Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Lever Gun

Default The Lever Gun

It’s an old article, popped up on my fb news feed yesterday from field and stream. I enjoyed it so thought I’d pass it along, something about a lever gun speaks to my soul. I was surprised Henry didn’t make the list

I had never heard of the .348 Winchester before, but it seemed like there was a thread on here a while back about the savage 99’s, can’t remember who posted it though.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/artic...5k2FuBmh_3WqTc
    Last edited by Duck cutter; 06-13-2021 at 09:52 PM.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

348 was designed to put 06 power in a levergun. Would love to add a Winchester 71 to the safe. They say its the finest lever ever made
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I had a 99A in 308. Took two fingers to pull the trigger. Beautiful firearm but couldnt get anyone to work on the trigger so it went down the road.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I own, or have owned everything on the list except the 71. I had a BLR in .270. It was beautiful but it felt like the bolt was about to hit you in the eye at full stroke. Traded it for a 700 Mountain Rifle in 270. I’ve got a 99F in .300 Savage. Got a 64 , Cadillac version of Winchester 94 in 30 WCF, several Marlins, and I’ve had a couple of 88s. The 88s we’re beautiful but the triggers sucked and I sold both for a profit.

I am sick for lever guns. Have a fair number of Winchesters and Savage 99s. A 94 Winchester is a handy rifle to have around. Hope to find and buy an 1895 someday soon. Would prefer to have one in 30-06 , but .405 would be super cool. Might as well add an 1873 in 44-40 to the list of wants.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I own one lever gun, a Marlin 1894 in .357 that I bought several years ago.
    It has become one of my absolute, favorite firearms I own to shoot and hunt with.
    It always brings a smile when going thru a box of ammo at the range.

20191108_094141.jpg

In an 30-06

I have a BLR in .308. Haven't killed a buck of that large size with it though. Great rifles. Superb photo HS.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

^^ good looking gun

The savage 99’s, Ruger 96’s or similar styles don’t appeal to me nearly as much as a lever action with a tubular magazine.

I do think the Brownings are nice looking as well as the Henry Long Ranger models. When I first saw that Henry was coming out with the long rangers a few years back I told myself I was going to buy one. Finally got my hands on one at a store and was disappointed. The smoothness of the action leaves a lot to be desired, IMO.

My 99 is one of my favorites to hunt with. It carries like a dream and the .300 Savage is very pleasant to shoot. You’re getting 90% of the performance of a 308 with less recoil. I keep threatening to carry mine west.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    ^^ good looking gun

The savage 99’s, Ruger 96’s or similar styles don’t appeal to me nearly as much as a lever action with a tubular magazine.

I do think the Brownings are nice looking as well as the Henry Long Ranger models. When I first saw that Henry was coming out with the long rangers a few years back I told myself I was going to buy one. Finally got my hands on one at a store and was disappointed. The smoothness of the action leaves a lot to be desired, IMO.
    As you know, I am a sucker for wheel guns and lever guns, especially carbine calibers....have a soft spot for Marlin 336s, 1894/1895s, and Winchester 94s. The new Henry Repeating Arms stuff is just disappointing....if you are still looking for a good lever 22, keep your eyes peeled for a Marlin 39A. I inherited a 39A Golden from my grandfather many moons ago and it is without a doubt the finest lever action I have ever shot. You seem to have good luck stumbling onto things....you NEED one of these!

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    As you know, I am a sucker for wheel guns and lever guns, especially carbine calibers....have a soft spot for Marlin 336s, 1894/1895s, and Winchester 94s. The new Henry Repeating Arms stuff is just disappointing....if you are still looking for a good lever 22, keep your eyes peeled for a Marlin 39A. I inherited a 39A Golden from my grandfather many moons ago and it is without a doubt the finest lever action I have ever shot. You seem to have good luck stumbling onto things....you NEED one of these!
    My dad has a 336 in .35, old JM stamped marlin my mom bought for him as a gift when he graduated high school. That particular one has an extremely stiff trigger. I keep saying I’m going to buy a Wild West trigger kit and install it for him.

I’m happy with the Henry rimfires, I have a 22lr and a 22mag, the magnum I have set up with the saddle ring receiver and large loop lever and I can spin cock it like chuck connors. Im even pleased with the single shot .308 I have from Henry but I’ve given up hope on their large caliber lever guns. I’ll keep an eye out for the Marlin thiugh, I’ve always heard good things about them

I’ve got a 94 as well,
    Here’s the story with it, https://scducks.com/forum/showthread...ghlight=Raffle

I only have two, a 94 and 336 both in 30-30. The Marlin was given to my grandad in the early 90s and it has been sitting in a safe since then practically brand new condition, I put a 2x7 leupold on it and plan to kill a few deer with it this year. The 94 is a late 70s model I believe and in excellent condition. I need to put a peep sight on it and kill something with it.

20201223_192634.jpg
    Love a lever gun. 38-40 from my great grandfather here. Regularly shoot a blr in 7-08. She bad. Got a 444 otw and always looking for more.

I deer hunt with my dads 1968 336RC 30-30 exclusively. I put the Wild West trigger in it and shoot the hornady leverolution 140 grain copper ammo. It has a Nikon monarch gold 1.5-6x42 on top with a #4 reticle.

95% of the time I’m hunting with my sons, but when it’s just me, I hunt out of a climber in a bow hunting set up pretty much with the 30-30.

Nice rifles, I was in PSA last week looking at the mostly empty ammo shelves and spotted ammo for a .307. Never heard of a .307 before but I see it was designed for lever action rifles. They had several boxes on the shelf.

My second most searched for image on Flickr...

Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank1 View Post
    Nice rifles, I was in PSA last week looking at the mostly empty ammo shelves and spotted ammo for a .307. Never heard of a .307 before but I see it was designed for lever action rifles. They had several boxes on the shelf.
    I had one. Winchester 94 big bore. Rimmed 308. It was not one of their best efforts...
    Marlin made a few 336ERs chambered in it as well. You could also get both in .356 Winchester, a rimmed 358 Winchester. Both cartridges are too much in a 94. Straight stock was unpleasant to shoot. Way more tolerable in the Marlin.
    Last edited by FLS; 06-23-2021 at 09:56 PM.

This mornings lever gun casualty
    129D0A9C-66CF-4A17-96C0-4B0BCF41489D.jpg

@Duck cutter

Great shot, great gun, great hunt. I'm glad we don't have pigs at our place but I would make the most of it if we did...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.