Thread: Solar Electric Fence

Default Solar Electric Fence

I have a 10 mile solar box (6v) running a double strand fence around my garden. It's grounded with three rods and about 30 ft of wire. I haven't actually measured the volts its putting out to the fence.... but it seems very weak. If my dogs touch it with their nose it will get them, but they can rub right up against it with their body and it doesn't bother them. Is there anything else that can be done or am I expecting too much out of a 6 volt charger? The only thing I can think of is to take the gate "handles" off to do a direct connect?
    Last edited by StrutnBPS; 06-05-2021 at 08:25 AM.

Don’t put a regular volt meter on it. Need electric fence tester. Grounded wire between two strands of hot will help with animals jumping through the fence.

Crappy connections cause issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Smilee View Post
    Don’t put a regular volt meter on it. Need electric fence tester. Grounded wire between two strands of hot will help with animals jumping through the fence.

Crappy connections cause issues.
    Could you explain a little more? Also, I'm not trying to keep my dogs out, I'm trying to keep deer out. I just used my dogs as an example.

https://www.harborfreight.com/digita...ter-96308.html

Would this work or does it need to be an electric fence tester?

Quote Originally Posted by StrutnBPS View Post
    https://www.harborfreight.com/digita...ter-96308.html

Would this work or does it need to be an electric fence tester?
    No.

And when a deer leaps between the wires it is not touching the ground. However if they leap between a grounded wire and hot wire the they complete the circuit and get popped. Constant voltage fence is best here or fast pulse.

Quote Originally Posted by Smilee View Post
    No.

And when a deer leaps between the wires it is not touching the ground. However if they leap between a grounded wire and hot wire the they complete the circuit and get popped. Constant voltage fence is best here or fast pulse.
    Got ya. I talked with my dad a few minutes ago and the issue may have been that the ground was just too dry. He said that one of the dogs touched it this morning and it knocked the snot out of her. The only thing that has changed is the 2'' of rain that we got a few days ago has had time to seep into the ground. Before that we haven't gotten any rain in over a month or two.

Default Solar Electric Fence

Come touch this one and tell me what you think.

Your dad is correct. When it is too dry the ground rods are struggling to complete circuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Johnny Reb; 06-05-2021 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Reb View Post

Come touch this one and tell me what you think.

Your dad is correct. When it is too dry the ground rods are struggling to complete circuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Other than what I have learned messing with this one, I don't know much about electric fences.... but considering that yours is reading on the highest reading on the tester I'd say it's probably one that you don't want to piss on.

simple:
    call Johnson. He will come over, take his shoes and socks off, and stand in a puddle while touching your fence.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    simple:
    call Johnson. He will come over, take his shoes and socks off, and stand in a puddle while touching your fence.
    Crazy what he will do for a natty light.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I believe you need a minimum of 6,000 volts to shock an animal through it’s fur and not just if it happens to touch the wire with it’s nose. I think mine around my dove field reads between 12-14k volts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    I believe you need a minimum of 6,000 volts to shock an animal through it’s fur and not just if it happens to touch the wire with it’s nose. I think mine around my dove field reads between 12-14k volts.
    It's working a lot better since the ground has some moisture. I've also started putting peanut butter on the fence whenever I see where deer are walking up to it. So far since I started doing that no deer have crossed the fence.