Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Legislators kickback time.

If gators, snakes, and skeeters were any deterrent to selling high dollar lots, someone explain Kiawah and Fripp to me. The marketing is done in New York, packaged in Charleston, and deployed to major cities via real estate trade shows in the north that will have lines of prospective buyers out the door. They will sell hundreds of lots in a day, many sight unseen. People will pay just to get a spot to be in position to purchase. It is quite a thing to see.

When development comes, the surrounding landowners will reap the whirlwind, as is their unquestioned right. Things will change as the lake slowly becomes just another lake full of jetski's and such. It is what it is.

Those who don't want to see it change can-

A. Buy it ourselves.

or

B. Lobby our government into buying it with our tax dollars.

Since both of those options suck, you live with it.

What we shouldn't have to endure is our tax dollars being used to pave the way to making it happen while our own roads are full of holes...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    If gators, snakes, and skeeters were any deterrent to selling high dollar lots, someone explain Kiawah and Fripp to me. The marketing is done in New York, packaged in Charleston, and deployed to major cities via real estate trade shows in the north that will have lines of prospective buyers out the door. They will sell hundreds of lots in a day, many sight unseen. People will pay just to get a spot to be in position to purchase. It is quite a thing to see.

When development comes, the surrounding landowners will reap the whirlwind, as is their unquestioned right. Things will change as the lake slowly becomes just another lake full of jetski's and such. It is what it is.

A. Buy it ourselves.

or

What we shouldn't have to endure is our tax dollars being used to pave the way to making it happen while our own roads are full of holes...
    Nailed it.

All I am asking is why is making a lake bordered by four counties (to not include Florence) more navigable... of interest to a representative from Florence.

Justify why it needs to be done for your safety all you want. All I see is self interest paid for with public dollars unless shown otherwise.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    All I am asking is why is making a lake bordered by four counties (to not include Florence) more navigable... of interest to a representative from Florence.

Justify why it needs to be done for your safety all you want. All I see is self interest paid for with public dollars unless shown otherwise.
    I am pretty sure that Rep Lowe's district includes part of Sumter Co, but his duties and committee seats dictate that his actual purview reaches statewide anyway.

I am just jealous of the all the mahi-mahis and such he is gone down to whack...

Well he does have a house on eagle point though I'm not sure that makes a difference.

I am just jealous of the all the mahi-mahis and such he is gone down to whack...
    He brings me back a cooler of dorado filets and I'll donate two barn cats to his next fundraising hoedown and stump for him.

Quote Originally Posted by FHF View Post
    Where can I find out more about the Lake Marion stump removal project?
    you probably cant. Most likely, they already know who the "stump remover" will be
    and how the money will be split up

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    how the money will be split up
    I believe the proper term is "whack it up"...

I’ll give it a whirl.

Coastal resort properties are and always have been much more appealing than inland lakes to the folks that have the means to have a 2nd home.
    You know as well as I do, that Santee Cooper’s draw in its prime was to the blue collar fisherman, and later the Yankee golfer.
    We hosted the only freshwater stripers in the nation.

That has long since worn off as there are hatchery rockfish in every lake across this country.

With the killing of the grass in the mid 90’s, the fishery collapsed, and so did the economy that depended on it.

You remember well how booming the town of Santee was in the summer months.
    Golf courses packed, the lakes packed, bait shops and fish camps packed.

The outlet mall in Santee, swarming with women and small children while daddy fished the lake or played on of the lake courses.

All that vanished with the depleted fishery.

Within a few short years, hotels closed, restaurants closed, the mall closed, and golf courses closed.

Let it all lay fallow for over a decade, and those that did come annually have moved on to greener pastures.

Powerful local leaders (most of who are deceased now) who first drew the attention to our area were too old or long gone to exert the effort into rebuilding.

So we lost her.

Now, there have been multiple waterfront private communities attempted.
    Show me one that’s a success.

I’ll ride you through each one personally and show you a “300 home waterfront resort with an 18 hole course” with 5-10 scattered houses.
    Those poor souls that fell victim to the hype and bought before the fairways were dug.
    The last of the lake developments - North Shore and Ballards....
    One last attempt at making a dollar in development here.

Condos were listed, starting at 575k... with suites pushing 900k.
    Several local businessmen from Orangeburg invested their retirements, on that last glimmer of hope.

Most lost it all, and you can get one of those condos for about 120k now.
    The thrill is gone.

Now, those with the means to build a 2nd home look toward the coastline in still affordable areas like Hollywood, Meggett, or up north before Mount Pleasant consumes Awendaw.

So I ask again...

Where will this development be?

Blount’s Landing?

Spiers?

Jacks Creek?

Elliott’s?

Stumphole bank?

Where, and why?

What is the appeal?

Explain it to me.

A. Buy it ourselves.

or

Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

you probably cant. Most likely, they already know who the "stump remover" will be

Asking questions like that will change things, there would be a prequalifying process and seal bids open in public in a DNR board room or public building. All these projects need those type questions asked and a FOIA submitted. Some not all count on apathy. We cannot expect elected officials to be straightforward. Attending a few meetings a year will change things. They have done well with transparency you can watch live. This list is good but only a beginning for S.C. Twenty years ago none of these things would have to be defended.

Also, shockingly SLEDs public building was closed today for some odd reason. Now reporters are asking why about many things.

I’m not speaking for P-Lowe, but I would imagine it has something to do with the fact that wyboo is the most populated and booming portion of Marion.

It’s a smidgeon of recreational boating in an otherwise cypress swamp full of us bream fisherman.

They are basically locked from Taw Caw to Wyboo, with a horizon of wide open water just beyond the creek that is inaccessible due to the remains of the dead forest.

It’s like living on the ICW, looking out across Bulls Bay.

It appears to be a vast area, pulling you to blast across it and explore, but you know better.

You know damn well that if you do, you’ll likely run that pretty boat up on a 1ft deep sandbar, and either destroy your boat, or get stuck for hours, or both.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

The barge with the trackhoe on it has been all over the lake for a year or so. I've seen him at Randolf's along the dam, the Brickyard, and the Blow Out.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    I’ll give it a whirl.

Coastal resort properties are and always have been much more appealing than inland lakes to the folks that have the means to have a 2nd home.
    You know as well as I do, that Santee Cooper’s draw in its prime was to the blue collar fisherman, and later the Yankee golfer.
    We hosted the only freshwater stripers in the nation.

That has long since worn off as there are hatchery rockfish in every lake across this country.

With the killing of the grass in the mid 90’s, the fishery collapsed, and so did the economy that depended on it.

You remember well how booming the town of Santee was in the summer months.
    Golf courses packed, the lakes packed, bait shops and fish camps packed.

The outlet mall in Santee, swarming with women and small children while daddy fished the lake or played on of the lake courses.

All that vanished with the depleted fishery.

Within a few short years, hotels closed, restaurants closed, the mall closed, and golf courses closed.

Let it all lay fallow for over a decade, and those that did come annually have moved on to greener pastures.

Powerful local leaders (most of who are deceased now) who first drew the attention to our area were too old or long gone to exert the effort into rebuilding.

So we lost her.

Now, there have been multiple waterfront private communities attempted.
    Show me one that’s a success.

I’ll ride you through each one personally and show you a “300 home waterfront resort with an 18 hole course” with 5-10 scattered houses.
    Those poor souls that fell victim to the hype and bought before the fairways were dug.
    The last of the lake developments - North Shore and Ballards....
    One last attempt at making a dollar in development here.

Condos were listed, starting at 575k... with suites pushing 900k.
    Several local businessmen from Orangeburg invested their retirements, on that last glimmer of hope.

Most lost it all, and you can get one of those condos for about 120k now.
    The thrill is gone.

Now, those with the means to build a 2nd home look toward the coastline in still affordable areas like Hollywood, Meggett, or up north before Mount Pleasant consumes Awendaw.

So I ask again...

Where will this development be?

Blount’s Landing?

Spiers?

Jacks Creek?

Elliott’s?

Stumphole bank?

Where, and why?

What is the appeal?

Explain it to me.
    Yankees will buy anything on the water sight unseen. I can take you to countless developments in the middle of BFE on lakes that are owned by out of state landowners. No commerce, no industry to speak of for 30-50+ miles and yet every lot sold. Santee is no different, the only difference in the past endeavors is they weren't marketed to the right party at the right price.

Continuous downhill spiral since they brought in sterile carp and killed the hydrilla.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by ADP View Post
    Yankees will buy anything on the water sight unseen. I can take you to countless developments in the middle of BFE on lakes that are owned by out of state landowners. No commerce, no industry to speak of for 30-50+ miles and yet every lot sold. Santee is no different, the only difference in the past endeavors is they weren't marketed to the right party at the right price.
    Where?

What lakes?

In SC?

Prove it.

I can show you the last 6 major developments on Marion anytime you wish.

Why would the next one be a success?

The threat of development has been ingrained in me since I was a child.

Many have tried. All have failed.

Once we get done with Marion, I’d sure love somebody to try and sell me on Moultrie.

I appreciate your thoughts and pov. Look forward to hashing it out, especially the amount of developable land and how a sale of Santee Cooper's assets would factor in...

It’s in snow bottom right now. Saw it about 2 hours ago.
    7E13E9B0-B429-4D97-AC4B-24A4081C8F35.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Where?

What lakes?

In SC?

Prove it.

I can show you the last 6 major developments on Marion anytime you wish.

Why would the next one be a success?

The threat of development has been ingrained in me since I was a child.

Many have tried. All have failed.

I'm more familiar with waterfront property in NC so:

Tillery, Badin, High Rock, Waccamaw, White Lake. There is nothing even remotely close to these in regards of shopping malls or big industry. The closest one would be High Rock with a proximity to Lexington or Waccamaw / Wilmington but it's still a drive.

Depending on where you're at, nothing is close to Wateree in regards of industry unless you drive 40-50 miles to Columbia depending on where you're at but plenty of waterfront lots owned by absentee landowners.

I live in Dillon Co. and was recently contacted by a real estate agent from Charleston that had an interested party in buying my property if I wanted to sell because they noticed a 5 acre overgrown pond on the tract that was of interest to a buyer from up north. They are getting multiple calls every week looking for land.

Build it and they will come. You just can't price it at $900 mil and expect to find a flock of suckers.
    Last edited by ADP; 06-10-2021 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    It’s in snow bottom right now. Saw it about 2 hours ago.
    7E13E9B0-B429-4D97-AC4B-24A4081C8F35.jpg
    He’s allowed to remove floating timber and shoreline debri.

Not the same as the proposed RFP on standing timber.

And leave my fish alone.