Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lumber

Default Lumber

So a 2x4x8 at Home Depot is $8.25, do you think when all is said and done we will see a gradual decrease in price once supply demands have been met or is this the new benchmark for pricing??

I believe until the housing market slows down we are at the new price point. If the Fed raises interest rates it will probably slow housing which should bring lumber back down.

I’m far from educated on the market but until something big and bad happens I don’t see them coming down. Again, I’m m not as educated on this matter as I should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

As long as it’s being bought at the current prices, it’s staying put. When mills/suppliers start choking on inventory it’ll fall like a rock. The downside is the housing market will be in the crapper in a lot of places.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

2x4x8 was 9.25 in feb so it seems price may be dropping already.

Prices have already come down slightly and will continue to come down a little bit over the next 6 months. You’ll still see inflated prices until there is a larger correction in the economy. I see OSB coming down to 20-25 a sheet. It won’t come down to sub $10 until housing slows down a lot

Last edited by dubs; 06-13-2021 at 04:29 PM.
    Formerly DM88

Like steel it is a cyclical business.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    UH no, lumber has never cost this much, this is robbery

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    I would agree it is ‘cyclical’. However, I also hear some variation of the phrase ‘I’ve never seen anything like this before’ multiple times a week... this cycle ain’t your average one, that’s for sure.
    Formerly DM88

Yeah what we are seeing now is scary. Just imagine if it was food or some other “necessity” that was more widely reported and felt by the masses

Yeah, nothing normal and cyclical about it....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by bitesize View Post
    Yeah what we are seeing now is scary. Just imagine if it was food or some other “necessity” that was more widely reported and felt by the masses
    I would be interested to see the quantities of LP products sold from 1Q2020 and 1Q2021. Was there a 145% increase in OSB demand to match the 145% increase in net sale dollars?
    Formerly DM88

Copied from an investor report from a regional company!

“”Excluding the negative impact of the currency conversion of $23 million, pressure-treated wood sales rose $102 million, or 21 per cent, driven by pricing and volume gains in the residential lumber product category and improved pricing for utility poles, offset in part by a reduction in sales price for railway ties, particularly for the non-Class 1 business. The increase in logs and lumber sales stems from the significant rise in the market price of lumber.“”

So a 2x4x8 at Home Depot is $8.25, do you think when all is said and done we will see a gradual decrease in price once supply demands have been met or is this the new benchmark for pricing??
    Not to we get rid of the idiot and friends and china running this country you want
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I have 40 houses pre-sold in just one of my developments. 20 in another. I have never seen it this good. Stopped pre-sales because prices could not keep up with inflation and the supply chain is broken on several other components.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

I live in summerville and there is no end in sight to development. One of the big vinyl village builders is framing them, putting roofs on then, and then wrapping the whole house in house wrap, over the windows and all and just waiting on the windows. I called my rep at builders first source. He said windows are about four months out if you can even get them.

I flip houses and I am not doing shit right now. No inventory. Too much speculation and no foreclosures which is what I typically buy. It's a waiting game I guess. Strange times.

Thats great you are selling like you are. How do you price a spec house in these times? It seems like a huge risk.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

Price it with inflation adjuster or wait until sheetrock is on to price.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

OSB will be $8 again. Not sure how long but I feel like it will. Seen similar before , albeit not this high
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Inflationary prices are all ready being seen in all aspects of the food industry. Meat is one of the first commodities that is apparent, the others are following. Another example - The cost of a CHEP pallet ( which is something the devil WALMARKs created ) has doubled overnight. Fuel, feed, packaging/ labor , all things that will drive prices to record levels. You ain't seen nothing yet.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.