Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You make the call...

Default You make the call...

Hazards and not speeding/driving evasively equals looking for a safe place to pull over in my mind
    Carolina Counsel

If that had been my wife, I would find that cop and beat his brains out of his ears.

Quote Originally Posted by SCHUNTINFANATIC View Post
    If that had been my wife, I would find that cop and beat his brains out of his ears.
    Absodamnlutely

Total bullshit. The “chase” lasted less than 2 minutes. What’s more, the department is doubling down that the actions the officer took were warranted, even though the state driving laws clearly state that if conditions are unsafe to pull over, to reduce speed and activate your hazards. Oh, and she was pregnant.

Is there a "rest of the story"? Will we find out tomorrow that she had knocked over a likker store and gunned down an old lady buying her sherry? Guess we will see, but it doesn't look good for the officer who will have to suffer a sleepless night knowing that $10 million or so in taxpayer settlement funds will go to this woman...

proving her intent will be the issue. Ive told my wife in situations like this where she cant pull over call 911 so its recorded and they can hopefully relay to the officer.

There is a big thing about this on ARF- about 98% including almost of the LEOs say at 60 the officer used deadly force against the woman- and that she was doing the right thing. Listen to the video of the lady and the cop talking just after the crash while she is still trapped in the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Is there a "rest of the story"? Will we find out tomorrow that she had knocked over a likker store and gunned down an old lady buying her sherry? Guess we will see, but it doesn't look good for the officer who will have to suffer a sleepless night knowing that $10 million or so in taxpayer settlement funds will go to this woman...
    I dont know but what's shown is pretty damning and if no "rest of the story" meaning no hit on the license plate, or issues such as you describe is a perfect example of what I dont like about qualified immunity.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Yea. That guys a complete asshole and deserves to go to jail. I hate when cops pull people over on the interstate. Everyone slams on brakes and changes lanes. It is far more dangerous than just letting people go a little over the speed limit. It should be a law that you have to pull off an exit when on the interstate.

Rest of the story is she was being pulled for normal speeding on the interstate- so he crashes her- 1 minute from an exit/ pullover spot

Hard to make the call without all information. How far did she drive? Did she pass any available exits or areas to pull over? How long did she drive. Was her speed reduced for the duration of that time? All the video shows is several segments of video which are put together with intent to portray the officer as negligent and reckless. There are no time/date/speed stamps in the video and it is obviously not the video in it’s entirety. While I’ll agree this video looks very bad, I’ve have personal experience of criminals who “ just knocked over the liquor store” make very similar maneuvers (reduce speed, turn signals, hazards, reduce speed) in an attempt to go just a little further so they may foot bail in a familiar or preferred location or in and attempt to ready, conceal or destroy weapons, evidence or contraband. If there is no more information and the officer did execute the PIT in that timeframe (several minutes) and none of the aforementioned occurred, odds are there will be a significant settlement or civil suit. I had an experienced officer tell me “bad incidents make bad case law” that create more strict policies that do not allow for discretion and/or take away valuable tools. There’s definitely a legitimate place for the PIT but this being an appropriate incident, unsure..
    “Get out among the mountains and trees, friend, as soon as you can. They will do more for you than either man or woman could.” Theodore Roosevelt to John Muir after his wife's passing in 1905.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Yea. That guys a complete asshole and deserves to go to jail. I hate when cops pull people over on the interstate. Everyone slams on brakes and changes lanes. It is far more dangerous than just letting people go a little over the speed limit. It should be a law that you have to pull off an exit when on the interstate.
    Add in the blinding lights that make seeing anything impossible at any hour, especially at night. Biggest pet peeve in the world.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by tjm84 View Post
    Hard to make the call without all information. How far did she drive? Did she pass any available exits or areas to pull over? How long did she drive. Was her speed reduced for the duration of that time? All the video shows is several segments of video which are put together with intent to portray the officer as negligent and reckless. There are no time/date/speed stamps in the video and it is obviously not the video in it’s entirety. While I’ll agree this video looks very bad, I’ve have personal experience of criminals who “ just knocked over the liquor store” make very similar maneuvers (reduce speed, turn signals, hazards, reduce speed) in an attempt to go just a little further so they may foot bail in a familiar or preferred location or in and attempt to ready, conceal or destroy weapons, evidence or contraband. If there is no more information and the officer did execute the PIT in that timeframe (several minutes) and none of the aforementioned occurred, odds are there will be a significant settlement or civil suit. I had an experienced officer tell me “bad incidents make bad case law” that create more strict policies that do not allow for discretion and/or take away valuable tools. There’s definitely a legitimate place for the PIT but this being an appropriate incident, unsure..
    I think many “bad incidents” could be prevented if departments were given the necessary funds to provide the appropriate level of training for what I consider to be the most stressful profession in existence. They also need funding to provide much higher salaries to attract individuals that may be better suited to the rigors of the job. I know several people that are or have been in law enforcement that I wouldn’t trust with the responsibility of caring for a pet rock, yet they are given the authority to deprive people of their freedom and, potentially, their lives. There also needs to be a heavy increase in the amount of mental care and down time that LEOs receive to reduce the risks associated with job burnout. There’s a lot more I could say on this, but my point is policing, through a combination of radical changes to funding and policy, could be substantially better, and incidents like the one in question are evidence that it should.
    Last edited by wskinner; 06-09-2021 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    I think many “bad incidents” could be prevented if departments were given the necessary funds to provide the appropriate level of training for what I consider to be the most stressful profession in existence. They also need funding to provide much higher salaries to attract individuals that may be better suited to the rigors of the job. I know several people that are or have been in law enforcement that I wouldn’t trust with the responsibility of caring for a pet rock, yet they are given the authority to deprive people of their freedom and, potentially, their lives. There also needs to be a heavy increase in the amount of mental care and down time that LEOs receive to reduce the risks associated with job burnout. There’s a lot more I could say on this, but my point is policing, through a combination of radical changes to funding and policy, could be substantially better, and incidents like the one in question are evidence that it should.
    I’m not gonna argue any of these points as they are all valid.. but mind you we’re in the time of defund/abolish LE.
    “Get out among the mountains and trees, friend, as soon as you can. They will do more for you than either man or woman could.” Theodore Roosevelt to John Muir after his wife's passing in 1905.

The only thing I can tell so far is that neither the driver nor occupants of the Explorer are minorities.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by tjm84 View Post
    I’m not gonna argue any of these points as they are all valid.. but mind you we’re in the time of defund/abolish LE.
    Cities are gonna have to pay for policing one way or another. Either through training and salaries, or lawsuits.

I'm of the opinion she should have pulled over and stopped. If she felt unsafe or if it was unsafe, the officer would have likely let her drive to the next exit after he made contact with her. In most cases these guys have to get permission from supervision to perform a PIT so I bet there is more to the story than we are getting here.

Renegade cops like this should be fired and lose their pension. Let them go be mall security until they are 70. This asshole will probably just “retire” and collect a check.