Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Legislators kickback time.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    He’s allowed to remove floating timber and shoreline debri.

Not the same as the proposed RFP on standing timber.

And leave my fish alone.
    He must look both ways before he plucks the ones that aren’t floating, I’ve watched him do it.

I own one lake house. No other property. Never talked to a soul about developing anything in the lake. Just like recreation. No hidden agenda. Nothing.

I do not know who will even be interested in cutting stumps. No one is pick. No one has inquired. Get another conspiracy theory. If you want to talk about it I will be on the road all night Friday. I wold love the company on a 14 hour drive. 843-621-9999.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    He’s a land developer and wants Marion to look like Murray. And he wants to do it with our tax dollars.
    It’s that simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    I own one lake house. No other property. Never talked to a soul about developing anything in the lake. Just like recreation. No hidden agenda. Nothing.

I do not know who will even be interested in cutting stumps. No one is pick. No one has inquired. Get another conspiracy theory. If you want to talk about it I will be on the road all night Friday. I wold love the company on a 14 hour drive. 843-621-9999.
    As a lifelong lake resident, I fully support the idea.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

You should see all the industrial we are designing around Ridgeville and even further up 26. I could easily see Santee being a future place for residential. Avoid the Charleston traffic, good paying jobs 20 min south, live on a lake. Developers would be licking their chops at all the ag fields with no trees and a local government that is probably hurting for money and doesn’t have the experience for growth.

It is coming up 26, just takes time and some rezonings.

I don’t care much about the lake or the trees in it.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I appreciate your thoughts and pov. Look forward to hashing it out, especially the amount of developable land and how a sale of Santee Cooper's assets would factor in...
    There’s a lot of questions to be answered in the event of a sale.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

So much to consider. You own a 3 million dollar home on a small lot in Grosse Point looking at Lake Michigan paying ungodly taxes. They defang the police in Detroit.

Or a 12 million dollar home in Lake Forest and the same happens in Chicago.

You 1031 that money, bring it to South Carolina and look what kind of stylin' you be doin...

Development of SC is inevitable. I-26 is a long term threat to the south side of Lake Marion and Moultrie. Speculating developers are buying large tracts at the intersection of 95 and 26. That is a natural inland port and distribution area.

There is not much threat from the Sumter and Clarendon side. Water front is already occupied. They can certainly build off the water but so far it has not happened.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

In the 80s and 90s State Road 44 across Lake Oconee Georgia was a two lane road that meandered thru farm land and woodlands. It’s now Lake Oconee Parkway and there’s not a farm or forest in sight. Instead it’s chock full of hotels, strip
    malls and gas stations. I can appreciate progress but that place is overrun with folks who work in Atlanta and commute an hour each way. I still have culture shock going thru that place to visit family.
    Tyler Simmons wasn’t offsides. 1-9-2018
    Isaiah Bond didn’t catch the ball. 12-2-2023

Quote Originally Posted by Featherduster View Post
    overrun with folks who work in Atlanta and commute an hour each way.
    Good point. The new work from home trend now makes every square foot of ground anywhere a qualifier. The rural mountains we grew up with are fading fast. I may be the only developer on the planet working in the opposite direction right now. Less not more. Of course this administration is working against it all...

Mr. Lowe, did you ever say how this "make Santee lakes safe" thing came about? Was there a particular group pushing for this?
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by Featherduster View Post
    In the 80s and 90s State Road 44 across Lake Oconee Georgia was a two lane road that meandered thru farm land and woodlands. It’s now Lake Oconee Parkway and there’s not a farm or forest in sight. Instead it’s chock full of hotels, strip
    malls and gas stations. I can appreciate progress but that place is overrun with folks who work in Atlanta and commute an hour each way. I still have culture shock going thru that place to visit family.
    I did the best I could to put those Greene and Morgan county Gobblers on the endangered species list back in the day. Once Reynolds Plantation started their project, it ended the unfettered access.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Most legislators can make a case for each project I am sure. But they all add up increasing taxes for everyone.

Pro:

1. Lake Marion gets an additional 15k + acres of recreational water.
    2. Lowered lake levels, staggered over time which will revitalize habitat and stimulate vegetative growth.
    3. Homeowners get the ability to do much needed maintenance on sea walls, docks, ramps, and bulk heads.
    4. Opportunity to add fish structure on a large scale.
    5. I get to collect all of DUCK MASTER’s swim baits he’s lost over the years.

Con:

A hypothetical Nexton sized development on Spiers Landing Road.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I may be the only developer on the planet working in the opposite direction right now. Less not more....
    Genuinely curious, could you expound on that, please?

Sell off cuddo to developers, clear the stumps and lets have a free for all. Might as well, wyboo is virtually unusable now on weekends in the summer. May as well cash in.
    Last edited by wob; 06-11-2021 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Pro:

1. Lake Marion gets an additional 15k + acres of recreational water.
    2. Lowered lake levels, staggered over time which will revitalize habitat and stimulate vegetative growth.
    3. Homeowners get the ability to do much needed maintenance on sea walls, docks, ramps, and bulk heads.
    4. Opportunity to add fish structure on a large scale.
    5. I get to collect all of DUCK MASTER’s swim baits he’s lost over the years.

Con:

A hypothetical Nexton sized development on Spiers Landing Road.
    How much additional money do you think it take to remove 15k acres is stumps?

Con
    Legislators continue turning the great state of South Carolina into a yankee playground.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    How much additional money do you think it take to remove 15k acres is stumps?
    Who knows.

Won’t be tax dollars.

It’ll be private contractors, bidding to do the work.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodiewacker82 View Post
    Con
    Legislators continue turning the great state of South Carolina into a yankee playground.
    How familiar are you with Lake Marion?