Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Lumber

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    I just can’t bring myself to get excited about a gas station
    Well you ain't been to a buccees then. I could live at one for week and be perfectly content

The business model well grow. Like CFA did years ago. They pay above the median SC income. SC should subsidize so we can close rest areas.

I’ve got equipment delivering mid Sept

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I just wish these Texas boys would hurry up with these Buc-cees. Gas station brisket, y'all...

Lumber prices are already dropping aside from 2x10, trucking is whats going to keep it high for a while. Well, that and greed.

The lumber price bubble has finally burst. In what has been described as a perfect storm of skyrocketing demand and insufficient supply over the course more than a year, lumber prices dropped last week after soaring to new heights.

Prices dropped to about $1,200 per thousand board feet after hitting a record high of more than $1,500 in May, according to Fortune magazine. Soaring lumber prices had nearly tripled over the past year.

The fall in prices this month has been linked to a drop in new home construction and home-improvement sales in May, as the market finally balked at the high price of lumber, according to Fortune.

Also, "lumber producers have plans to build eight new grassroot sawmills that will add more than 1.5 board feet per year of product," said Randy Godet, Industrial Info's vice president of research for the Pulp, Paper & Wood Industry. "These are expected to come online over the next 12 to 24 months and will help sate some of the demand, and we could see prices pull back even further. "

"We're not alarmed to see a drawback in lumber prices because more capacity started coming online earlier this year," Godet continued. "And even with the additional capacity that is slated for 2022, we think that it's unlikely that prices will fall below pre-pandemic levels ($500-$600 per 1,000 board feet) anytime soon because demand will remain strong given that the U.S. is facing a shortage of new houses--even with current housing starts on track for more than 1 million units in 2021 and are forecasted to be incrementally higher in 2022."

Industrial Info is tracking $963 million worth of lumber and wood-related projects in the U.S. that are under construction. Subscribers to Industrial Info's Global Market Intelligence (GMI) Pulp, Paper & Wood Project Database can click here for a list of detailed reports.

Lumber prices began rising more than a year ago as U.S. homeowners on lockdown during the COVID-19 pandemic embarked on a wave of do-it-yourself (DIT) projects, driving up demand. Also, growing demand by millennials led to the tightest housing market in recent years.

Skyrocketing lumber prices caused the price of an average new single-family home to increase by $35,872, the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) said in April.

Overall housing starts increased 3.6% in May to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 1.57 million units, according to a report from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and the U.S. Census Bureau.

"However, single-family permits posted a decline as higher construction costs are deterring some residential construction activity. Policymakers need to help the industry's supply chains in order to protect housing affordability," said NAHB Chief Economist Robert Dietz.

In the latest U.S. Federal Reserve Beige Book on economic activity, released June 2, several of the regional U.S. Reserve banks noted the high lumber costs.

"Construction and real estate activity increased slightly over the reporting period. Residential construction was little changed from a strong level. Contacts said that rising costs due to limited lot availability and higher material costs (particularly for lumber) were putting a damper on building," said the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.

In an effort to meet demand, North American softwood sawmill capacity increased by 1.4 billion board feet in the last year, according to Forisk Consulting. Most of that increased capacity--1.1. billion board feet--was from manufacturing in the U.S. South. The entire wood products manufacturing sector continues to produce at the highest levels since the Great Recession, according to the Federal Reserve Board.

Still, the market isn't expected to balance out for some time to come, according to market observers.

Finished inv at the mills is through the roof. Treaters have all but stoped buying. The company I work for just announced a curtailment in production due to high inventory company wide. We went from run all you can to 4 days 9hrs a day over night not just this mill but all 21 mills in the US South

monk monk sighting

all I know is that SOMEONE is making bank and it aint the dude what owns the tree....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Fact...

It ain’t the dude buying logs at the mill either

Can one of you lumber guys explain to me the relatively recent phenomenon of raw tree shipping? Over the last several years, I've seen operations pop up that take pine trunks, cut them about 40 feet long and stuff them in shipping containers. Why would it be cheaper than shipping finished lumber? I'm guessing it's some sort of tax dodge for some weird tariff on finished lumber. Maybe it's just sawmill labor is cheaper in third world countries.

Prices are dropping and dropping fast. 3 weeks ago pricing was 1000-1200 per thousand. This week we are around mid 600s. This is a sales avg of all products at our mill. Mills who’s main product is 2x4 are still in the 900 range. Sales volumes are also dropping, million feet sales days are gone for now. Trucking is still a problem for both lumber and raw wood deliveries.

I’ve seen docks & lots of lumber sitting waiting to be picked up or shipped. There’s no shortage of lumber. Home Depot is taking a page from Walmart & chartering a couple ships so they don’t have supply chain issues. Big gamble

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuckTX View Post
    Well you ain't been to a buccees then. I could live at one for week and be perfectly content
    It’s one of the most unbelievable places I’ve been. We were there for almost an hour when I took my wife & son on our way home from Tuscaloosa. They had been open a month & they were hiring still, minimum starting wage there was $17.50 an hour & top was $37.50 an hour.
    Last edited by Tugted312; 06-23-2021 at 05:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tugted312 View Post
    It’s one of the most unbelievable places I’ve been. We were there for almost an hour when I took my wife & son on our way home from Tuscaloosa. They had been open a month & they were hiring still, minimum starting wage there was $17.50 an hour & top was $37.50 an hour.
    They are opening one in Florence and are advertising a food service manager job opening. Starting pay is $125k.

Wow