Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake Jocassee....

Default Lake Jocassee....

Maybe some of yall can clarify or give some reason behind what I saw this past Saturday up there.

A bunch of us went out on a pontoon ride this past saturday and they seemed to be having a pretty big bass tourney on the lake. Now I'm not PETA nor do I frown upon a dead fish at the scales b/c I know stuff happens. But when we got back to the landing where they were having their weigh-in, there was a pile of dead fish laying on the ground next to the weigh-in spot. I'm talking like 30-40 dead bass laying there and it looked like there were still a good many of folks yet to weigh in. A few folks threw some of the fish back at the dock and you could see them doing the death spin on top of the water. I'm assuming the depth of which they caught the fish had a lot to do with it, but if every tourney turns out like that, I don't see how the bass population could withstand that type of kill rate. Hopefully somebody had a nice fish fry afterwards.

Sometimes tournaments result in a fish fry. Most require you to bring fish back alive or there is a pretty heft penalty. I know the tournaments(excluding striper) that I have fished in had very high release rates of fish swimming off healthy.

I’ve never fished in a tournament that somebody didn’t take the dead fish to clean.

I wouldn’t give the “kill rate” a second thought. There’s plenty more out there

There are lost gill nets killing more than you saw every day...

I've fished some BFLs and maybe stuff like that happened behind the scenes but they weren't out laying on the ground like that. I figured it might have something to do with how deep they were catching them, but who knows. It just didn't look good. And of course when we walked by, a bunch of folks were asking why they were killing all of the fish. Most folks I know that fish tourneys tend to fizz them when they catch them in deep water like that.

Could've easily been a spotted bass pile.

Alot of tourney guys have tried to be my proactive in keeping any spots during their tournaments
    Last edited by quack head 11; 06-14-2021 at 08:42 AM.
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Could very well been spots. I didnt get that close to them.

Should be illegal to release a spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    100 freaking percent
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Plus they eat better than a large or small mouth...

Paaa-reach
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Question for you guys, or if there are any biologist on here. I catch spotted bass regularly on the lakes around here. They are fun to catch, due to how aggressive they are, and the fight they put up. What's the reasoning on getting rid of them? Are they invasive, do they diminish largemouth populations due to taking the food? Should I keep every one I catch? I normally catch and release bass, unless we have a fish fry planned, especially from the Catawba river system. I'll keep them and give them away if it helps the largemouth population. Just wondering what the research and science behind this is.
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

They are invasive AF. Don’t you dare release one of those damn things. If you don’t want them then give them to folks who do.

They are invasive AF.
    Thanks, AGAIN, tournament bass fishermen. The best smallmouth fisheries in NC are all but shells of their former selves now...

I like to make it a point to let glitter boat people see me throwing LM in the cooler when I catch them stripper fishing......
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Can’t even catch a decent Red Eye anymore because they’ve all been hybridized with those damn spots. And, yes, it was absolutely tournament fishermen that brought the damn things here.

Release into the grease. The state having a limit on spots is embarrassing.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Default Lake Jocassee....

Thanks guys. I was not aware of had gotten that bad, although I seem to catch as many spots as other bass these days. I have a guy down the road who will take any fish I bring him. I’’m about to make him and his wife real happy. Hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by billbuster84; 06-14-2021 at 09:59 AM.
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

Excellent

Take him and the wife with you and fill the damn boat.

Excellent

Take him and the wife with you and fill the damn boat.
    He ain’t getting in a boat, if you know what I mean. He chewed me out for throwing 12” largemouth back at a DNR lake one morning. He was fishing from the bank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk