Thread: Burning Browntop

Default Burning Browntop

We have a five-acre field that we plant in browntop every year, usually results in a couple good hunts before the field is planted for fall food plots. Normally we cut the field and disc strips into it but this year I want to burn it. Couple questions for those that burn:

Do you cut the filed then burn it or just leave it standing, put a break around the perimeter and burn?

Biggest question I have is on timing. We will generally do two, three hunts max on the field, all in the first couple weeks of season, with the main hunt being on opening day. At this point our field is pretty established and there are several other fields within a couple miles. As a result, at opening weekend there are generally a good many birds in the area. Interested to hear when y'all would recommend to burn?

TIA
    Formerly DM88

Burning millet just seems silly to me

Why not just mow it or mow strips? After it seems depleted, then burn the leftover chaff to expose any remaining seeds.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

All I do is millet for my doves and plowing bush hogging and burning is how i do it. Burning leaves cleaner ground which doves like
    80-20 Genaration

DM, what is ypur timeframe for burning? I’m sure you are probably working with more acreage but what do you think is an adequate time prior to hunting?

As far as mowing then burning, we may try that in the future. We use our land as one big experiment, trying different things to see what works and doesn’t. Makes it fun and always keeps it interesting. If it doesn’t work, oh well, there’s always next year!
    Last edited by dubs; 06-20-2021 at 08:06 PM.
    Formerly DM88

I’ll burn strips about every week or two throughout the season. Field is strictly a dove field.
    80-20 Genaration

Best looking dove field planting I ever saw in my life turned into nothing when the manager burnt it...It burnt so hot that all the seed was ash.

Best dove field I actually shot over was burnt in strips and then the planted areas of corn, millet and sunflowers on the sides were slung out over the burnt areas when mowed.

I run a silage chopper and throw strips on plowed ground...No wildfire danger if you got the equipment.