Thread: Horse Nettle control in Sunflowers

Default Horse Nettle control in Sunflowers

I am having an outbreak of Horse Nettle in an otherwise clean field of Clearfields. I've already sprayed Impose although I'm pretty sure I don't remember seeing H.N. on the list of weeds controlled. My sunflowers are just about too tall to drive over with the tractor, so my options are spot spraying with a backpack sprayer or manually going down the rows and digging it up. Any suggestions on herbicides for spot spraying?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Another option is a propane torch wand- burns just the plant down to the roots and it doesn't re-grow. I got one last year for burning out sickle pod

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    Another option is a propane torch wand- burns just the plant down to the roots and it doesn't re-grow. I got one last year for burning out sickle pod
    I never thought about that! Looking at wands now!

got my tank (gas grill sized) bungeed to a fat tire dolly, just pull it along behind me down the rows.

Rear tine tiller and a cooler.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

If you’re spot spraying, 24d. Just be careful and try for no wind.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    got my tank (gas grill sized) bungeed to a fat tire dolly, just pull it along behind me down the rows.
    scout--listen to this part. dont get the small one that holds the 1lb cans. get the big ghostbuster style one if you want to do work
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I tried to find an herbicide that was labeled for horse nettle and the only one I could find that specifically mentioned it was for pastures and it required leaving the field fallow for a couple years. I'm sure there must be others but they're not easy to find info on.

You might consider a rope wick applicator.
    https://www.amazon.com/GROGLOBAL-Han...a-902659323756

Amateur horse nettle killer here.....but I've found that if you let it flower out you can hit it with anything you want (gly for example) and it's done....and by dove season the weed itself should be gone. Trying to kill it right now with any kind of chemical is tough.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    scout--listen to this part. dont get the small one that holds the 1lb cans. get the big ghostbuster style one if you want to do work
    Thanks. I was on the fence but figured bigger is better and could get more use out of the bigger one.

Quote Originally Posted by welltaut View Post
    Amateur horse nettle killer here.....but I've found that if you let it flower out you can hit it with anything you want (gly for example) and it's done....and by dove season the weed itself should be gone. Trying to kill it right now with any kind of chemical is tough.
    That's good to know. If my corn and sunflowers are made by the time it goes to flowering, I'm going to hit it with glypho even if I have to use a back pack sprayer.

I'm skeptical about using the flame thrower because it has very deep roots and the heat will only kill the exposed part.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    That's good to know. If my corn and sunflowers are made by the time it goes to flowering, I'm going to hit it with glypho even if I have to use a back pack sprayer.

I'm skeptical about using the flame thrower because it has very deep roots and the heat will only kill the exposed part.
    Everything I burned last year stayed gone. Gotta burn some Saturday.