Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: You make the call...

So no chase? Understand I have no personal investment in this, as this is strictly a job and not chasing would make my job easier and much less risky. (Not applicable for this incident) But, common sense tells us that most do not run to avoid a speeding ticket, as the risks outweigh potential reward for the reasonable person. Should pursuits be tabled all together? Do you think the amount of people that “fail to stop” would increase or decrease? How would it affect overall crime? I’m ok with any of the above.. simply asking questions.
    “Get out among the mountains and trees, friend, as soon as you can. They will do more for you than either man or woman could.” Theodore Roosevelt to John Muir after his wife's passing in 1905.

It certainly doesn't appear that the lady in this vid was trying to run from the cop, the opposite actually. I don't think I have what it takes to be a LEO, I appreciate what they do but this appears wrong. Hypotheticals are just that.

I'm guessing the lady wasn't African American?
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by tjm84 View Post
    So no chase? Understand I have no personal investment in this, as this is strictly a job and not chasing would make my job easier and much less risky. (Not applicable for this incident) But, common sense tells us that most do not run to avoid a speeding ticket, as the risks outweigh potential reward for the reasonable person. Should pursuits be tabled all together? Do you think the amount of people that “fail to stop” would increase or decrease? How would it affect overall crime? I’m ok with any of the above.. simply asking questions.
    What cant factor in decision making is trying to think your way through what should be a split second decision.

What is department policy? Is that sort of thing left up to the officer? If it is I can see it leading to lawsuits.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    What cant factor in decision making is trying to think your way through what should be a split second decision.

What is department policy? Is that sort of thing left up to the officer? If it is I can see it leading to lawsuits.
    Most agencies have a check box type policy with certain criteria that must be met to pursue, and to PIT. Most of those policies leave final discretion to continue the pursuit and PIT up to the highest level supervisor for that division. Most common factors considered when the decision to continue the pursuit is in question are: crime committed, subject known or unknown, additional occupants, traffic conditions, area and road type pursuit is being conducted. But yes, these are split second decisions made under stress which can cloud decision making. Thus the reason for supervisor discretion. Mind you that supervisor is often making that decision based on the officer involved advisements of factors listed above through radio traffic.
    “Get out among the mountains and trees, friend, as soon as you can. They will do more for you than either man or woman could.” Theodore Roosevelt to John Muir after his wife's passing in 1905.

Most agencies have a check box type policy with certain criteria that must be met to pursue, and to PIT. Most of those policies leave final discretion to continue the pursuit and PIT up to the highest level supervisor for that division. Most common factors considered when the decision to continue the pursuit is in question are: crime committed, subject known or unknown, additional occupants, traffic conditions, area and road type pursuit is being conducted. But yes, these are split second decisions made under stress which can cloud decision making. Thus the reason for supervisor discretion. Mind you that supervisor is often making that decision based on the officer involved advisements of factors listed above through radio traffic.
    Is there ever an audit of dashcam to confirm reports to supervisor?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

tjm84, I appreciate your insight into this, thanks for your service.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Is there ever an audit of dashcam to confirm reports to supervisor?
    Absolutely

Absolutely
    Thanks for answering the questions. They are not an attack. Appreciate the insight and from what you've shared I dont see where you can get away with situationally go nogo on folks for long.

I think he could have gotten her tag number and meet her at home if he was so hot to write that ticket. Going by what I saw from the dash cam. Being on the job 27 yrs. don't make his actions correct. No hypotheticals just those 9 or 10 min of video.

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    Better the guilty go free than harm or imprison the innocent. What if that unknown thief/murderer had his 2 yr old in the car with him, not in a car seat of course because the thief/murderer is also a shit dad? You pit him because he was speeding, the car flips, and the innocent 2 year old dies as a result. You got the bad guy though. Or let’s say that the theft/murder has been reported along with a description and tag of the vehicle. Vehicle going 84 in a 70, throws blue lights, vehicle slows, and puts hazards on, and after 127 seconds cop performs PIT. Cop rushes over to the vehicle and shouts “I got you now, you dirty thief/murderer”. Nope, sorry, it’s some 16 year old neighbor girl the thief/murderer let borrow his car and she was just following the procedure for pulling over for police that she just learned in her driving class a few months ago.
    You can ask Chuck Wright how that first one felt. They "rollin' thundered" a lady with her kid in the car and it didn't end well.

Over some weed.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    I'm guessing the lady wasn't African American?
    This would be the number 1 news story in America if she was.

OK, I'll weigh in....

I have a bunch of friends and family that are police. If they did something like this I would personally beat their ass! This was nothing more than a power trip!

There, I said it. Peace out!

I’ve actually had a Cartel member on a speeding violation turn his hazards own and lure me out of town and out of the public eye. BUT.... I still wouldn’t get my panties in a wad over her actions. They were very reasonable. His actions were severely over the top and uncalled for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dick View Post
    OK, I'll weigh in....

I have a bunch of friends and family that are police. If they did something like this I would personally beat their ass! This was nothing more than a power trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dick View Post
    OK, I'll weigh in....