Thread: Internet to shop - Help!

Default Internet to shop - Help!

I am looking on input for running internet to an exterior building. My plan at this time is to run a ethernet cat6 direct burial cable from the house to the building... about 250 feet total. My understanding is you can run an ethernet cable about 300 feet before you run into problems. Anyone can confirm this?

Cat6 Cable https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...T4FZKFA6&psc=1

In the outbuilding, I am planning on installing a Netgear Wifi Router, so I can have Wifi and stream tv. Anything wrong with the below router?

Router https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Now for the streaming media player. I need to be able to use Youtube TV. Whats the best streaming player for that without breaking the bank... this isn't a tv in the living room so am hoping to avoid the most expensive option.

Any input or advice welcome. TIA.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

The only issue I see with that cable is that is Copper Clad Aluminum. It can cause issues but it's rare. I would not recommend at all for power over ethernet setups. I'd recommend using the true cable brand for a quality cable. It's more expensive but a quality cable and I've used several thousand feet of it with no issues.
    https://www.truecable.com/products/c...31614589665347

Router should be fine for what you want to do. Since it seems you are looking at and buying this stuff from Amazon then a fire stick should do the trick. Prime day is June 21-22 so might get one super cheap if you wait til then and have prime that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That will work fine.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Thanks all
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Get an Orbi network.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

For better performance get a roku premier instead of the firestick. Consider burying two cables, one for redundancy. Or atleast a pull string inside conduit. Also look for a router with gig ports like this one. 10x faster than 100mb ports on the one you have. But you will need a gig switch at the house side too to get the1gb speed across
    https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-AC120...ear+gig&sr=8-5
    Last edited by YoungBuckTX; 06-07-2021 at 06:58 AM.

I'd highly advise against direct bury. It'll cost more in materials but I'd highly recommend a conduit. That way if the cable does fail or get pinched in any way, and you do start experiencing packet loss or something crazy you simply pull a new cable in.

And there was another thread about streaming players recently in the main forum. I'm a fan of Roku, over Firebox or Apple. Get the bigger box. More memory and faster processor than the little stick deals that plug directly into the hdmi port on the TV.

As mentioned above, go with a mesh network. You won't be disappointed. Orbi, nest, eero, etc. I use eero and have been very pleased. Caught the 3 puck pkg on a deal during prime day last year.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft