Thread: TN Quail Opener

Hunted the TN quail opener outside of Nashville this past weekend. It was one of the prettiest placed that I have ever laid foot on. Every kind of cover and food immaginable was planted....

There were plenty of birds but everything was so think and green, that the dog was having trouble. A nice cold snap ought to fix that. Came out with eight birds.

We were headed back to the truck about quittin time when we caught a large covey 30+birds moving from the food into a thicket for the night. Of all times for it to happen, the dog broke and busted the covey. Still managed to pick up a couple singles.

Couldn't ask for a better day!!

awesome man! My first love was quail hunting. Love it. Unfortunately it is in worse shape in the Upstate of SC than ducks. Heading to Texas in January for quail (bobwhites). Can't wait. .410s and 28 ga. and limits by 10:30...or so my buddy told me from last year and they had a good hatch this year.

Congrats on a good hunt. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    If you don't know me how could I offend you?

If you are not a member of Delta or DU then you are living on duck welfare.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Good stuff Bullsprig!!

Man I really miss those days years ago when I used to bird hunt the whole countryside around here. Just me and my pointers. I think we knew the hangout of every covey in the county. Those were the good old days! There's a deep south romanticism about bird hunting, it's truly a gentlemen's sport, and man do I miss it!! What I wouldn't give to follow a good dog finding coveys of wild birds like the old day!!

I had my dad sell my dogs for me when I went into the USAF in the early 70s. Already it was starting to get harder and harder to find birds.

Nowdays, around here, I count myself lucky just to hear a single bob calling in the spring.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

I went over thanksgiving , up on the Cumberland Platteau, had 2 good days of quail hunting.3-4 coveys each morning. We hunted behind a couple German Wirehairs, nice dogs.

If anybody has the dogs I have the wild coveys... damn things scare me to death busting out of cover while I am scouting the farm. Send me a PM if you have a dog to flush them 'cause I am ready to blast a few. [img]graemlins/crazyquail.gif[/img]

I am not sure how the birds range but I have jumped what I believe to be 5-6 coveys between 10-30 birds each on the 415 acers (some smaller of course ie 6-10 birds). I do not really know enough about the birds to speak intelligently but they are and in good numbers and the habitat is perfect for them, lots of ag. plantation pines and cutdown.