you can clear it. Also, if this does happen, make sure to spray key board cleaner compressed air in the detector to clear all air out of it. Run up to the corner later in the day and didn't take my phone. Fire trucks passed me on the way back. False alarm from smoke trapped in detector. Other than that, it's worked flawlessly and the No Contract is a definite plus. Just get the sensors you need. No pushy salesman selling stuff you don't need. If you need more later, it's easy to add.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

No problems with mine. Would buy again as well.

We have a pool and a one year old. I’m looking for a chirp, or one of those “back door” chimes every time the door opens. Will this system do that?

I bought a system for my daughters apartment in Nashville and it has worked as expected.

Quote Originally Posted by ersepton View Post
    We have a pool and a one year old. I’m looking for a chirp, or one of those “back door” chimes every time the door opens. Will this system do that?
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

[QUOTE=ersepton;2884096]We have a pool and a one year old. I’m looking for a chirp, or one of those “back door” chimes every time the door opens. Will this system do that?[/

Wherever you install your entry sensors, your base station will chirp when they are opened.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    That's any interesting solution. All the more reason to now put a sign out front advertising which kind of system one has, because if turning the motion sensors upside down to avoid dogs works, it means it leaves several feet of uncovered space at the floor... right?

Thanks for the info.
    I don't know, but if someone breaks into my house, avoids the glass break, camera, and contact sensors and wants to crawl to avoid the motion sensor, I wish them luck. They'll be face to face with two dachshunds that have no fear and I'd put my money on them over someone crawling to avoid the motion sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by Geetch View Post
    I don't know, but if someone breaks into my house, avoids the glass break, camera, and contact sensors and wants to crawl to avoid the motion sensor, I wish them luck. They'll be face to face with two dachshunds that have no fear and I'd put my money on them over someone crawling to avoid the motion sensor.
    ... Great points!
    ~ George Washington