Thread: May Fishing

Default May Fishing

Trout -Current is still key. On an outgoing look for creek drains along the main rivers/waterways. On an incoming work along broken shell banks. My larger trout are coming up smaller creeks fishing the current breaks mid tide. A jig head with your favorite soft plastic or a popping cork should get you bites.

Redfish -I am seeing groups of a dozen or so fish packing together on low tides just inside current breaks on shorelines to catch bait as it drift down the shoreline. Look for small oyster points that bump the current out slightly off the shore, fish just inside these. Despite the rising temps the fish have not seemed to mind getting shallow.

Another tactic that has been working is to fish deeper marsh drains on the outgoing. Look on the maps for large areas of flooded marsh and then identify the creeks feeding them. Go back in time on google maps until you find a low tide image where you can see the deepest parts of these creeks. Fish these pockets as it will be where bait is flushed into and fish will stage to feed on them.

Additionally fishing the outside of a bend on a creek that hits up against a hard bank is a good bet and will continue to get better as water temps rise.

Sharks - often overlooked but a blast to catch on light tackle. You can target bonnet heads cruising the shallow shorelines on low tide, look for the fins and pitch a shrimp in their path then hold on. In deeper water you can catch sharpnose and blacktips on cut bait and bonnets on shrimp, fishing mid tide in faster current will keep bait stealers off your line.

As out waterways get more crowded and the weather gets warmer stay safe. Drink water and be mindful of the sun and afternoon storms.
    Also be respectful to other boaters and be helpful to those less experienced. Be courteous and give space to individuals fishing.

IMG_4305.jpg

IMG_4411.jpg

IMG_4412.jpg

IMG_4413.jpg

Screenshot 2021-06-11 at 7.57.34 AM.jpg

Screenshot 2021-06-11 at 7.58.16 AM.jpg

You give away a lot of hard won info and that's a booner bonnethead.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    You give away a lot of hard won info and that's a booner bonnethead.
    That bonnet smoked a shrimp on a 4000 reel, it was a blast to watch.

If I can be a resource to someone who can't be on the water as much as me I am all for it. I spend a lot of time watching these fish trying to understand their trends/movements and still keep plenty to myself. If its just myself on the boat I'll stake out or slowly pole a shoreline, flat, or creek and just watch for a few hours to see what lines the fish travel, how they use the structure, what parts of the tide they are most active on, bait in the area etc. I've learned a lot and haven't even scratched the surface.

I've learned a lot and haven't even scratched the surface.
    I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy sharing a boat with you, and I dont like sharing boats with most folks.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy sharing a boat with you, and I dont like sharing boats with most folks.
    PASSION
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...

Awesome info, great post. Thank you

Great report!

Very generous of you

Cleve is good people, for sure.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff