Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunday Hunting on WMA

Why is the meeting taking place way out there in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by Chap View Post
    Why is the meeting taking place way out there in the first place?
    Closest to Bob Jones U.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Seasons and access should not be different for public vs private land period. If hunters pay, then all users should pay, regardless if you like Karen or not. You don’t like out of staters competing? Raise out of state lic fee and lower their limits. Too much pressure, lower limits. A boater pays. And of course hunters and fisherman. Why can’t a hiker or biker? I’m not for more gov. But that ship has sailed concerning this. You have to pay just to park at many state parks. If fees are mandated to support the resource it seems like it would be a good thing.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Many NC WMAs will be open to Sunday hunting as of 8/1/2021. I suspect the bear hunters in SC are worried the boys across the mountain may get one on Sunday before they do. Starting this fall, I can now chase grouse on Sunday if I choose to.

I am conflicted on the Sunday hunting. Many of my good woodcock spots are on WMA. It would be nice to have an extra afternoon or two when the flight is in.

Karen and her army from the suburbs have had a seat at the table for many years. Just look at the mismanagement of public forest anywhere in the US over the past 40 years.
    Last edited by Two Barrels; 06-15-2021 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Closest to Bob Jones U.

"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

What about a compromise for the already pressured public land game... Sunday hunting limited to SC residents only.

Article 1 section 25 of 2010 outlines specifically that as residents of SC we are constitutionally right to hunt.

Pursuing a restriction for what ever reason is in direct violation of that Amendment especially if it only applies to hunting. If you want rest days, then make it a real rest day and close the property to EVERYONE for EVERYTHING otherwise the argument is a disingenuous attempt at imposing your sabbath to someone else.

I am not against rest days but damn. I'm kind of over getting piss on my leg under the auspices of precipitation.

I like residents only on Sunday. What we need regarding OOS is higher license fees. When traveling to many other states you pay out the nose to hunt. When I lived in Wyoming and Idaho without residency I paid $500 annually between both states to just fish and shoot ducks. Heck NC charges higher license fees for neighboring states than regular OOS fees. I think with everything going on with the flounder, having longest deer season, etc. people should pay to play if they wanna hunt/fish in SC.
    More Ducks, Less People

I’m curious. For the guys who are against hunting on Sunday because of religious views, does that apply to all outdoor activities or hobbies or just hunting/fishing? I’ve never quite understood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amen

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Article 1 section 25 of 2010 outlines specifically that as residents of SC we are constitutionally right to hunt.

Pursuing a restriction for what ever reason is in direct violation of that Amendment especially if it only applies to hunting. If you want rest days, then make it a real rest day and close the property to EVERYONE for EVERYTHING otherwise the argument is a disingenuous attempt at imposing your sabbath to someone else.

I am not against rest days but damn. I'm kind of over getting piss on my leg under the auspices of precipitation.

It makes no sense to have different seasons and different days open to private land owners. Depending on the game species a lot of private land is more pressured than public. Certainly most deer clubs are.

Quote Originally Posted by duckmeat View Post
    not directly on topic, but those that think karen doesnt have a say.....a $10 fishing license gets a say. so go ahead and tack on the public use charge. iv got to pay to play so should everyone else. tired of freeloaders

not for the sunday hunting. i dont care much about anything but duck hunting anyway, so im game for some rest. even if you dont hunt public, same birds are using private
    There are no WMA restrictions for fishing on Sunday so your statement above regards to the $10 fishing license is warrantless IMO.

Keeping in mind that no other users including people fishing, hikers, bird watchers etc. have Sunday restrictions on WMA and pay no additional fees to access WMAs (including fishing) and the fact that they can use the resource 12 months a year (including on Sunday) their voice may have a place at the table but it shouldn't carry the same weight as the users that buys the $30.50 WMA permit and can only use the resource a few months a year.

Another consideration should be the current trend of dwindling hunters and licenses sold every year. The legislature and SCDNR should want to create a better opportunity for those that use the WMAs the most and actually pays for the access via the $30.50 permit fee in anticipation that it may stabilize or increase the number of licenses sold.

It is my belief that the vast majority of outdoorsman work Monday- Friday. These folks probably outnumbere the retired, shift workers or unemployed outdoorsman combined by a large margin and any WMA use considerations should keep this in mind when hunt days are being discussed. I've been a WMA hunter since 1981 and one day a week just doesn't work for me anymore.

Open it up to resident hunters 7 days a week and let it roll!
    Last edited by scatter shot; 06-15-2021 at 11:09 AM.

WMA pressure is nothing like it used to be in the 80s, at least as far as deer hunting is concerned. A doe day in the western piedmont had a truck at nearly every pull off on the road through the SNF.

I rarely if ever hunt public land so I guess I don't have much of a dog in the fight. But common sense to me would be it is not a good idea to add another high pressure hunting day to an already dwindling turkey population on public land.

It would be difficult to close the National Forest to NRs.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Duck View Post
    Seasons and access should not be different for public vs private land period. If hunters pay, then all users should pay, regardless if you like Karen or not. You don’t like out of staters competing? Raise out of state lic fee and lower their limits. Too much pressure, lower limits. A boater pays. And of course hunters and fisherman. Why can’t a hiker or biker? I’m not for more gov. But that ship has sailed concerning this. You have to pay just to park at many state parks. If fees are mandated to support the resource it seems like it would be a good thing.
    Very, very true. I'm glad you said this. Government was invented specifically because citizens don't settle their disputes well. Nor do they excel at conserving for others.

I am very grateful for state DNR agencies, despite any failings perceived on my part or others.

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    There are no WMA restrictions for fishing on Sunday so your statement above regards to the $10 fishing license is warrantless IMO.

Keeping in mind that no other users including people fishing, hikers, bird watchers etc. have Sunday restrictions on WMA and pay no additional fees to access WMAs (including fishing) and the fact that they can use the resource 12 months a year (including on Sunday) their voice may have a place at the table but it shouldn't carry the same weight as the users that buys the $30.50 WMA permit and can only use the resource a few months a year.

Another consideration should be the current trend of dwindling hunters and licenses sold every year. The legislature and SCDNR should want to create a better opportunity for those that use the WMAs the most and actually pays for the access via the $30.50 permit fee in anticipation that it may stabilize or increase the number of licenses sold.

It is my belief that the vast majority of outdoorsman work Monday- Friday. These folks probably outnumbere the retired, shift workers or unemployed outdoorsman combined by a large margin and any WMA use considerations should keep this in mind when hunt days are being discussed. I've been a WMA hunter since 1981 and one day a week just doesn't work for me anymore.

Open it up to resident hunters 7 days a week and let it roll!
    my point is it would be cheap to purchase the same thing we all do to have equal grounds for a seat at the table. although to think that any of these small amounts would hold enough weight to have a seat that actually accounts for an opinion that would make a change is a joke anyway. and yes i do believe that the "other users" should have the same regulations/stipulations as the hunters.

letting the "most users" make the call for the WMA would be terrible. way more hikers, bikers, bird watchers than hunters. i believe that would not head in a good direction.

Id say open it 7 days a week but have cut off times and limited access areas. Do like Florida does and have lottery hunts.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Y’all actually think we have a seat at the table? Karen sits at the table and is at the head of it with zero sweat or financial equity. This meeting is us fighting for our spot at that table that we’ve paid for.