Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NC harvest

Default NC harvest

6829325C-73C0-476E-B0FA-8F79DA5F7D0E.jpg

NCWRC just released harvest data for 2021. Pretty good numbers showing the benefit of waiting until April go go after ‘em. Lots of factors, of course, but trending up is trending up.

Eastern NC has 2.7 asses of turkeys
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by wiz18 View Post
    6829325C-73C0-476E-B0FA-8F79DA5F7D0E.jpg

NCWRC just released harvest data for 2021. Pretty good numbers showing the benefit of waiting until April go go after ‘em. Lots of factors, of course, but trending up is trending up.
    That is a harvest trend. Not overall number stats. Those numbers coincide with modern decoys coming on the market. Also, I believe we have more hunters than ever before.

So you’re saying no one uses turkey decoys in SC? NC numbers are trending up and the rest of the southeast is going down. The only difference is we don’t start season until April.

So you’re saying no one uses turkey decoys in SC? NC numbers are trending up and the rest of the southeast is going down. The only difference is we don’t start season until April.
    The middle half of SC on up has always started April 1st. I bet our harvest numbers are up like that too due to the ease of killing them with decoys. Overall population numbers are on the decline though.
    Last edited by Rabbitman09; 06-04-2021 at 05:26 PM.

This chart is not accurate of the turkey numbers in NC, some areas of the state are just beginning to get turkeys. In most areas of the state that turkeys have populated for 20 years or more numbers are stable to down. Number one cause hunters and that is a fact.

Default NC harvest

The only thing that graph is good for is telling you hunters are killing more turkeys every year. In a nutshell, that graph does nothing to show overall population growth or decline, health, etc.

I bet if SC made a like chart it would show the same trend, but doesn’t give you any helpful information on the status of the resource or anything else other than more turkeys died. If there were 10 total hunters in 1970 that killed 100 total birds and 200 total hunters in 2021 that killed 150 total birds, is that still an upward trend?????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TXFowler; 06-04-2021 at 07:15 PM.

Let me let you in on a little secret. That is just reported numbers.

Think how many don't get reported.

If the numbers are going up or sustaining, wouldn’t that indicate the population is stable? If the turkeys are in a severe decline in numbers, wouldn’t the trend in harvest go the other way?
    Last edited by joshua2; 06-04-2021 at 07:42 PM.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

Quote Originally Posted by dirtnap View Post
    Let me let you in on a little secret. That is just reported numbers.

Think how many don't get reported.
    The state biologist actually have a metric to measure unreported kills. It’s included in the full end of year report. The report says different, but I’d say less than 2% of turkeys go unreported. Most of that crowd cant wait to flex their kill on Instagram, so they get caught pretty easy. The rest get snitched on by other hunters.

That’s the way I’m taking it, josh. Hard to kill a bird that isn’t there.
    Last edited by wiz18; 06-04-2021 at 08:13 PM.

Damn you have to report a kill? I killed a owl the other day with hummer. It was stuck in the grill

And a large portion of the NC boys are in SC on March 15 killing a bird because their season “ starts too late”. Want to have more turkeys? Kill less. They have a shorter season and can only kill 2 birds. Kill less and you won’t have to lay awake at night worrying about how other folks are killing turkeys.

Damn we catch all the flounder and kill all the turkeys.

NC Harvest: 21K
    SC Harvest: 9k

But Bo, they aint got em in NC like we do here, they just have more hunters. Oh yeah, and decoys
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Appears that quite a few states will be lowering their Spring Gobbler limits in 2022..
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Appears that quite a few states will be lowering their Spring Gobbler limits in 2022..
    While I don't mind shooting 2 or even 1 turkey a year if it saves the bird, I find it total bullshit everyone has to suffer so Joe Blow can sit in his pop up tent and shoot turkeys over full strut decoys. I pray to God that Alabama's population begins to rise again so it can be proven once in for all how bad male decoys are for the population. That is all

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1012 View Post
    While I don't mind shooting 2 or even 1 turkey a year if it saves the bird, I find it total bullshit everyone has to suffer so Joe Blow can sit in his pop up tent and shoot turkeys over full strut decoys. I pray to God that Alabama's population begins to rise again so it can be proven once in for all how bad male decoys are for the population. That is all
    I won’t disagree that male decoys allow guys some trigger time that normally wouldn’t ever come within rifle range of a bird. No arguing there. I honestly feel that the pop-up blind on a field edge with a strutter crowd is a lot smaller percentage of the total number of hunters than we make it out to be. Outside of a few guys with young kids I know no one that hunts that way. It’s boring. The larger majority, even the decoy toters are still walking around chasing gobbles and getting hunts spoiled by walking when you should be sitting. Another thing to consider is how we are losing fields. All the guys I know are hunting on timber land, so a road or landing deck is going to be the largest opening. It’s just getting harder to set up and pull a bird from 300y across a green field, because that field now has pines.

Just my observations. Your mileage may vary. I think opening the season in April will do more good than banning male decoys. I’m afraid we will need both if the trend continues.

. I honestly feel that the pop-up blind on a field edge with a strutter crowd is a lot smaller percentage of the total number of hunters than we make it out to be.
    You haven't seen how the entire TV population of turkey hunters do it obviously!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE